IndigoMax 0.3.6

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
subpixel
Developer

IndigoMax 0.3.6

Post by subpixel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 am

Hello all,

Here's another batch of fixes for IndigoMax. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Changes:
  • Added Indigo Settings material for setting basic material properties like backside emission and shadow catcher ability (might need a better name)
  • Fixes in viewport/camera management for interactive session
  • Fixes in scripted window for interactive modes
  • IndigoMax does a final tonemap on render cancel
  • Pause button in rendering window got disabled
  • Fixed: IndigoMax causes crash when closing Studio share scene
  • Some UI changes in settings tab
  • Fixed: Exported scene doesn't have resolution chosen in max.
  • Fixed: Background colour can become "infinite" showing black in final render
  • Changed coordinates from SphericalEnvTex to SphericalTex for standard bitmaps with environment type selected
  • Fixed: Unknown property: "MaximumReflections" dialog pops up
  • Small optimization for mesh export.
  • Changed phong mat to read albedo texture from albedo map channel instead of 'Diffuse / Specular'.
  • Changed 'Specular / Diffuse' map channel name to 'Specular Refl.'
  • Added indigo render mode to settings tab for consistency with Indigo standalone
  • Fixed: 'Failed to find node with UID XXXX' issue for specular mats.
  • Fixed: sky checkbox result being inverted.
  • Fixed: spinbox range for lens shift.
Download:
Indigo 3.6.23 for 3dsmax
Indigo RT 3.6.23 for 3dsmax

Notes:
Versions: max2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 64bit.
This version renders material previews with short halt time, it gives relatively fast response, but results with low sampling for more complex materials. This issue will be addressed with separate preview window in future versions.

Hope for some comments, suggestions and descriptive bug reports. Please post them in this thread or send PM.

Cheers,
Jake

ENSLAVER

Re: IndigoMax 0.3.6

Post by ENSLAVER » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Jakub thanks for the update, a lot of good stuff!

[*] Rendering with interactive or background modes produces this error: http://i.imgur.com/dneIQuF.jpg

[*] Export doesn't launch Indigo whether the "Launch Indigo" checkbox is ticked or not - the scene IGS file is still exported.

[*] Diffuse Transmitter albedo colour has no effect, uses albedo colour from Diffuse/Oren-Nayar instead.

[*] Prevent IOR less than 1.0

Is it possible to make the Indigo Texture "Show material in viewport" work?
I'm not sure if the White Point settings wouldn't be better in the tonemapping rollout, rather than camera rollout.

Will test more!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:I'm not sure if the White Point settings wouldn't be better in the tonemapping rollout, rather than camera rollout.
Hi, my two cents: in MtI the tonemapping was per camera (but the white point feature wasn't implemented).

It's good to see some moves this side of the renderer :)
obsolete asset

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 am

ENSLAVER wrote:Rendering with interactive or background modes produces this error
This is an issue with installer script (will update it asap). Meanwhile removing "scripts" folder from "plugins" folder should fix it. Sorry about that.
ENSLAVER wrote:Is it possible to make the Indigo Texture "Show material in viewport" work?
Will look int that.
ENSLAVER wrote:I'm not sure if the White Point settings wouldn't be better in the tonemapping rollout, rather than camera rollout.
Reason for current placement was SDK structure, but I'm open to suggestions.
CTZn wrote:in MtI the tonemapping was per camera (but the white point feature wasn't implemented).
Thanks for info, but I'm not sure what I should do about it.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:34 pm

subpixel wrote:This is an issue with installer script (will update it asap). Meanwhile removing "scripts" folder from "plugins" folder should fix it. Sorry about that.
Thanks, that fixed it. I'm not sure how many of these things below are caused by deleting the scripts lol.

[*] Changing from Interactive to Export renders as Interactive.
[*] Adding a camera and changing to the camera view doesn't restart the render to the new view.
[*] Rendering gets stuck in a loop where it keeps restarting or doesn't update when you change a material nested behind another. Example: Changing diffuse colour of a material behind a coat material OR a material behind a multi/subobject OR a material behind an IndigoBlend.
[*] This error occurs when changing geometry while Interactive is rendering: http://i.imgur.com/Y1HSL1d.jpg You can reproduce this by creating an object, pressing render (interactive), adding lattice modifier.
[*] Stopped render starts again when changing Aperture Shape.

Changing these should update rendering:
White Balance

Changing these should auto restart rendering:
Rendering mode (path tracing, mlt, etc.)
Camera settings (F-Stop, exposure time, lens shift, auto focus, etc.)
Aperture diffraction settings.
Filtering rollout?
Advanced rollout?
Environment Colour or adding a map to environment.
When adding an object/copying/instancing.
Changing time slider/frame number.

