Big Render

Come here for help & support.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
John_m

Big Render

Post by John_m » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 am

Hey guys,

Got a question on big renders, i need baisicly a huge render doing and my computer just isn't big enough, im wondering if they is anyway to render in 2 part using indigo and if their is any help on using it would be apreciated, i need the lengths to be exact for one i piece this thing together, the actuall length of the place where putting it is 41000 mm so quite big.

Thanks - John

Soup

Re: Big Render

Post by Soup » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 am

You still have 3 days to use the Ranch's renderfarm Blitz: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 00#p104600

Your image is fairly massive, 5 mins on the Ranch will take a massive chunk out of the remaining render time, but might not finish it.

Make sure you optimize the heck out of your scene then

Remember, with each super sample level, the image is exponentially larger, so I would suggest a maximum super sample level of 2, but probably 1 may have to do.

And as a note, rendering portions of an image then stitching together is not the ideal solution for this - use the Indigo save image feature for this.

See saving/resuming images

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:37 am

If your computer can't handle the render size needed, it's possible to divide the rendering up in chunks:

- make as many cameras as you need chunks (2x2, 3x3, whatever)
- make sure they're all in the same location and pointing in the same direction, so that the stitching will be seamless
- use a longer lens, corresponding to the portion of the desired lens angle that each camera takes up
- shift the cameras left, right, up, down to capture each portion
- render to the same sample level for each
- stitch together in Photoshop using the Difference blending mode to ensure a perfect match

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 am

C4D has a tile camera that allows dividing pictures into multiple images, maybe your 3D App has too?
But vignetting is your enemy here :/
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Zom-B wrote:C4D has a tile camera that allows dividing pictures into multiple images, maybe your renderer has too?
But vignetting is your enemy here :/
Not with lens shift! Vignetting happens at the extremities of the viewing angle, not the 'frame'.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks Tom, thats great to know!

But I remember that Cindigo had some issues with extreme Lens Shift settings,
so the internal viewport don't fit with the Indigo result anymore...
maybe fixed in R12 release and higher accuracy.
I have to test if this still occurs!

Such an issue could maybe happen with other exporters too
polygonmanufaktur.de

John_m

Post by John_m » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks for the help guys but to be fair kind of got another big issue now, i mean my boss has just bought a new power p.c today so the rendering ain't a problem anymore, setting the scene is starting to cause me some trouble, i use sketchup to model it as its a fairly simple scene so didn't need too much work, dosn't have all too much detail in either, but anyway the angle has to be perfect and i literally can't get anything to work to set the scene up, with the image being so long. yet the hieght only needing to be 2333.9mm (lenght is 41700) when i try to set it up i either have to completly distort the angle or loose crazy amount of resolution because of the excess space in the scene ( both of these are not an option ), I tryed the render region button, as soon as i got to put in the desired res, it seems to work fine but then never produces a render, just constantly says "updating image" in the top corner. I've also tryed to highlight the model, and render section only and as soon as i change the resoultion i get the same problem, any advice would litterly save my life!

(also attached an early shot of the model just to show the angle i need and the dead space.)

Should i post this in skindigo section? :S

Thanks - john
Attachments
Space.png

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:54 am

If you need a more "orthographic" view, you can make the photographic objective of indigo's virtual camera longer by changing the "lens_sensor_dist" value in the .igs-file. Not sure if the name is 100% correct as I am at work right now, without indigo. A value of about 0.7 is already pretty orthographic, depending on your scale probably. Just open the .igs-file in a text editor, search for the value and change it, then start indigo and open the file with it.
Not sure if that solves your problem, but the image should be less distorted perspectively.
Good luck!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:40 am

When you use Region Render, make sure to zoom out in Indigo so you can see your whole image. It could be that you're just seeing black because you're zoomed in on a region that's not being rendered...

As far as your composition issue, that just sounds like making your model fill up the aspect ratio of the image. The size in mm doesn't matter, just the ratio between the two lengths. Similar to what Polinalkrimizei suggested, back up the camera by a LOT and zoom in with the lens for a more orthographic shot.

cotty

Post by cotty » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 am

I don't know if this is part of your problem, but you can change the angle of view in Sketchup with the zoom tool and pressing the shift button (this influences the perspective of the displayed model).
Cotty
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:46 pm

This is really huge...
even with a print solution of 36 dpi, your pixel output is 59102 x 3308 ... this is MASSIVE.
In my opinion it might not be a good idea to render this one, even splitted, with Indigo.
If you split that in 10 pieces, you got 10 renderings with 5910 x 3308 solution ... and only in 36 dpi output, which is far enough for such output sizes.

But there's one thing:
You definately will get lighting, dof and vignette differences in these 10 renderings, even with shifted lens option.
A workaround might be to stich these with the Photoshop panorama function to get rid of the most differences.

Really tricky!
Are you sure to solve this with Indigo? You truly rely on consistent colors and lighting in all 10 renderings; and I am not sure if Indigo is even able to do so.
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 am

zeitmeister wrote:This is really huge...
even with a print solution of 36 dpi, your pixel output is 59102 x 3308 ... this is MASSIVE.
In my opinion it might not be a good idea to render this one, even splitted, with Indigo.
If you split that in 10 pieces, you got 10 renderings with 5910 x 3308 solution ... and only in 36 dpi output, which is far enough for such output sizes.

But there's one thing:
You definately will get lighting, dof and vignette differences in these 10 renderings, even with shifted lens option.
A workaround might be to stich these with the Photoshop panorama function to get rid of the most differences.

Really tricky!
Are you sure to solve this with Indigo? You truly rely on consistent colors and lighting in all 10 renderings; and I am not sure if Indigo is even able to do so.
If you use lens shift and keep the focus to the same distance, the stitching will be absolutely fine. I've done it. Using Camera or Linear tonemapping, you'll get the same colors/contrasts/brightness across all the images. It makes no sense NOT to.

5910 x 3308 should be very doable with Supersampling at 2, or even 1 if RAM is a problem.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 am

This works?
Then ... once more hail to Indigo! :-)
I supposed already that Reinhard tone mapping would create major differences in ... well, tone mapping. :D

Great to read that stiching renderings is not a problem then!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 am

zeitmeister wrote:This works?
Then ... once more hail to Indigo! :-)
I supposed already that Reinhard tone mapping would create major differences in ... well, tone mapping. :D

Great to read that stiching renderings is not a problem then!
Yeah, you can't use Reinhard tonemapping, as that will adjust the brightness based on what's visible in the frame, not the camera settings.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1