Set smooth/Subsurf error?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
5OnIt

Set smooth/Subsurf error?

Post by 5OnIt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 am

I've been trying to render this test of some simple glasses and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong. It looks as though "set smooth" is being ignored, although I do have it selected. I've also added a subsurf modifier to level 3.

I thought maybe that I didn't have enough geometry, as the first one I set "spin" to 25. So I tried it again and set spin to 85. More than enough!

What else could it be?? Yes - normals are just dandy.

Using:
Blender 2.45
Indigo 1.09
Blendigo 1.08
Attachments
glassError1.jpg
Errors
glassError1.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
glassError2.jpg
Close up detail
glassError2.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
glassError3.jpg
Overnight render
glassError3.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

mcm

Post by mcm » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:55 am

How about Auto Smooth function in editing mode? Do you have that set? Also, if you have a large enough angle, then all but the top lip/rim should be smoothed out.

lar111

Post by lar111 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:29 pm

It sounds like you have looked for the obvious problems already, have you tried applying scale and rotation ( Ctrl A) to the objects ? Sometimes that causes some weird smoothing problems if its not applied.

delic

Post by delic » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 am

exporting .obj, reimport !

Or try with an "edge split" modifier ...

Neobloodline

Post by Neobloodline » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 am

Did you actually select "apply" or did you just set it up and export it... it's kind of confusing but you have to actually apply it from the stack first then export. It can appear like it's applied but really it isn't if you run the exporter. Goto editing--> modifiers --> subsurf --> then make sure you set levels to whatever you want it to be, not just the render levels.. and hit apply. Then export. It's a crappy method and it eats puter juice but it works for me.

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 am

Just take what I say with a rather large grain of salt, I'm still a blender neophyte. :) It almost looks like you have duplicate polys sharing the same space. I don't know if that would have the same effect in Indigo as it does in Blender?
Grimm

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:12 am

Repeating patterns down the side of a glass happen in real life.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 am

Neobloodline, that's just partly right:
The subsurf, being visible in the viewport, also gets rendered. No need to apply it.
But if you want to render it at a higher res than your viewport shows, you need to set your subsurf value to the according value in the very end. As then, your viewport also shows it, you still don't need to apply the modifier ;)

mcm: you shouldn't use autosmoothing in Indigo. It's buggy. If you meant that, yeah 50nIt, check for autosmoothing and turn it off, if you used it. ;)

Apply Scale rot also always is a good idea :)

And an other possible thing: Try to remove doubles... It could be, that the normals simply are ignored, because there actually are gaps ;)

5OnIt

Post by 5OnIt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 am

Ono... I beg to disagree.

Granted, you know more about this stuff than I'll ever hope to know, that's just a given, but I'm not seeing this problem in other renderings. I started this model as a way to reproduce the errors photoguy is getting in his render..
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3839

I didn't reproduce his error, but you can see that his render is not doing what mine is. I also don't see this type of strangeness when looking through any of the Glassware renderings in the Gallery.

I do agree with most of what Kram posted. I know you don't have to apply subsurfing, but I tried it anyway just to see if there was a difference, and there wasn't. I rarely (if ever) use autosmooth as I usually just use an edge split modifier if I need to. As before - I tried both anyway to see if there would be a difference, and there wasn't.

I applied scale and rotation, no difference.

I removed doubles and check normals about 38 times or more. Everything is fine, no difference.

Maybe I'll just post the .blend file and have another pair of eyes look at this, as I'm out of ideas.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 am

I said *real life*, not other renderings.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 am

hum... you set spin to 25 and 85...
why didn't you simply model the whole thing from a circle?
try to use the cast modifier so that the shape gets *really* round.... That could also be the problem.
Oh, and you'll need to use two cast modifiers, limited to each the inner and the outer wall, per assigning according vertex groups and you'll also need to switch "sphere" to "cylinder" ;)

....Or you simply remodel them from scratch.

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:40 pm

5OnIt

It will be almost impossible to recreate the same errors Photoguy had in his scene. Even the slightest difference in thickness and shape of the glass, even on it's base will create a completely new thing, you have to remember you are almost playing with lenses no matter if your IOR's are correct.
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

BbB

Post by BbB » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 pm

5OnIt

I second Kram. I would model such a simple glass starting with a circle.
Anyway, if you could show us a wireframe of your glass in edit mode (i.e. without modifiers), I'm sure that would help finding the source of the problem.

mcm

Post by mcm » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Kram1032 wrote:....you shouldn't use autosmoothing in Indigo. It's buggy. If you meant that, yeah 50nIt, check for autosmoothing and turn it off, if you used it. ;)...
hmm, I did not realize that it was buggy. I actually had an identical set of segmented rendering problems with a glass object. I turned on autosmoothing, set a high angle, and they went away :?

5OnIt

Post by 5OnIt » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:19 pm

BbB wrote:I second Kram. I would model such a simple glass starting with a circle. Anyway, if you could show us a wireframe of your glass in edit mode (i.e. without modifiers), I'm sure that would help finding the source of the problem.
BbB - Thanks but I've already tried that. Started with a Cylinder, no difference. I'm just going to upload the file and let someone else look at it. I've looked at this thing 'till it felt like my eyes were about to bleed and I still don't see anything wrong.
Attachments
GOWTestB.blend.zip
Blend File
(88.56 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

18 posts