Some suggestions

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
manitwo

Some suggestions

Post by manitwo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:01 am

Hi guys,

Long time ago since i wrote something in here. One reason is that i don't felt so well in the indigo-community as years ago - too much spamming and people who want to raise their post-counts no matter what crap they post - but it looks like that changed a bit now. The other reason was i was switching the operating system (i'm on ubuntu now and it really rocks!) and theres no native linux version of my beloved c4d (runs in wine but not as good as i hoped it would) so i had to get familiar with blender. The relationship between blender and me is best described as a love-hate-relationship. I already tried several times to switch to blender but always went back to c4d. On the one hand blender has a really outstanding featurelist but on the other hand blender has still enough areas which are feature-lacking + the much discussed contrary gui + too much fanboys with blinders on. But the person who dont see that blender is getting better and better with every release is also blind. So i decided to switch.
Blender is not as comfortable as i would like and in some areas much more complicated than any other 3d-package i had worked with but now i am (after a long time) able to work with.
puhh :D enough from me!

So started to use indigo again and therefore discovering blendigo.
I already sent smartden a pm with some suggestion but now i have a "few" more of those and wanted to to know what the community thinks about.

Let me summarize those things which i've noticed:

-- the default material blendigo creates has <rgb>1 1 1</rgb>, wouldnt it be better to clamp to values to <rgb>0.8 0.8 0.8</rgb>?

-- blendigo claims it can't find IndigoWrapper.conf cause the included file in the .zip is named Indigowrapper.conf (linux is case-sensitive)

-- can you make blendigo's rendersettings-export optional? maybe some people (include me :) ) want indigo to use the settings of the inifile ... (or give the user the choice to decide wich parameter gets exported and which not [if i want to export only the render resolution for example])

-- The default gamma value for "Albedo" is 2.3 .... shouldn't it be 2.2?

-- For newbies it might be more understandable if "Albedo" is renamed to "ImageMap" (also "BumpMap" and "ExponentMap")

-- It would be more logical if the camera-tonemapping specific options (ISO, Exposure) could be found under "Tonemap - Camera" rather than under "Camera" cause these options won't do anything if linear or reinhard is enabled.

-- I would dump the "Extra Atmospheric" button - no one uses it. (this is a really experimental function and should be hidden from the average user)

-- "ray nudge" should also be hidden. nobody should be able to touch that value except those who know what it is - and those who know are able to change that value manually.

-- whats "hybrid_threshold"? bih_tri_threshold? if yes - dump that also (same reason as above) - or hide it - or give it another name cause the average user will think its connected with the hybrid-rendering-mode

-- for what is the "uvset" option under the texture-slots in blendigo? any reason a user should touch that? (as i said im not [yet] familiar enough with blendigo/blender)

-- it's not really obvious (for those who dont read it anywhere) that the "b" parameter of the bumpmap influences the bump-strength. dont know whats the best way to solve that problem myself tho.

-- most people nowadays have a muli-core-cpu but the default setting in blendigo is "t - 1". So if you dont alter that value indigo is running at half speed. Use indigos auto_num_thread instead and make the thread parameter optional.

Those are, of course, only suggestions to improve the already wonderfull blendigo. Many thanks to all which have contributed in this exporter!
Hope you guys dont mind the long post ;)

SimonLarsen

Post by SimonLarsen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:08 am

Great suggestions Manitwo. I pretty much agree on all of them. ^^

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:16 am

hey manitwo,

i not trying to spam around, but if i read what you dont like about blendigo, it seems like cindigo is exactly what you need ;)

im not saying ubuntu isnt a grat OS(it definitley is), but why dump windows? (no, really... whats so bad about it?!?! :S) what about all the great games(and software)?

manitwo

Post by manitwo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:36 am

hey fused,

i'm not saying windows is completly bad either. it's just there are a few things i don't like on windows (viruses, bloat/spy-ware, the need of a firewall, the hdd fragmenting, the company, the fact that windows get slower and buggy after time [and it surely does], the fact that every app does what it wants [autostart, own uninstaller, own updater, ...] and much more ...) but i havn't switched because i dont like windows, i switched because i felt in love with linux. and its a great feeling if everthing you need and want to do work with free software.
i didn't dump windows - i still have it as an option in my boot menu but always reboot to do something in 3d sucks.
it's a pitty cause i love cinema and as i said several times before you did a wonderfull job on cindigo (it's nearly perfect) i really love cindigo!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:52 am

