IndigoMax ver. 0.2 - VRay support

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
subpixel
Developer

IndigoMax ver. 0.2 - VRay support

Post by subpixel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi all,

Here's a new release of IndigoMax now with native material and first of native maps: Spectrum Map
I hope you'll like the unified approach to all materials. Also I hope you'll be willing to share your experiences and thoughts and report any bugs.

As always, this application was written with no harm intended, but please take an extra care when using with any valuable data, please don't hold me responsible for any possible damage.

New features:
  • support for Vray lights and materials
  • support for tex_coord_generation
Current TODO List:
  • support for maps in IndigoMaterial
  • new material preview implementation
  • native Indigo Camera object
  • further support for V-ray materials, lights and cameras
Supported Max versions: 9, 2008, 2009, 2010 (all 32 and 64 bit)
Installation: Download attached file; Read install.txt

Known issues:
  • SSS, precedence, obstacle map, aperture image and some presets are not functional yet
  • this release is not backward compatible, so random values are expected in scenes saved with previous versions.
Attachments
IndigoMax_v0.2.91.zip
(628.26 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
Last edited by subpixel on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

subpixel
Developer

Re: IndigoMax ver. 0.2

Post by subpixel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Some info concerning mock-up picture:
column 1: Metallic surface with glossiness gain
column 2: Diffuse surface with reflection gain
column 3: Reflective surface with glossiness loss
column 4: Refractive surface with absorption gain
column 5: Refractive surface with refraction loss
column 6: Rough diffuse surface with translucency gain

Legend:
Columns are counted from left to right, attribute propagation is from front to back.

Hope you'll find it useful.

jinj

Post by jinj » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:02 am

hey,
nice release....the new exporter is growing ;)
I will try it as soon as possible and report any bug-issue!

edit: the max 2009 32 bit version can't be load error 127...

the max 2011 32 bit version work
Last edited by jinj on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jinj

Post by jinj » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:38 am

the light material does not work it seems to be a white material!
only the default white environment work!
I put the obj the cam in to a box... some obj with light material... but the image is dark!

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:32 am

Hey jinj,

Thanks for feedback and bugs report. That's very kind of you.
I think I've managed to fix reported issues, please check this. I'm worried thought with error 127 could you confirm it and supply some additional info?
As a bonus I've added maps support for diffuse, bump and displace.
Package was updated, so please re-download it.

Hope this version will work better.

Regards,

jinj

Post by jinj » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:37 am

well.. thank you for impressive fast bug fixing!

light material work, environment is black ;)

I try maps as diffuse and displacement... they don't work!

I'm sure that you will fix also this tomorrow!
;)

hcpiter
1st Place Winner

Post by hcpiter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:35 am

Sorry but Ive got some things ;) Overall is good see new plugin for max but first much comfortable is use suvakas`s plugin because in indigo we need more control with camera setups, light layers, ets all stuff is in Indigo window and that why is good. Your plugin looks more like in vray or MR rendered is in max window where is really small options(vray users use more Vray frame buffer than standart because max render window is simple)
After my tests Id like add materials from indigo looks different in your and suvaks`s version

IndigoMax
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/310/indigomax.jpg

Maxigo
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3105/maxigo.jpg

Is not good idea change material/shader Indigo because Indigo main mat is good and works good

native Indigo Camera object- I think indigo not need another camera because all you got in render window (can be just more option like vignettic etc)

support for V-ray materials, lights and cameras- why ? Indigo materials works good as well light and camera

Of course this is just my things and please don`t get me wrong I`d like help as well :)
Good luck with your version of plugins because will be good see 2 high advance plugins for Indigo :)

Best regards

jinj

Post by jinj » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:07 am

well...
pause/resume works... but indigo console is still rendering in background!
map as diffuse.. I can't get it to work.... they will displayed in view-port but not during the rendering!

I'm also vray user and it's funny to have an unbiased render, that could convert just the simple ones.... that make it much easier to switch between vray and indigo! whit out to spend a lot of time, in editing material for a huge scene!

I know that the to-do list is huge... so I have nothing else to say... ;)

is it possible to ad more option to max render window... or to emulate one similar with more option!
because indigo is unbiased and like all unbiased there is a lot of live image editing possible!

any way hope to see more of this exporter in the next time ;)

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:22 am

Hello hcpiter,

First of all, thank you for your time and sharing your experience.
Correct, if I'm wrong but would implementing interactive mode satisfy your needs (which basically is launching indigo.exe rather than indigo_console.exe). I might even make it default, if there are more users that need this.

