Night Scene with sun and lamps

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
winnabago111

Night Scene with sun and lamps

Post by winnabago111 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am

So I want to create a night scene. Its just a interior scene with a window and I want it to be dark outside and lit inside with lamps. How would I create lamps in indigo since blender lamps aren't supported and can I set an image as the world background or would that not show in indigo.

If in order to do lamps I need to use emitter what would be good settings.

164lndj

Re: Night Scene with sun and lamps

Post by 164lndj » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi guy

Well for i understand

U Want a dark "outside" but a ligthen "inside"

For create "lamps"

Just select ur "mesh" and asigne it a material , after in the blendigo exporter set the material to
"emitter" (is down of the material type [phong,glossy...etc])

The blackbody emitter's are the recomendded for a interior scene , independently if is a night/morning/evening Scene....

Just try a little with the temperature and the Emission Scales, :wink:

But u can use some resources for your outside illumination like a HDR (exr) , a single bitmap or something.

For the dark outside i don't know a sh!t but some IndigoBlenderMaster will help u :lol: :P

Happy Blending :)

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 pm

164Indj is right

if you want your outside to be completely dark then I suggest you set your Environnment to "None" and let only your mesh emitters light your scene.

You can set your material to emitter just by enabling the "Emitter" button, I think a few materials can be emitters now, it used to be one separate type of material but now it's an option under the different material settings. I usually choose to make a Diffuse material an emitter.

Blackbody makes for great lamps especially since you can look up on google at which temperature they usually get and the input that into the material settings. As far as I know, the lower the temperature the "bluer" tint you'll get where as the higher the temperature the more "orangy" it'll get.

One thing to keep in mind are light layers. It would be wise of you to put your different emitters (if you have more than one) on different layers that way you can tweak them individually during rendering (should you be using the GUI).

If you want to be using an environment map, that's fine, anything I set above stands except you'll need your environment to be set to "Env map".

I think that's all the information you should need. Feel free to ask more questions as they arise :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:42 pm

First off, thanks for all the help. Second, what do you mean by light layers. I was planning on having each light be a different material. And what do you mean by environment map.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 pm

winnabago111 wrote:First off, thanks for all the help. Second, what do you mean by light layers. I was planning on having each light be a different material. And what do you mean by environment map.
If you don't know what env maps are, I suggest you don't dive into those just yet they're a bit complicated to work with, and I found them to be less useful for night scenes anyway.

Light layers is one of the settings that'll appear when you turn on the emitter option of the material. Basically when you set the light layer to say 1 for material x, 2 for material y, 3 for material z, then while you're rendering you can go to the different tabs (Layer 1,2,3) and move the sliders either up or down to get less or more light out of the different layers. That way you can make some lights look more/less brighter than others without having to re-export your scene.

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Ok and finally is blackbody what it sounds like. Just a black body.

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Nevermind I found it.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:06 pm

winnabago111 wrote:Ok and finally is blackbody what it sounds like. Just a black body.
Hmm, depends what you think blackbody looks like. If youre thinking it actually looks like then no.

THe filament here is a blackbody emitter:

I've created 3 point lighting system using light layers. I'll post a render later when it isn't so noisy. Here's the blend file if you want to take a look at it.

Layer 0 = "Orange light"
Layer 1 = "White light"
Layer 2 = "Blue light"

There is one thing I'd like to mention though, in this example I'M using "None" as an environment so I put one of my lights on layer 0 but if you're using "Sun & Sky" just remember than the "Sun" lamp is on Layer 0 as well.
Attachments
Light_Layers.zip
A three point lighting system to illustrate light layers.
(59.41 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Here's the result (rendered overnight, almost 6000spp), you can clearly the three lights (orange - blue - white)

164lndj

Post by 164lndj » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 am

Well in Fact a lower temp more "red" will be the blackbody

there is a non-ussefull test , cuz i forget to turn on the middle lamp [I dont wanna wait other 15 hours for 1784 spp on a P4 @ 3.06 ghz ( I miss my Core 2 Duo :cry: )] :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:

but the other Setting's are right gess :P

Show us ur WIP :mrgreen:
Attachments
15h1784spp.png
15h1784spp.png (919.56 KiB) Viewed 4268 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:32 am

That is pretty cool scene actually :)

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:20 pm

What were settings for the light emitter because I used a temperature of 3800 and it wasn't anywhere near as bright. Could it have been the glass.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:34 am

winnabago111 wrote:What were settings for the light emitter because I used a temperature of 3800 and it wasn't anywhere near as bright. Could it have been the glass.
glass can affect your light mesh yes. you could try adjusting the gain value or the luminous flux value (forget the actual name, I'm not at home right now so I can't really check)

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:01 pm

So I tried everything and it still doesn't come out right. I attached the .blend file so if someone could look at it that would be great.

winnabago111

Post by winnabago111 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Here it is.
Attachments
lightbulb.rar
The file
(52.55 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

18 posts