Large Bodies of water

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
BZ Win

Large Bodies of water

Post by BZ Win » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello,

For my ship animation, I need to have the ship cast a wake, as well as have rolling waves in the animation.

Does anyone know of how this can be done in blender? or should I use another application?

-Win

oodmb

it can be done!

Post by oodmb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:55 pm

yah, blender's liquid sim should b eable to handle it. basicaly (this might take a realy long time) make a liquid sim start the animation with the boat. the boat's hull should be an aproximate form (very low poly!!!!) set the liquid domain size to be as small as possible on all sides although it wont matter if all the other sides are small and you have one long side (just make all the sides the same length). set the simulation size way up. it should work although it will take massive cpu cycles and much tweaking.

the only problem i see with this is exporting to indigo

i am not sure if this would work but you might want to try using a mix between particles curve guids and liquid.
a shiny monkey is a happy monkey

BZ Win

Post by BZ Win » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Ive tried something along thoe lines already, but I don't have enough RAM for an accurate simulation :P

Can you possibly explain the particle way? Sorry, I never learned the particle system that comprehensively.

oodmb

Post by oodmb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:11 pm

well, it might be more applicable to the blender 2.43 cvs, but you can use a particle emmiter at the same time as you use liquids and have the particles act like the liquid in unison qith the liquid (ie appear when something hits the water then dissapear when they hit the water.)

i have used forces in conjunction successfully with liquids before for example i used a vortex force in my blender image which uses spinning liquids (yafray not indigo)

i assume you could use a curve guid to pick the liquid up in curls in the same way. not sure how well this would work. as for high ram ... set the simulation resolution down to below 100 and then add a subsurface modifier and smoothing. you should also use lower resolution poly model.
maybe just a V[/img]
a shiny monkey is a happy monkey

4 posts • Page 1 of 1