Indigo UV problem

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Otk

Indigo UV problem

Post by Otk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 am

Hi all !!!

I am working on a "big" project, at last big for me :) I am making a Starcraft Marine scene, created it with ZBrush (posting a print screen)

As i said i created it with ZBrush, there are millions of polygon on it so i decided to create an another shape and try to apply textures on it before working on big file (to see if i can manage to do it or not)

I created a shape, Unwrap it in ZBrush with UV Master tool, adjusted seams, and applied it to object again, draw some colours on it, converted this paintings to normal texture, exported my OBJ to 3ds Max 2010 with the texture. In viewport i can see textures but texture was upside down and it was on 3ds Max own material menu so i am clicking on Standard button and choosing Indigo Main, then i am clicking on Maps section and choosing Diffuse on Indigo menu, then selecting Bitmap, then rotating U for 180 degrees and it becomes allright, no upside down, i can see it in 3d Viewport... But when i click render, Indigo gives me upside down image... I did not Unwrap it because when i rotated image for 180 degrees and it is allrgiht (i am posting Unwrap window also, you can check it) I dont know if i have to click somewhere on Unwrap menu to apply, or confirm UV's to say Indigo "hey these are your UV coordinates, so please use them !!"

Can you please enlighten me, it is my first big project, dont want to be unsuccessful...

Edit: And by the way, i am checking ZBrush forums also and i realize that %99 of ZBrush-Max users creating their meshes with 3ds Max and then exporting to ZBrush then importing to 3ds Max again...But i created it with ZBrush and i will export it to Max only for rendering...Whats the advantage of first way and disadvantage of mine?

Thank you,
Bugra
Attachments
9.jpg
My Marine, its not finished, lots of work to do...
9.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
shape zbrush1.jpg
Ugly shape with uglier textures on it
shape zbrush1.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
shape 3ds max.jpg
When i change the angle of texture in Indigo menu, it is ok in 3ds Max viewport
shape 3ds max.jpg (370.4 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
shape indigo.jpg
Texture is upside down...You can compae with second image
shape indigo.jpg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 4562 times

FakeShamus

Re: Indigo UV problem

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 am

in z-brush re-export your texture but make sure you select flip vertical first. then you shouldn't need to rotate or tweak anything in indigo or your exporter.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 am

There is a very short answer to your problem - texture transformation is not supported by Indigo. If you rotate your texture in Max MaterialEditor, then it means nothing to Indigo. I've requested it several times, but it has not been implemented yet.

So you should either try what FakeShamus told you or just rotate your texture in some external image editor.

Otk

Post by Otk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:09 am

FakeShamus wrote:in z-brush re-export your texture but make sure you select flip vertical first. then you shouldn't need to rotate or tweak anything in indigo or your exporter.
Wow !!! So simple solution, thank you FakeShamus!!! It worked...

suvakas, when i import my obj to 3ds Max, its textures come upside down. I tried to render it and it renders same upside down, then i rotated the angle and upside down situation is solved in viewport but when i render it, again it was wrong...Strange isnt it ? :)

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 am

Otk wrote: suvakas, when i import my obj to 3ds Max, its textures come upside down. I tried to render it and it renders same upside down, then i rotated the angle and upside down situation is solved in viewport but when i render it, again it was wrong...Strange isnt it ? :)
And I just answered you why it is like that. :wink:

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:53 am

BTW, UV transformation will be coming soon :)

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 am

lycium wrote:BTW, UV transformation will be coming soon :)
If it's true, then well.. awesome news, finally !! 8)

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am

It's planned for the first (and soon upcoming) 2.4 release, so not long at all :) Mebbe PM fused about exporter infos for it if you want.

Otk

Post by Otk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 am

You dont have to add this feature just for me :lol:

9 posts • Page 1 of 1