Question: Environment map and sun

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Alex Pisarev

Question: Environment map and sun

Post by Alex Pisarev » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:43 am

Hi everyone!

Just wondering could it be possible to use env map and sketchup sun together anyhow or it`s basically impossible. Maybe somebody knows how to get an effect of sun shadows with environment map another way? thanks anyway)
Best regards from Russia!

CTZn

Re: Question: Environment map and sun

Post by CTZn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Alex, Indigo can currently account for one single environment method at a time.

Generally speaking, getting more pronounced shadows from an environment map is a matter of dynamic range. In other words, the texture controls should allow you to set the dark zones of a lower energy than they are by default, and reversely for the brighter point (sun eventually). It is a mean to increase the hdr "contrast" without editing the image itself.

I'll let SkIndigo users tell you how :)
obsolete asset

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:48 am

Or make a small meshlight far from your scene and crank the brightness so it's as bright as the sun!

Alex Pisarev

Post by Alex Pisarev » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am

Thx for advice and explanation guys! It realy helps! :P i thought maybe there is something i dont know about skindigo.. but it could be a great feature to use this 2 things in couple anyway i think :roll:

Soup

Post by Soup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 am

StompinTom wrote:Or make a small meshlight far from your scene and crank the brightness so it's as bright as the sun!
Would this make a sun as good as sun & sky? If so, it could be a straight-forward hack for the exporter devs be to add a 'add sun object' tool - simply adds a small bright sphere just within the env sphere.

Although, sun light is all mostly parallel so I guess an emitter wouldn't quite have the same effect..

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 am

As envmap is a material that you may define with shaders, it could be possible to "add" a sun disc in the envmap during export. However, I think that Indigo will not sample the resulting envmap efficiently and this will be quite noisy.

Other solution would be "envmap prebaking" done by the exporter : add a sun disk in the envmap.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Soup

Post by Soup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 pm

galinette wrote:Other solution would be "envmap prebaking" done by the exporter : add a sun disk in the envmap.

Etienne
Might be the easiest way I suppose. The exporters would need access to a bitmap library though. It would be easier if the baking could be done in Indigo, as defined by exported parameters...

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Or an option to pre-bake an envmap defined in ISL?

If you consider adding a feature to Indigo, having the option to add the sunlight to the envmap would be even more simple I think. Then just add the sun, not the sky.

More generally, why not allowing multiple environments? Indigo would just add their intensities (which is very simple for making importance sampling). This should be very easy to implement. That's, I suppose, what Indigo is already doing with the skylight environment, as it is separated in two components (sun and sky) that you can map in two separate light layers.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 am

Hey, what about this last proposal? I'm sure this is quite simple to implement "additive environments" in Indigo, as it is already doing it for sky+sun... This would allow very interesting environment combinations, such as hdri+sun

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

Alex Pisarev

Post by Alex Pisarev » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:33 am

Hey, what about this last proposal? I'm sure this is quite simple to implement "additive environments" in Indigo, as it is already doing it for sky+sun... This would allow very interesting environment combinations, such as hdri+sun

Etienne
+1
That`s what I`m talking about!! :P

10 posts • Page 1 of 1