Will the tonemapping settings update instantly instead of waiting for the update cycle? With renders >15 minutes the update can take a long time.

Is it possible to lock the interactive render to a camera or view?

[*] Disable sun when map is selected for IndigoEnvironment

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the reports. Will have them fixed.
subpixel wrote:[*] Disable sun when map is selected for IndigoEnvironment
Not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?
Thanks again.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 pm

subpixel wrote:Thanks for the reports. Will have them fixed.
subpixel wrote:[*] Disable sun when map is selected for IndigoEnvironment
Not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?
Thanks again.
Sorry :D Just a suggestion - Uncheck the sun check box automatically when you add a map to the emission slot of the Indigo Environment material.

Just a small thing that makes it simpler for new users.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:33 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:Uncheck the sun check box automatically when you add a map
Thanks for a suggestion.
In fact I'd like to change it a bit.
I'd like to split Environment map into Indigo Sky map, Indigo Background map and Indigo Summed map. It would much closely reflect SDK structure and also would be simple enough for common scenarios. For complicated ones like blending background with sky you'd need to combine a couple of nodes. Also Indigo Background would be only needed for emission scale purposes (I guess).

What do you think about it?

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:40 pm

subpixel wrote:
ENSLAVER wrote:Uncheck the sun check box automatically when you add a map
Thanks for a suggestion.
In fact I'd like to change it a bit.
I'd like to split Environment map into Indigo Sky map, Indigo Background map and Indigo Summed map. It would much closely reflect SDK structure and also would be simple enough for common scenarios. For complicated ones like blending background with sky you'd need to combine a couple of nodes. Also Indigo Background would be only needed for emission scale purposes (I guess).

What do you think about it?
That would be perfect :)

[*] Indigo Coating material always displays as black in the viewport.
[*] Need an option to turn off UV tiling on Indigo Texture or Bitmap Map. Mirror is also a useful UV tiling option.
[*] 3DS Max crashes when you add a map to the Absorbtion slot of the Specular/Glossy transparent material.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 am

ENSLAVER wrote: [*] Indigo Coating material always displays as black in the viewport.
Fixed for next release.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

ENSLAVER wrote:[*] Need an option to turn off UV tiling on Indigo Texture or Bitmap Map. Mirror is also a useful UV tiling option.
AFIK turning off uv tiling can be performed only on mesh basis. Next release should have modifier for this and other purposes. However mirror won't be possible with current SDK.
ENSLAVER wrote: [*] 3DS Max crashes when you add a map to the Absorbtion slot of the Specular/Glossy transparent material.
Fixed in next release

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm

[*] (Interactive mode) Moving sun node doesn't restart rendering.

[*] Glass Accel checkbox doesn't stay checked/doesn't export.

My rendering mode keeps changing back to path tracing but I'm not sure what is causing it because it doesn't happen all the time.

1. F10 - Open render panel
2. Set to Interactive
3. Set to bidir MLT
4. F9 - Render
5. Press Stop
6. Close render panel
7. F10 - Open render panel
8. F9 - Render

You may have to repeat steps 6 to 8 few times before it happens.

Setting mode to Interactive also resets Rendering Mode to Path Tracing.
GPU Accel checkbox unticked on export. Not sure if working in Max.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Jakub, when you re-do the environment materials can you check that the indigo texture (or whichever map type will be used) will be able to open EXR and HDR. At the moment it only opens EXR.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:12 am

ENSLAVER wrote:Hi Jakub, when you re-do the environment materials can you check that the indigo texture (or whichever map type will be used) will be able to open EXR and HDR. At the moment it only opens EXR.
Done for next release.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 pm

[*] Max crashes at render if any hair objects are in the scene

On a side note the Groundwiz Lite and Forest Tools Lite plugins both work for scattering though there are some issues.

The Forest Tools plugin merges all the objects into one mesh instead of exporting as instances which can fill up your ram extremely quickly with very few objects.

The Groundwiz Lite plugin doesn't have the same depth of tools as Forest Tools Lite but it will export a huge amount of instances with only a few issues. Max will crash if you try to render too many objects/polys - you have to export. It may be a poly limit or object limit, not sure if it's a groundwiz issue or indigomax issue.

This is just something useful I've found while experimenting that might help other max users, not sure if indigomax will support any scatter plugins or have it's own tools.
Attachments
bg.jpg
bg1.jpg

15 posts • Page 1 of 1