Thank you for running your test and sharing results, but could you elaborate on test settings. What materials where used, environment etc. Did you use IndigoMax Materials? What is the nature of this rectangular quality in the image? Is it some environment dome?
Answering these questions will help me improve this plugin, which is still under development and has a long todo list (which I try to publish).

About Indigo material: I had no intention to mimic Maxigo material since I have no connection with it nor it does make any sense, since to my best knowledge suvakas is working on it. Doing same twice is just a waste.
Personally, I would just implement support for Vray objects, cameras, materials and lights, as one of my goals is to have as painless as possible transition from one renderer to the other. I work on daily basis with Vray and I like its structure and logic. However, depending only on Vray would make this plugin quite useless for considerable part of community. As such, I'm rather trying to mimic Vray rather than Maxigo, both plugins just happen to use same renderer ;) Also, I just find it more straightforward to define material with four main characteristics (diffuse, reflection, refraction and emission), than use magic names, but I might be alone in this attitude.

On top of it, why does a native camera make sense? Think about scenario where you have more than one camera and they use different settings. Of course, you can have two separate scenes, but there comes sync between scenes issues and so on.

Anyway, thanks for your time and effort, I'll do my best to improve this plugin. I hope to hear from you about your test scene.

Regards,

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:35 am

jinj wrote: I try maps as diffuse and displacement... they don't work!
Are you using UV real world maps? If so, multiply it's size by 100 or stick to absolute maps till I resolve this issue.
Also double check if you have checkbox next to map channel checked (don't worry about multipliers they're not functional yet). I'll add feature to auto check it on map assign later.
Hope it helps. Thanks for feedback

jinj

Post by jinj » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 am

OK I'll try!

hcpiter
1st Place Winner

Post by hcpiter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 am

hi subpixel !

thanks for your answer :) In my test I used materials from indigo, env- is from hdri
"What is the nature of this rectangular quality in the image?" I dont know I use standard cam and nothing more, maybe this is bug from hdri ?

Overall idea make indigo for max more like vray for new users is really good because now indigo is fast with GPU and for me works better and easier than other unbiased renderers so this is good time for new users because I think this is the most important :)

thanks

jinj

Post by jinj » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 am

the interactive mode work better than just the simple indigo console... because the response is faster!
stopping directly indigo console from max render ui is very slow... while stopping first render from indigo main window... and after from max ui is very fast....

only problem is that... after you stop render from max ui... indigo.exe main window close also.. but it's important that the window must remain open... to let play user a little bit with tone-mapping! to find the right light compromise!

maps are now visible during the rendering... but can't set correct tiling... any editing does not affect rendering!

any way ;)

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:51 am

To hcpiter:

I'm glad you like the overall idea :) I hope there are yet more people that share this point of view.
About test scene: I'm not quite sure what do you mean with Indigo materials, but I guess you meant Maxigo materials, which at this point are not supported by IndigoMax. Also, I have to say that env maps are not supported either (unless you use geometry dome with texture). If you're willing to spend some more time on this test, it would be great to reproduce this scene with IndigoMax materials, hopefully you could share your experiences here. Anyway, thanks for your input.

To jinj:

I'm glad maps are working. There might be, however, problems with tiling settings, since they need to be implemented by renderer. I'll need to investigate this matter, but it seems that Indigo supports only repeated tile. If that is the case, there's not much I could do about it.
Next release of IndigoMax will implement interactive mode.

Regards,

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey all,

I've just uploaded new version of plugin. I've addressed a couple of issues:
  • render settings (like form Mesh smooth render iterations or modifier state enabled in renderer) are now functional
  • issue with real world scale maps, it was barely touched since tiling options for maps are not functional (I need more info on how Indigo is handling mapping). However, all real world maps will now render correctly with fixed size of 1m.
  • added support for environment maps (both EXR and HDRI), just place texture map in Environment slot. Note you can also use Spectrum Map in order to get spectral background.
  • fixed some minor things, among them interactive mode.
This version has replaced old one so please re-download it. Enjoy it.
Look forward to some feedback.

Regards,

32 posts