Maxigo 2.2 beta - 1.Feb 2010

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
subpixel
Developer

Re: Maxigo 2.2 beta - 1.Feb 2010

Post by subpixel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 am

Well unfortunately I don't use any of those.

Well, I'm more than interested in partnering with you, however my experience allows me to work on Max version only.

Regards,

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:57 am

subpixel wrote:Well, that sounded kind of discouraging. Was that your intention? I hope not ;)
Sry, if I sounded like that. That was not my intention.
There was/is just a big question mark over my head like "what's going on?, Who is this guy and why is he writing another exporter for Max?" If I remember correctly, then you didn't even introduce yourself. Your 1st post was about the new exporter. So.. you know.. I'm a bit confused.

In essence Indigo has not been suited for animation very well (at least so far). That's why this part of Maxigo is like it is. It's a quick hack and nothing more. Also there are reasons why it is written in maxscript. Reasons that go back in time when Indigo was free and the forum was full of enthusiasts who loved to experiment with unbiased methods. When Indigo went commercial, then Maxigo was something that already existed and it was working good enough to use as an official exporter until something better gets developed. There has always been a goal to convert it to C++ and next version will be.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:06 am

subpixel wrote:Well, I'm more than interested in partnering with you, however my experience allows me to work on Max version only.
No offense, but is it something like.."oh, they are using scripted exporters? If i write a proper plugin in C, then maybe they will buy it and I get recognition and stuff ?"
Really, no offense, but it sounds a bit like it.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 am

The quote you're referring was an answer to fused. It simply states that I have no experience in writing plugins for these applications (nothing more).

I don't quite understand what do you mean and what are you implying. I think that the bottom line is to get the best software possible. I hope you're not saying, that you're the only person that can write an indigo exporter for max or am I missing something.

Anyway I would better have a constructive discussion concerning feature set, bug reports and workflow solutions rather than arguing about who is who. The worst scenario is that we'll end up with two good exporters ;)

I'd like to encourage everyone to constructive discussion.

Regards,

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:11 am

Yes, you're missing my point.
My point is, that I see no point in developing 2 separate exporters for the same program. :)
Your motivation is a bit unclear, that's all.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, I believe that I've already described my motivation for this project. Anyway, I can state this explicitly that it's not meant to be a commercial (meaning paid) software, so no worries there.

However, I find your point of view quite strange. It's like asking why would anyone write Vray, when there's Mentalray for Max, or Indigo when there's Maxwell or LuxRender (I know that some of them are commercial, but not always were). It's a matter of diversity, I believe this is the best way to progress. Different ideas, different workflows, different fields of interest.

Anyway, I'd rather have this conversation when there'll be a subject: a piece of working software. At the moment there isn't any, on either side. I can ensure you, that I'll be happy to use your plugin if I'll find it better than mine.

I hope that this explanation will suffice.

Regards,

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 am

subpixel wrote:I hope you're not saying, that you're the only person that can write an indigo exporter for max or am I missing something.
He is the only person who contracted with Glare Technologies to do the Max plugin, yes. Meaning that ignoring the person and the actual ways of the company was gross from you.

You are good at arguing, but I would not forget the aforementioned point for the matter. You are sounding a bit like "may the best win", that's really off in regard with the context. If you can't understand this I will not even try to explain it to you.

Aknowledge your environment and interact with in a less casual manner. I understand that acting casually is your only option now, but that's because of the way you choosed to put it all in the first place. Small mistake really, but try to correct this before insisting further.

I've said everything and all I wanted in accordance with my own feelings, over.
obsolete asset

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:18 am

subpixel wrote:Well unfortunately I don't use any of those.

Well, I'm more than interested in partnering with you, however my experience allows me to work on Max version only.

Regards,
Luxology may give you a time limited license/NFR license of Modo if you ask nicely, for example.

You can find some info here: http://www.luxology.com/developers/extend_modo/

Though, if you really want to write an exporter for Max, you are free to do so :)

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 am

I have to say that, there was a small miscommunication from my side and I'd like to apologize for this. I'm used to some open-source communities, where posting a new kind of plugin is most welcome and encouraged. I wasn't aware of special character of this community and I'm sorry for taking this matter so lightly. Thank you for pointing this out. (PM)

My imitative was not intended to be offensive or hostile. On contrary, mine intention was to share tools one could find useful. All I was asking is some kind of feedback, whereas I've received more or less discouraging posts. Please excuse my irritation.

I have sent an email to Nick to sort this matter and till his answer I'll inhibit myself form posting new versions of IndigoMax, however I'll continue to work on it, when possible. Hope no one will be offended.

To fused: Thank you, I will consider this. However, as I've noted I feel more attached to Max. I'm wondering though about a plugin for XSI (I'm thinking about native renderer, though I'd have to look into it). I don't know how would riccardo feel about this.

dcm

Post by dcm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 pm

any progress with new vers. suv ? :))

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 am

I'm still working on it. 8)

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Excellent work Suv! :D

hcpiter
1st Place Winner

Post by hcpiter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 pm

hi suvakas ! when new info about progress ? :D

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Hey hcpiter,
There are still some things to do. It's not feature complete yet.
So it may happen, that there will be one more version of scripted Maxigo for Indigo 2.4. (scripted version is easier to update)
We'll see how it goes.

dcm

Post by dcm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

:roll:

49 posts