Looking for good cloth tutorials (and a few other things)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:15 pm

zsouthboy wrote:The fluid simulation. Crank up the resolution and it takes forever to process.
Hmm, I've seen lots of really complicated fluid simulations done with blender, so I'm sure the effect can be achieved. (I'm making a blind claim here though as I don't have much experience with blender's fluid simulator.) Could you briefly tell me a little about your experimental setups and test cases?

Borgleader,

Yes, this link is one of the "complicated fluid simulations" I'm talking about. I'm going to spend some time learning about the fluid simulator, and take a shot at duplicating the effect in Maxwell's preset previews above.

I'm hard-headed zsouthboy, so when someone tells me "Impossible", it fuels my sticktoitiveness. ;-)

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:03 am

Whoa, I didn't say it was impossible.

It's annoying enough that I gave up after a few hours.

Test setup:

Create a cube as your "domain", set it as such.

Create a much smaller cube inside the domain as an "inflow", choose "init both" for volume - this directly influences the size of the fluid stream.

Create a plane inside the inflow, at an angle to the fluid, as an obstacle.

Start from there. Playing with the settings available feels like trying to type with boxing gloves on. Constant playing and resetting and waiting.

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:26 am

zsouthboy wrote:so I have spent the last.... 4 or 5 days, every night, trying to simulate something similar in blender.

Impossible. :(
:wink: I think I know what you meant though. "Impossible" to achieve these results without suffering hours of frustration and losing hours of sleep. :)

Anyway, I'm using a long, skinny cylinder, parallel to the z-axis, very close to a slanted plane, and setting this cylinder as fluid. I give the cylinder an initial velocity, and let the simulation bake for 10-15 frames. At this point, I get *almost* the same results, but I have a ways to go yet.

One question: How do I increase the number of fps for the simulation? It seems to use 25 fps no matter what I set the Animation fps to.

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 am

Change your animation time, it's 30 s by default. shorter = more FPS.

19 posts