Maxigo uninstall problem

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
Ziggi

Maxigo uninstall problem

Post by Ziggi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 am

Hi,

I have uninstalled Maxigo and now I get this nastiness each time 3DS Max is started:

Do you have any idea how to get rid of this?
I really tried to remove all Maxigo-related entries from 3DS Max folder structure but this one is persistent!

I appreciate all help!

Rgs,

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Re: Maxigo uninstall problem

Post by suvakas » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 am

Hey,

Hmm. How did you uninstall it ? Manually or using uninstaller?

Some files are located under user scripts folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsMax\MaxVer\enu\scripts

Did you remove those too?

Ziggi

Post by Ziggi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:19 am

Hi,

I have uninstalled it using uninstaller and that was confimed with "sucess" message. Then - indeed - I have manually deleted Maxigo folder in 3DS Max (User\AppData) folder as you indicated but this did not help.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 am

Hello,

I've ran at similar problem. If this error occurs on opening file, than it means you need to remove Maxigo Maxscript persistent values from file. The easiest way to accomplish that is to merge all objects from old file to an empty scene.
Unfortunately, persistent values get created for any opened file (while Maxigo is installed) even if you haven't used Maxigo for rendering, so you'll need to go through all ever opened files to wipe Maxigo clean. That's kind of bad programming practice.

Hope it helps,

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am

Ups. That's really not a good thing. I didn't know about that problem before.
This kind of behaviour will be gone soon when Maxigo will be a proper plugin.

Ziggi

Post by Ziggi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am

subpixel wrote:Hello,

I've ran at similar problem. If this error occurs on opening file, than it means you need to remove Maxigo Maxscript persistent values from file. The easiest way to accomplish that is to merge all objects from old file to an empty scene.,
Hi Subpixel !

Thank you for this feedback - I've seen your privatemessage but this forum sucks - I was unable to send you a private answer !!!

Actually - you are perfectly right. The reason I used to get these nasty messages was I had a MaxStart file created while Maxigo was installed. And this file must have been contaminated with Maxigo persistent values what caused error message each time Max was started after Maxigo was uninstalled. Now I have created a new MaxStart.max file and it's clear now, though indeed - I get this nasty message for all old files what were created while Maxigo was installed - what a mess :-(

This really looks like a very bad programming practice from Maxigo plugin creators.

Thak you once again !

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Well, I have learned this the hard way, as you did, so I'm happy I could be a help.
Anyway, this was one of the reasons I've started developing IndigoMax, which is not yet that advanced as Maxigo, but you might check this out. I would be happy to get some feedback.

Cheers,

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:12 am

It's too bad that it's the first time I hear about this problem.
It would have been fixed long time ago otherwise.
Subpixel, if you knew this, then why didn't you make a post about it?

8 posts • Page 1 of 1