Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
126 posts
Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Re: Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Post by Silmä » Mon May 02, 2011 8:41 pm

The problem is that you can't really have only starlight, because it's just not strong enough. If you lower the gain until the stars look good, your ship will be totally black.

You will need a sun if you want to have a good looking space scene.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 03, 2011 5:28 am

Silmä wrote:The problem is that you can't really have only starlight, because it's just not strong enough. If you lower the gain until the stars look good, your ship will be totally black.

You will need a sun if you want to have a good looking space scene.
Yeah, this is what I noticed today. How would I go about creating a physically correct sun? My first thought was just to use a spherical blackbody emitter, but then again, there would be lots of wave lengthss that the sun gives off. Ultraviolet, infrated, etc. Plus, what if I actually want to have the sun in the frame. I would need a decent texture I suppose.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue May 03, 2011 5:42 am

neo0. wrote:Yeah, this is what I noticed today. How would I go about creating a physically correct sun? My first thought was just to use a spherical blackbody emitter, but then again, there would be lots of wave lengthss that the sun gives off. Ultraviolet, infrated, etc. Plus, what if I actually want to have the sun in the frame. I would need a decent texture I suppose.
Go outside on a sunny day and tell me what the texture on the sun looks like.

A spherical black-body emitter at 6500K will do just fine.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 am

StompinTom wrote:
neo0. wrote:Yeah, this is what I noticed today. How would I go about creating a physically correct sun? My first thought was just to use a spherical blackbody emitter, but then again, there would be lots of wave lengthss that the sun gives off. Ultraviolet, infrated, etc. Plus, what if I actually want to have the sun in the frame. I would need a decent texture I suppose.

Nice, I'll try that.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue May 03, 2011 6:07 am

neo0. wrote:
StompinTom wrote:

Nice, I'll try that.
Make it a disk and it will render faster :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 am

neo0. wrote:
StompinTom wrote:

Nice, I'll try that.
Please don't stare into the sun based on my suggestion. That was a joke...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 am

StompinTom wrote: Please don't stare into the sun based on my suggestion. That was a joke...
Haha I meant with the emitter. Hmm.. maybe I might want to later do a scene with the ob observation room overlooking the sun. You know, maybe the windows can adjust themes to block out uv rays and dim the brightness or something.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Full ahead :)
Attachments
ark_engines.jpg

Camox
2nd Place Winner

Post by Camox » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 am

The sign missing on the back. "We brake for nobody" :D

dag

Post by dag » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 pm

I would not want to get pulled over in that thing.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am

dag wrote:I would not want to get pulled over in that thing.
It would be hard to get a ticket though. :)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Well, folks. To make a long story short, I have been doing most of my modelling in wings 3d (not terribly artist friendly to be honest) and importing in sketchup. After my latest round of updates failed to import, I have finally realized how little sense my workflow makes and will be learning how to model in sketchup tonight. I've mostly seen people model square objects in su, but I assume that it can also handle curves.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 pm

I had always assumed that the simple geometry of your models was created in SU anyway :shock:
Having said that, SU is quite powerful and there is a host of outstanding plugins (aside from SKindigo ;-) that help with modeling to your hearts desire.

Look around at Sketchucation.com -> Forum -> Plugin Index.

I don't do much with SU but Subdivide and Smooth by Whaat and RoundCorner by Fredo are two of the most useful (for me). Heck, with Round Rorner SU has a beveling tool that puts to shame anything that Blender has to offer in that department!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 am

Headroom wrote:I had always assumed that the simple geometry of your models was created in SU anyway :shock:
Having said that, SU is quite powerful and there is a host of outstanding plugins (aside from SKindigo ;-) that help with modeling to your hearts desire.

Look around at Sketchucation.com -> Forum -> Plugin Index.

I don't do much with SU but Subdivide and Smooth by Whaat and RoundCorner by Fredo are two of the most useful (for me). Heck, with Round Rorner SU has a beveling tool that puts to shame anything that Blender has to offer in that department!
Very cool stuff. I dont know why I didn't make the switch earlier. Wings 3d seems to be going no where frankly. Their 1.0 "milestone" was basically impossible to notice if someone didn't already tell you about it. Sketchup looks like it has a very active community. Can't wait to get started!

EDIT : How can I afford all whaat's wonderful plugins? :) Im just a broke college student

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun May 15, 2011 12:34 am

sooo many words.... so few pictures :?
polygonmanufaktur.de

126 posts