TUTORIAL: UV mapping in Blender + Blendigo ((Lots of pic))

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
Borgleader

TUTORIAL: UV mapping in Blender + Blendigo ((Lots of pic))

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Alright, so some of you are having trouble with UV mapping, and honestly for a long time that process scared me, and only after a while did I manage to successfully use UV mapping.

I will be going through the process of UV mapping a mesh in Blender and adding what needs to be added in the Blendigo script so that Indigo may render the scene correctly.

Step 1 : As you can see in the picture below, I've split my screen up a little bit. I usually only split the top part in two (and then switch between Script editor and UV editor) but for the sake of this tutorial and split it in three to make things simpler. And obviously this is the default scene with only a cube.

Step 2 : Now we want to UV map this thing with a texture. So what we're going to do is give it a material and then add the textures we need. (Often you will need a Diffuse, Specular and Bump texture, but don't worry you only need to UV map one of them. Unless you don't want to use the same coordinates for all three, but like I said most of the time they'll be the same all around).

Step 3: Now what we need to do is tell Blender to use UV mapping for these 3 textures. So you go back to the materials tab into the Texture options (yes very logical XD )

Step 4: Ok so now we've told our program it needs to use UV coordinates. We can now UV map! :) If you haven't already put it up somewhere, open the UV map editor. Go to “Edit mode” (Tab), and select (IN THE 3D VIEW) the face you want to map. Then in the UV editor, select the texture to map (Spec bump or diffuse whichever works, I for a habit always choose diffuse. They're sorted by file name).

Note: If you click “View --> View Properties --> Repeat Image” your texture will tile.

Step 5: At this point, you move the vertices around as you would in 3D view but, this is a 2D view. Then when they're placed to your liking, select another face of your mesh (in 3D view) and back into the editor move the vertices around, and repeat the process until your whole mesh (or the part of the mesh that needs to be mapped) is done.

Note: If you press “C” when your cursor is inside the UV editor. It will turn on the “Select active face” option. This is useful because it allows you to select all the vertices of one particular face (inside the UV editor) and move them all at once. This is particularly useful when you add a new face to your selection and it's vertices happen to be on top of those of another face. This is why you don't want to select all the faces of your mesh at once, they all get superposed and you don't know which is which.

Step 6: Were getting there! :) Oh and don't forget to save! (Ctrl+W) Now that were done mapping, we have to tell Blendigo some things so that Indigo can render correctly. So bring up the Indigo script. And go to the materials tab.

Step 7: Finally, all you need to do is add the file paths to the Diffuse, Bump and Map files in the the three boxes in the lower part of the material settings. Albedo is for diffuse (the color), Bump is for well Bump, and exponent is for specular.

Step 8: Well this isn't really a step as you are done uv mapping your mesh! I guess I could order you to be happy ;) Now I don't pretend to know everything, but so far this is all I have needed in my projects and it should, I hope, get you started on your way to making great 3d scenes.

Comments? Suggestions?

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks for tutorial. Very nice. But it would be better you write such tutorials in our wiki pages. And please, don't you bored by texturing cubes?! show how to texture something complex. and where is the result of your texturing?! :)
Check normals, dude!

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 pm

Hehe ok. I was just texturin a cube because I wanted to get it done quickly for solid snake. He was working on a project last night. And even though I gave him a text explanation of how it's done I wanted to give him something he could go back to if he ran into problems. But yeah I guess I could map something more "interesting".

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 am

I guess, Suzanne could give a nice tut :)
Great tut, anyway ;)

aleksandera

Post by aleksandera » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:13 am

So, what is wrong here? :(
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (136.58 KiB) Viewed 12611 times

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:10 am

Don't you forgot to unwrap you model?
Check normals, dude!

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:20 am

SmartDen wrote:Didn't you forget to unwrap you model?
Sounds like it (and fixed)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:40 am

Borgleader wrote:
SmartDen wrote:Didn't you forget to unwrap you model?
Sounds like it (and fixed)
thanks for correcting me ;)
Check normals, dude!

aleksandera

Post by aleksandera » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:49 am

It's ok! Solved!

Thank you! :D

delic

Post by delic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:00 am

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Blend ... ng/Suzanne

2.42 tut, now it happens directly in 3d view !

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:32 am

At first glance that looked more complicated to do.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

delic

Post by delic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 am

Borgleader wrote:At first glance that looked more complicated to do.
:D

http://download.blender.org/demo/movies ... der242.mov

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi

Very good tutorial.

I have a problem with some UV faces. Mostly faces with corner angle other than 90 degrees, and faces with edges not oriented horisontaly and or vertically.

Do you have any tips how to keep texture orientation (to keep selected faces positsio and orientation and scale and aspect ratio on image in UV editor)?

How to set scale identical between different parts of faces unwrapping?
:)
Attachments
im1237756789red.png
im1237756789red.png (719.01 KiB) Viewed 10144 times
Wrong UV stuffff.jpg
Wrong UV stuffff.jpg (497.67 KiB) Viewed 10139 times

delic

Post by delic » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 am

You'll have to unwrap your mesh correctly.

Use "mark seam" to indicate blender how to unwrap.

Here you go ...

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manua ... UV_Mapping

Edit :

Here, sorry ...

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:M ... ing_a_Mesh

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 am

Thank you delic!

I have "one" question more.
I cant't repeat texture. Nothing happens in texture mode if set repeat in blender.
How smart is it if i repeate my texture to 16384x16384pix in Gimp & is it the only way for cube projection. :?:
:idea:

18 posts