Canon 5D Mk II - Maya to Indigo

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Lemo

Canon 5D Mk II - Maya to Indigo

Post by Lemo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:08 am

Hey all
As my first project on this forum, I'll post some renders of this awesome camera, using Maya exporter.
For now, the modeling part is almost done, and I'm going to start working on textures and materials.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear any tips on how to render it correctly, especially the glass of the lens, which is going to be the hard part I guess.
All the glass elements are accurately placed, and I may also do some optical tests, with lasers and other fun stuff.
Now I just need a screwdriver to reassemble all that :p
Attachments
5Dparts.jpg
Last edited by Lemo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lycium

Re: 5D Mark II

Post by lycium » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 am

Excellent modeling, I'm very much looking forward to the optics tests!

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks lycium :)
Btw the lens I'm doing is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Quite a nice looking one, with eighteen! pieces of glass
Attachments
24-105_block_diagram.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow...

Parented meshes will mess with your rig, that's a serious issue I'm about ready to investigate. Let me know if you bumped into this.

*anxiously looking forward*
obsolete asset

hcpiter
1st Place Winner

Post by hcpiter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:10 am

wow, nice detail, c`m ! please more :)

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks hcpiter!

CTZn are you talking about instances?
Actually I don't have much problem with the meshes for now, except for a single little piece.

Now that you said it, I did some tests, and apparently the "child" instance get the same scale parameters from the original mesh.
I tried with the screws as well: they look ok in regular conditions, but if I hide the group that contains the original instance, the other screws that belong to other groups seems to disappear in indigo...
Anyway no big deal, I'll just do regular copies where needed for now :wink:

PS: In the attached scene, the bottom lil cube get the wrong scale
Attachments
instanceBug.rar
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 813 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:09 am

Anyway no big deal, I'll just do regular copies where needed for now ;)
That's a relief Lemo, thanks a lot. Probably you don't see the geometry because it's somewhere else in the scene :oops:

There is another option with custom instances, using locators, but it's dormant as I was keen to remove it. I will, as soon as I'll crush this bug.

Thank you for the scene file, this helps !
obsolete asset

dag

Post by dag » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I heard you needed a screwdriver?
Attachments
sd.jpg

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:54 am

Okay, thanks to Dag's screwdriver ^^ I could assemble the lens, and start to play around with some textures.
The materials don't look as they should yet ... but a strong depth of field is an efficient way to hide that :p

@CTZn I need to do more testing, but I got weird results with a bump node on this lens meshes, even with UV mapping. Bump on a test sphere works fine though.
Attachments
dofTest.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:14 am

Excellent modelling, really Lemo.

A bump mapping on a lens ? This sounds like a strange idea, but there may well be a MtI issue behind. Care to elaborate ?

Is the bump map a file node or a procedural network ? Are you using Indigo subdivisions, and if yes can you please depict the mesh settings or post a capture of the UI ?

For some weird reason the texture gain and offset of file texture nodes are expressed in meters... but I think that I'll redo this system at some point. Becaus if these maya attributes have input connections the resulting value is probably not the one needed.
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:21 am

Sorry I meant the bump mapping on the plastic of the (black) body of the lens.
I'll update later with pictures.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:34 am

Oh okay my bad. I can't seem to see the problem in this image though, I must be biased !

Perhaps... are the mesh normals not normalized, or not orthogonal to the surface ? Sounds dumb, but one can modify bump and displacemment directions by affecting mesh normals, like I did here. If normals are messy so will bump mapping. And you edited the geometry a lot so normals might well be off... woops no wait, I didn't say that ;)

You are running a linux OS and the tonemapping UI is broken, right ? Or is it on export ?

Ok, if it's the UI I will need you to check Script Editor > History> Line numbers in errors on and pasting the line. I can not reproduce non-Windows issues atm. See too if there were no warnings or anything special printed into the Script Output.

Looking ahead to get clear the issue you are having with bump mapping, keep up the good work !
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:53 pm

I can't seem to see the problem in this image though, I must be biased !
Yes or maybe I just deactivated the bump for that render :wink:

The bump I tested is fractal > bump2d > indigoShader
Normals are okay and I'm running Indigo for Windows, without subdivisions for now.
I'm using a single texture file for several elements, and apparently the exporter only bakes one (with the corresponding area of the texture).
The result is one of the lens rings with the fractal bump, and the others with random bump straight lines.
What I would need I guess is a single baked bump texture covering all the area, that Indigo would use for all the elements of the lens, as I'm doing for the diffuse texture.

Anyway, as for the instances it's no big deal for now, because it works just fine with a file node bump,
and I'm probably gonna use a file in the end

Here are the renders, with the baked bump on the right.
Attachments
bumpBug.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:41 am

I'm using a single texture file for several elements, and apparently the exporter only bakes one (with the corresponding area of the texture).
I see now, that's indeed a known bug. The action is intended to avoid baking multiple time the same texture but that's wrong when it is applied to multiple objects: it should be evaluated against each of them.

The workaround for now is to duplicate the texture node to be baked once per object/UV set, in order to force its evaluation.

Thanks for the report, it's on the list now !

Note: In general, once a textured was baked one can tick the "Freeze Evaluation" button to use the last baked version; but then, you shouldn't change the "Virtual Plane" state because that would change the expected target name on disk. I will disable this last UI control when a texture is frozen.

Oh, you're on Windows... or is it for rendering ? I thought I seen an unusual Maya UI into one of your images...
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 am

Okay, thanks for the additional tips!
I'm using a custom skin for windows xp, hence the unusual Maya UI

68 posts