IndigoMax 0.6.1

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
OnoSendai
Developer

IndigoMax 0.6.1

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 am

Not tested much, feedback welcome!

IndigoMax-0.6.1-installer.exe: http://downloads.indigorenderer.com/dis ... taller.exe
IndigoMax-0.6.1-RT-installer.exe: http://downloads.indigorenderer.com/dis ... taller.exe

Supported max versions: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.

Changes:
Added back support for max 2013 and max 2014 :)
Using Indigo SDK version 4.0.51.

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Re: IndigoMax 0.6.1

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 am

Problem seems to be fixed. Thank you. Added thanks also for maintaining older Max versions - the more exposure the better for Indigo (and my plugins I use daily).

Some features that would be nice though in the future:

- Ability to choose Indigo directory (for when we have multiple Indigo versions, and are testing different versions out)

- Ability to enable or disable gamma (this is so important I can't even describe. Even Maxigo 3.07 has this option).

- Ability to choose render mode (at present, only alpha exists. There should be Material ID, depth, shadows etc).

- Clay mode.

- Light layers list.

Jay-ko

Post by Jay-ko » Sat May 13, 2017 4:17 am

something weird

I have to add and "edit mesh" in the top of the stack to avoid any "Triangle vertex index is out of bounds. "

The nature of the object is jut a box converted in edit poly and edited a bit.

The diference is into the location/position definition and maybe also the mesh itself.
Attachments
PrtScr capture_333 (2).jpg
PrtScr capture_333 (2).jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 12940 times
PrtScr capture_333.jpg
PrtScr capture_333.jpg
errare humanum est

tar_gniK

Post by tar_gniK » Sun May 14, 2017 1:31 am

^ I can confirm the above. I get the same issue.

Jay-ko

Post by Jay-ko » Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 am

When this super uber cool feature could work (for real) ?

(An export confirm that the material is created, but not the link to the mesh neither the "model2" )

Then could you add a "scale" variable in the interface for that?
Attachments
PrtScr capture_3.jpg
errare humanum est

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

tar_gniK wrote:Problem seems to be fixed. Thank you. Added thanks also for maintaining older Max versions - the more exposure the better for Indigo (and my plugins I use daily).

Some features that would be nice though in the future:

- Ability to choose Indigo directory (for when we have multiple Indigo versions, and are testing different versions out)

- Ability to enable or disable gamma (this is so important I can't even describe. Even Maxigo 3.07 has this option).

- Ability to choose render mode (at present, only alpha exists. There should be Material ID, depth, shadows etc).

- Clay mode.

- Light layers list.

I added those to the bugtracker - except render mode selection. that is already fixed in 0.6.7.

About the disable gamma option: what is that supposed to do? A global switch that turns off (i.e. uses gamma 1) everywhere?

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 am

Jay-ko wrote:When this super uber cool feature could work (for real) ?

(An export confirm that the material is created, but not the link to the mesh neither the "model2" )

Then could you add a "scale" variable in the interface for that?
I fixed this for the next release ( 0.6.8 ). You should be able to apply any scaling by scaling the object in max.

tar_gniK

Post by tar_gniK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks Fused, I'm sure all us Max users appreciate this wave of improvements for IndigoMax.

With the gamma option - yes - if one uses Max without gamma on, when selecting materials and applying colour, Indigo renders an output that would appear to still have gamma switched on. It makes colour picking a bit tricky. This also affects textures. For consistency, I think it would be better if IndigoMax had a gamma slider or toggle etc, that allowed the user to choose.

Whether one should be working with gamma on or off is another debate altogether though.

Like the screenshot below.
Attachments
gamma.png
gamma.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 12036 times

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks for your feedback, king :)

IndigoMax has a global gamma option, but it's not visible to the user - instead it uses 3dsmax's "Gamma Manager", at least that's what it's called in the API, not sure how to access it in max (or if it's being used correctly).

So there must be some sort of global gamma settings somewhere in max? I don't know where as I'm a bit of max a noob, but I can try to find out.

I can also expose it to the user.

tar_gniK

Post by tar_gniK » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:51 am

That's interesting - I wasn't aware of IndigoMax using Max gamma. Although to be fair, it was more of an issue in the early version of IndigoMax compared to now.

But there is a quick test that can be recreated - open GIMP/PS and make a new image with a solid colour (for example 190, 0, 0).

Making a new material and using the colour picker to pick the solid colour, with gamma off, picking the colour it reads back as 190, 0, 0.

With gamma on, picking the colour, Max reads back 133, 0, 0.

If I then leave gamma on, and render, then Indigo renders the colour as if gamma is off in Max. The log window reads Master gamma: 1.0.

I then verify this by using the Pick Material in Indigo, and comparing the swatches in Max and Indigo. And they are different.

So if a client asks for a specific shade of colour for an interior wall for example with a swatch, I usually use the colour picker. But then I get confused, because the output is different in the Material Editor and in Indigo.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how gamma works. :?

Max's gamma options can be found at Customize - Preferences.
Attachments
gamma2.png
gamma3.png
gamma3.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 12023 times

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 am

Yeah it seems a bit odd how the max gamma is used by IndigoMax. I'll try to fix it :)

11 posts • Page 1 of 1