Blender introduction video

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
benn

Blender introduction video

Post by benn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey all - I made a screencast to show installing and using Blender. It's designed for new users. Thoughts? :)

http://indigorenderer.com/documentation ... troduction

Josh
Indigo 100

Re: Blender introduction video

Post by Josh » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Render with Indigoooooo... render sceeeeene

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 pm

nice tutorial. but not a 'classical' way to work with blender and indigo together.

Is that Nick who typing in the background? :)
Check normals, dude!

benn

Post by benn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 am

Heh yes exactly it's nick working onthe material editor. :) You can tell from the speed of typing, it's faster than normal c++ (because it's using qt) but slower than email speed, and not in bursts like you would get with an instant message conversation.

How is the normal way to use blender + indigo? Can you explain please - I think I don't understand. :)

namco

Post by namco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:16 am

Hi,

I'm new to Indigo so I might just be doing something wrong, but I tried to follow the simple Suzanne example in the video, but then I get this error from Indigo:

Code: Select all

Error: SceneLoaderExcep: CSModelLoaderExcep: ModelFormatDecoderExcep for model '/tmp/Suzanne_0.igmesh': Invalid format version. (In element 'mesh', around line 94, column 5)

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:10 am

Which Indigo version are you using?

namco

Post by namco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:27 am

fused wrote:Which Indigo version are you using?
I'm using the only versions available from the download section (Blendigo 2.2.1 for Linux and Indigo 2.0.12 for Linux 64-bit), I just presumed that they would work together since they are the only ones there. But maybe I'm wrong? Thanks.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:53 am

@namco

Please get the latest unstable version of Indigo, v2.2.1 that is,
in the Announcement section on the forum. ;)

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

namco

Post by namco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 am

psor wrote:@namco
Please get the latest unstable version of Indigo, v2.2.1 that is,
in the Announcement section on the forum. ;)
I'd love to if it was available :lol: There's no 64 bit linux version from what I can see.

So if this is indeed the problem then it might not be a good idea to only have two non-matching components (render and exporter) in the download section, since this is where new user go first :wink:

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 am

*LOL* You're right. Glaretech. has to do
something about this very soon! :twisted: ;)

take care
psor

namco

Post by namco » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:23 am

Okay, this is starting to get a bit ugly. Officially it is claimed (on the indigo features page) that Indigo is cross platform.
Cross Platform

* Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 support. (32 and 64 bit)
* Mac OS X support. (32 bit)
* Linux support. (32 and 64 bit)
But the reality is clearly a different story. So either that claim should be changed to whatever platforms they support, or they should start to actually live up to their claims. A half-assed linux support is worse than no support at all, because you never really know what you can count on.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:29 am

Please hold your horses namco. As it was till today, when Nik was releasing an unstable
Indigo version he didn't provide a linux version. I dunno why he doesn't use an automated
script to build it. Maybe he does and he needs his box for something else. I don't know.
Hopefully it will change in the future. Linux was always a stepchild when it comes
to Indigo. Lets hope for a change tho. ;)

take care
psor

namco

Post by namco » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 am

psor wrote:Please hold your horses namco. As it was till today, when Nik was releasing an unstable
Indigo version he didn't provide a linux version.
It wouldn't be a problem that linux isn't a priority platform, if that fact was just clearly stated - but it isn't... It wouldn't be a problem if linux wasn't supported _at_all_ either, if that fact was just clearly stated.

Right now linux is claimed to be a supported platform, but it isn't even possible to download a matching exporter and renderer for linux from the download section!

I'm sure the guys behind indigo are working their asses off and that they are doing the absolute best they can (Indigo looks like a f****** awesome product!) - but it is just not a good idea to promise something that you can't deliver. All I'm asking for is for them to be frank about where they stand on the supported platforms. If I have to pay the same as everybody else, I want the same product/support as everybody else - or at the very least be informed that my platform is a low priority platform. I have to post question on a forum to get that fact from other users :?

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:41 am

I do agree. I think there are a lot of things to solve. From my point of view it was a bit
in a hurry to put Indigo in the commercial game. Cause that needs proper planing and
another kind of support. I'm seeing a lot of things I've been seeing over at Maxwell's and
i must say I'm not that happy. I do not complain as I didn't spend money on Indigo. So
I do enjoy what I have to play with. There are always other places to go if I feel to. ;)

Just my 2¥ ...

take care
psor

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:50 am

I will reiterate what I have stated multiple times else where. All indigo releases should look like this:

Mac Universal Binary containing Intel 32 and 64bit
Insert list of version appropriate Mac exporters/plugins

Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit
Insert list of version appropriate Linux exporters/plugins

Windows 32bit
Windows 64bit
Insert list of version appropriate Windows exporters/plugins

Doing releases any other way is just going to continuously piss off those that miss out. Pissed off customers, or potential customers, is not a good thing.

As far as I am concerned the biggest issue with indigo since going commercial is the lack of an organised release process.

Ono, Ben, you can't have it both ways. Indigo is either a commercial product or it is a piece of experimental freeware. If it is commercial then you need to start behaving like commercial software vendors and not freeware vendors.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

30 posts