[REQ] Warning before interrupting rendering process

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
dcm

[REQ] Warning before interrupting rendering process

Post by dcm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 am

Probably im not alone who pressed stop instead of pause button or clicked stop by mistake. Pls, add "do you want to interrupt current rendering process? OK/CANCEL"

Thanks

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: [REQ] Warning before interrupting rendering process

Post by Headroom » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 am

+1

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 am

Yup :)
Eventually tell Indigo to activate that after a few minutes though,
otherwise it may bring some "annoyingness" to quick test renders

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 am

Why? When you want to quick testrender, now you need to press stop and X = 2 clicks or you need to press only X with warning = 2 clicks. With warning tab for interruption applied, you press only X = 2 clicks.

Its more about pressing stop like quiting.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 am

dcm wrote:Probably im not alone who pressed stop instead of pause button or clicked stop by mistake. Pls, add "do you want to interrupt current rendering process? OK/CANCEL"

Thanks
Pressing stop by mistake? Perhaps it's a good way to learn not to mistakenly press stop. ;)

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

pixie, i know you never did a mistake but im human and i like to warned :wink:

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:17 am

It would perhaps already be helpful if these two buttons would not be located in close proximity to each other.

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 am

I don't want to turn it to fight how one should use computer, but I agree with pixie. I wouldn't like Are-you-sure style windows as I am rendering sometimes 4 test renders in minute and 20 tests in a row to get shadows and reflections right, and this window definitely would piss me off.

Yes we are humans, and mistakes are natural, but also we are capable of learning not to repeat mistakes.

But to please everyone, maybe pixie's idea isn't bad at all. Maybe preferences window can contain checkbox "turn warnings on".

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

dcm wrote:pixie, i know you never did a mistake but im human and i like to warned :wink:
But I do, and still think that mistakes are the best way to learn. IMO it should be better handled by the GUI (as suggested by Headroom) so that you don't mistake it in the first place, rather then annoying the crap out of you just because once you might do an error (which will probably be easily reversible since you have the igi being saved regularly).

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

When you do testrenders, how you are closing indigo please describe ? When rendering is in process, you need to press stop and X to close it or when you are lazy and you dont want to press STOP and then X, you need to press X and OK on warning dialog because indigo is asking when clicking on X during render process. Still 2 clicks in both cases.

Imagine that my ideawill be applied - You can still close indigo with X and OK - again, 2 clicks. Nothing annoying here.

Guys guys, is easier for you to lookon thing in style of "how to dont apply this feature" like looking forward and support probably good idea.
I dont want to fight too but i wish you mistake by clicking on STOP button after 30hours of rendering :wink:
And doesnt matter if its mistake or dirt on table causing bad cursor move or disorientation at 03:00 after hard work at night.

Its like "why do you need airbag, learn how to ride !"? Prevention isnt step back, its something you can trust to.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 am

The warning dialogs can be deactivated in the preferences menu in Indigo, so should be the one for the stop btn...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 am

dcm wrote:Why? When you want to quick testrender, now you need to press stop and X = 2 clicks or you need to press only X with warning = 2 clicks. With warning tab for interruption applied, you press only X = 2 clicks.
True, but sometimes I like to let the previous window open after the stop (1 click), to compare with the next test render.
Anyway, that's still a good idea coz I'm a human too so I would also vote for a checkbox, or a delay_before_warning box.

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 am

Okay but we are still discussing about 1click, one second needed for click...we are so lazy, really lazy ? :roll:
Lemo/Arthur : checkbox in settings is best idea.

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 am

It's not the click, it's the translation and whole button targeting process thingie :lol:

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 am

Im going to montpellier next week to pick up something from Bordelet so i`ll call you and we can meet and talk about it :D

23 posts