A scattering tool for Indigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Re: A scattering tool for Indigo

Post by suvakas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Soup wrote:I realize that this is almost a year since the last post.. but made any progress on it? :roll:
It's already included with Maxigo.
Search for "Maxigo-scatter" modifier from the modifiers list.

Soup

Post by Soup » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:10 am

Wow that's so baddass.
I'm totally going to document the heck out of that

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Soup wrote:Wow that's so baddass.
I'm totally going to document the heck out of that
Geting some docs done for it would be awesome. Currently I think I'm the only person who has ever used it. :)

Otk

Post by Otk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 pm

:)) suvakas,

I am thinking to create a Hoplite helmet with red, shiny furs, maybe i can "scatter" 10000 hair with this tool :)

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Otk wrote::)) suvakas,

I am thinking to create a Hoplite helmet with red, shiny furs, maybe i can "scatter" 10000 hair with this tool :)
The thing with this tool is, that scattered objects are always pointing up. Good for ground/carpet stuff, but not so good for making fur that has to follow face normals. It can be added, but this whole scattering thing was an experimental toy for me and I haven't had time to polish it.

I would suggest you to use Max Hair tools instead and convert them to geometry. Exporting heavy meshes is much faster now with new Maxigo 2.2 beta version.

Otk

Post by Otk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 am

suvakas wrote:
I would suggest you to use Max Hair tools instead and convert them to geometry. Exporting heavy meshes is much faster now with new Maxigo 2.2 beta version.
Ah, once i tried it and i couldnt do it but now i will try with your method, thank you :) And yes, new version is faster !! :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm

:evil: I DID TRY THE TOOL TOO! :twisted:

Trying to achieve realistic grass plane, but I didn't go much far :lol:

:evil: STILL EXPERIMENTING THOUGH :twisted:

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 am

The maxigo scatter is great. The only issue I have is the masking material boxes, you're unable to drag a standard gradient, checker, bitmap, etc into the box. (max2009 x64)

It would be great to be able to have a indigo proxy type object placeholder (like vray proxy/max xref), that you could place where you wanted, rather than random scattering. That way you could use particles, painting scripts, scatterings scripts and move individual instance/proxies as you please.

ps. How does the randomize panel work? :oops:

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey ENSLAVER,

Yes, indeed, dragging and dropping is not working. It's a known issue, but I'm not sure if it's because the scattering modifier is written in maxscript or something else. I haven't found the reason yet.

Proxy type object is somewhere in my to-do list already. I agree, it would be nice to have.

Do you mean randomize panel on the main exporter dialog?
It's material based. Just add a material you want to randomize to the list. Unfortunately it's not working with Maxigo scatter modifier. The whole scattering modifier "thing" is experimental and was born because I was fooling around with Indigo instances and I needed some tool that would make some tasks faster for me :)

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:55 pm

suvakas wrote:Hey ENSLAVER,

Yes, indeed, dragging and dropping is not working. It's a known issue, but I'm not sure if it's because the scattering modifier is written in maxscript or something else. I haven't found the reason yet.

Proxy type object is somewhere in my to-do list already. I agree, it would be nice to have.

Do you mean randomize panel on the main exporter dialog?
It's material based. Just add a material you want to randomize to the list. Unfortunately it's not working with Maxigo scatter modifier. The whole scattering modifier "thing" is experimental and was born because I was fooling around with Indigo instances and I needed some tool that would make some tasks faster for me :)
Tha's cool, it's pretty awesome so far.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Haha, I read the thread and I noticed, that I keep saying it's an "experimental toy". :D
Well.. yeah, it's a toy !!! I'll try to avoid repeating it from now on. :oops: :wink:

Profoxcg

Post by Profoxcg » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:22 pm

This is an awesome feature !!!!!! Im some way its more powerful that the regular max scatter.

I came to this tread and I wanted to render the facade of a building with some rods think of hair. But I just read this only works on planes?

I am also unable in my test scene to have the instanced ojects obtain the material and map of the ground model. What do I need to check or look into? I not longer see the "get metrial from ground" check box.

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:22 am

Hello,

Amazing content

Is it possible to get the ground color pixel based on scattered geometries with SketchUp and Skindigo ? For a carpet with grounds design it would be so usefull

Yes I know, more than 5 years later 8)

73 posts