Indigo Renderer GPU acceleration

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Indigo Renderer GPU acceleration

Post by Headroom » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:44 am

Scenes that make use of displacement mapping can quickly exceed what fits in current higher end graphics cards. Displacement mapping is a technique often used in archvis.
In Blender it is very easy to see how many polygons a subdivided model uses and how many levels of subdivision are needed sometimes to show finely detailed structures without tessellation artifacts.

Just start tinkering with sculpting tools and see your free memory disappearing rapidly due to the high number of polygons needed for the fine detail that you are trying to carve!

Tom, I guess that answers your question ?

ROUBAL
Indigo 100

Post by ROUBAL » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Modern architecture sometimes use large flat surfaces with textures and few polygons, but sometime more detailed and modelled meshes are requires if you want to model gothic churches for example.

When doing organic modelling or modelling complex scenes with both characters and highly detailed subsurf models, the polygon count quickly increases.

In the scene I am working on (Rough render made with Octane - I don't remember the poly count : I am not on my workstation right now), there is only a detailed car in a desert, and the memory required amount is already 750 MB on my 860 MB available on my GTX260 ! I have no more room for my character which is detailed an subsurfaced ! And the set is only a desert made of a low poly deformed plane with a texture !

So you can imagine the memory requirement for a scene with several characters and some trees for example !

http://3d-synthesis.com/40-LandRover88S2.html

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:15 am

Headroom wrote:Tom, I guess that answers your question ?
It was a rhetorical question as it's also because of high resolution rendering + shitloads of vegetation. It's silly to say that 'most scenes' can be fit within the 1-1.5Gb memory of a video card. But yes, displacement can make the amount of polys in your scene explode very easily.

Spotter

Post by Spotter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 am

Will the program allow GPU rendering across multiple computers? Say for example, on a render farm.

Soup

Post by Soup » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am

Indigo has great networking features, and is already supported by the Ranch Render Farm. It will simply leverage available GPU power (if any) on each node :)

filippo

Post by filippo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Zom-B wrote:Hey Filippo,

At this stage in devolpement of the GPU beta, it only works with Nvidia CUDA cards.
OpenCl support (for ATI etc. Cards) is planned at some point...

If you try it out on a Nvidia System, you need the latest (beta?!) Drivers, since CUDA also develops
with each driver release, and older drivers that maybe use CUDA aren't supported...
I have nvidia gtx 295 1800mb..I think that this card should be fine...is this?
sorry for my poor language

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Filippo! Your video card should be good for GPU rendering.
Make sure you have the latest CUDA drivers installed for Indigo to work properly.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:44 am

Yes, that card works Filippo, though keep in mind you can only utilize one of it's GPUs at a time.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 am

Sorry Godzilla: you seem to have the thing cleare than me.
Could you spend a couple minutes to explain us what do you mean? How does Indigo andle the video card's power? I have a GTX480: what is its actual power used?
Thank you a lot!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 am

Hey Pibuz,

the gtx 295 is a dual Chip Graphic Card. Something like two cards on 1 board.
Indigos latest Betas only support 1 GPU per system, so this beast would only be used with 50% (1 GPU crunches rays, the other sleeps)

100 posts