Post by joegiampaoli » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:49 am

:?: :?: :?:
Don't work here
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:03 am

Quick question: Can I use material from Schott Glass Material Library from blendigo or do I have to edit XML file for it?

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 am

You can choose an external material
then you indicate the path of the file .igm (.igml)

If it doesn't work, I don't know :?: :D

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:43 am

yep, tried that already, it doesn't work witch igml library. Or mayby I don't know how tu use it, tried like that: library.igml\materialName.

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:22 am

Hey SmartDen, thank you for the great exporter. I have run into a bit of a problem, but I don't know if it has been fixed and I just need to download it again or if it's something new. In the materials tab, when I preview, I have to set the UV Set to "default" for the sphere preview, all of the others require it to be set to "uv". And when you do the actual render all of them need to be set to "uv". It's no biggie, just frustrating when I want to preview with the sphere. :)
Grimm

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 am

Uhm...
You always need to use the UV-mapping channel, as else, Indigo wouldn't know, how to use the texture...
The only exception is the (Texturizable) sphere-primitive, which needs to be set on Orco, so that the texture gets mapped over it.
Not a Blendigo thingy (at least, if I got you right) but an Indigo thingy and surely no bug ;)

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks Kram,

It's probably something I'm doing wrong. But if what you say is true, then it would be nice if Blendigo handled this transparently so I don't have to keep changing the UV set manually every time I want to preview with the sphere primitive. It is really a pain with blended materials.
Grimm

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am

Hum... is the sphere preview no sphere primitive?
Maybe it isn't... As it's set up for allowing textures and it was "invented" before sphere primitives actually got texturizeable...
So, the easiest way would be, to rebuild the scene and change the sphere to a primitive.... (This would also slightly decrease rendertimes as such a sphere can be handled faster than a highpoly monster :) )

Hans

Post by Hans » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:54 am

Hello everyone,

Thanks for creating and publishing the great script Blendigo for v1.0, I love it. I'm enjoying using the Indigo renderer with it now and it works well so smoothly, what a cool script it is!

I like the way of linking materials to objects rather than meshes in Blender, selecting the button OB as you can see in the image below, and I always do that when modelling.
However, it was found that the script didn't work well for linking materials to objects. I tried rendering with Indigo after doing that and got a render in which the materials were ignored.

I really needed the ability that the script can understand the links of materials to objects, so I have modified the script and here is that.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/00dfa1f0-9552 ... _by_HansPG
All that you have to do to use the modified script is to replace the file blendigo_v104.py to the downloaded one. What do you think of it?

I hope it can be implemented as a formal version in the development.

Thanks.

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks for your version Hans. Excuse my ignorance, but what difference or what advantage does it offer to link materials to objects? I just tried pressing the "ob" option in one of my materials and all its options and settings disappeared. Does this affect when rendering with internal? So I guess your suggestion is only for the blendigo material editor?

regards,
Alvaro
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

Hans

Post by Hans » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks for your reply, afecelis.
afecelis wrote:I just tried pressing the "ob" option in one of my materials and all its options and settings disappeared.
Yeah, only pressing the OB button will make nothing. After pressing it, you have to choose your material in the box above the OB button in the same way. Actually, I will delete the link to the mesh first by clicking the X button, and then press the OB button and choose a material in the box to link it only to the object.
afecelis wrote:Does this affect when rendering with internal? So I guess your suggestion is only for the blendigo material editor?
You will get the same render with Blender internal when using the ME option and when using the OB option. My version will help only those who use the OB option.
afecelis wrote:but what difference or what advantage does it offer to link materials to objects?
The difference is not so big and it is only the difference of the data structure in Blender. The advantage to link materials to objects is to save the memory for meshes in modelling. When you want to use a lot of objects and the same mesh, you will link them to the mesh by pressing Alt+D key to duplicate the link, and when you want to use different materails for the objects, it would be better to link the material to each object using the OB button.

But it might be a minority opinion. Could I have the possibility to do that in the next version of Blendigo...

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Hans wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks for creating and publishing the great script Blendigo for v1.0, I love it. I'm enjoying using the Indigo renderer with it now and it works well so smoothly, what a cool script it is!

I like the way of linking materials to objects rather than meshes in Blender, selecting the button OB as you can see in the image below, and I always do that when modelling.
However, it was found that the script didn't work well for linking materials to objects. I tried rendering with Indigo after doing that and got a render in which the materials were ignored.

I really needed the ability that the script can understand the links of materials to objects, so I have modified the script and here is that.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/00dfa1f0-9552 ... _by_HansPG
All that you have to do to use the modified script is to replace the file blendigo_v104.py to the downloaded one. What do you think of it?

I hope it can be implemented as a formal version in the development.

Thanks.
what should it good for?

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am

The big disadvanatge I found, is that you only can use a single material per object. It surely saves some memory, though, as the material doesn't have additional informations about which part of the mesh has which material...

It's like this:
OB -> "The object with THIS name has the material with THAT name"
ME -> "The face # XYZ on the object with THIS name has the material with THAT name"

;) (Though, I guess, the advantage isn't that big and I always use ME)

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:55 am

Thanks for your reply, SmartDen.

It is a bit hard for me to tell you clearly what it is good for, because it is not a story that can be seen visually in a render, but the major reason why it is needed is that I want to use many objects that have the same mesh but that should have different materials. In such a situation, if you use the OB option, you don't have to duplicate the mesh in order to use the different materials... and that's all.

It may not be a big advantage enough to motivate all of you to take a consideration for the implementation, but it would be happy if I can use the OB option in Blendigo as well as in Blender.

177 posts