People spam... it's human nature, cheap talk, yada yada... IMO we are what we make of it, no one conforms you reading what you don't want, you might as well skip it, perhaps not everyone has the skill to make such thoughtful post as you and many others do, but there's no need to abandon Indigo, you just have to show them how it's done and spam harder, but this time with such insightful posts. ;-)

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:18 pm

well some of those things are done in other blendigo versions already.. :wink: and indigo clamps values silently anyway..

bumpmap has long had a tooltip that tells you of its use and an underline to the field to catch your eye..
I put all the stuff in mine so I can try whatever ono cooks up - doesnt mean it all gets used often...I also have other experimental bits in there that I fancy but no one else does.. :lol:

if you only want to change one item open the .igs in notepad or whatever.. :wink: I dont know really why you would want to use the inifile if you had an exporter with all the options :roll:

good to see you back 8)
hope to see some more helpful posts from you

JDA

Post by JDA » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:31 am

-- For newbies it might be more understandable if "Albedo" is renamed to "ImageMap" (also "BumpMap" and "ExponentMap")
As a noobie I was confused by that.
I never even heard of that word.

Personally I agree it should be changed to image map or even better
Color Map.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:43 am

Indigo's white-clamp is at 0.9.... I guess, "default" 0.8 is quite a good idea, as white paper has about a reflectivity of 80%....

I dunno, why it's still called hybrid threshold... I think, it was due to a misunderstanding at the beginning of the BIH-stuff... Some ppl already mentioned it, but it never got fixed...

Maybe, it would really be a good idea to have two or three modes, which have a different amount of options....
Noob - basic stuff
Standard - more complicated stuff, which sometimes needs to be changed to optimize the scene appearance
Advanced - Every option, Blendigo offers...
though, I guess, that's quite some work...

The A B C parameters do different stuff, than just changing bump-strength... The most important one is the B-value, though.

Gamma's at 2.3? Lol, didn't notice that... Yeah, it for sure should be 2.2 :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am

Nice to see you back Manitwo :)

The switch from win+c4d to linux+blender was done by Labelo too (not that long ago).
Maybe you guys can have a chat about your experiences etc. ;-)
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Kram: I've increased the albedo threshold to 1.0 (as of v1.0.8).
So you need to be even more careful now.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:04 am

Oh? Why that?

5OnIt

Post by 5OnIt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:39 am

I love Blendigo, Smart Den has done a wonderful job and it's hard to complain when both he and One are doing this for free and their only reward is our thank-yous

One thing I would like in Blendigo is a pull down menu for the scale factor. I agree with Manitwo that beginners are confused by the different settings which is why some won't switch to Indigo. A Pull down menu set up like this...

One Blender Unit =
1 Meter (Default)
1 Centimeter
1 Inch
1 Foot
1 MM
Other...

If the user chooses "Other" they can type in their own value.
Again, I'd love and use Blendigo either way but it would be convenient to have.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:59 am

Uhm, just change the multiplier, for now....

1 centimeter = 0.01 meters
1 inch = 0.0254 meters
1 foot = 0.3048 meters
1 millimeter = 0.001 meters

Ah, I love google^^

5OnIt

Post by 5OnIt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:30 am

Kram1032 wrote:Uhm, just change the multiplier, for now....
I do. I'm just saying a pull down menu would be more convenient and may be less confusing for new users.

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm

5OnIt wrote:I love Blendigo, Smart Den has done a wonderful job and it's hard to complain when both he and One are doing this for free and their only reward is our thank-yous

One thing I would like in Blendigo is a pull down menu for the scale factor. I agree with Manitwo that beginners are confused by the different settings which is why some won't switch to Indigo. A Pull down menu set up like this...

One Blender Unit =
1 Meter (Default)
1 Centimeter
1 Inch
1 Foot
1 MM
Other...

If the user chooses "Other" they can type in their own value.
Again, I'd love and use Blendigo either way but it would be convenient to have.
took over in my todo list

28 posts