Fire?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Vanessa07

Fire?

Post by Vanessa07 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 am

Hi everybody!!

I would like to know if it's possible to make a fire???

thanks

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:55 pm

'Fire' - that's completely vague. There's hundreds (thousands?) of types of fire effects. If you mean fire as in the sense of one of the Blender tutorial animated fires, then no, not very easily.

You'll have to model your flames. You'll have to have a fire texture to UV map to your flames, and make it a transparent emitter and/or another mesh emitter for the fire's lighting. It's going to take a lot of trial and error; a candle flame, not so difficult, but a campfire? an explosion? Eesh! Weeks of work unless you do 3D for a living and are a master.

If you say what you're trying to accomplish, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:27 pm

There is no such thing as transparent emitter. Seriously guys, emitters ARE NOT materials in Indigo :lol:

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Ok, I will do it like "grass", by UV mapping and blended material

Thanks and sorry for this post :oops:

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:14 pm

lol ignore him, he trolls the threads for anything he can find to complain about. translucent emitters work just fine, and besides you'll want to see your fire, what's the point of invisible fire anyway? :)

What kind of fire scene did you have in mind?

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:03 am

I'm sorry if i offended anyone (with my last 100 posts as i've heared).
I'm switching to more silent mode from now on. 8)

Take care!
Suvakas

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:09 am

easy now guys, i think vanessa meant something like chaosgroup's (v-ray developers) aura:

i'm pretty certain indigo can do this given it has full spectral (in particular blackbody spectra) and participating media support.

actually i was pretty surprised nick tackled the spectral skin model instead of fire/smoke first, that seems much more like his kind of fun ;) hugo elias has a great article about doing such a simulation in 2d (which i hope to reproduce with my 2d ray tracer) here: http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/ ... _ffire.htm

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 am

Yeh I would like something like that, I don't understand "blackbody spectra", it's a "specular emitter", translucent can be done with a blended material?

I have my exams on wednesday, I'll do it later

Thanks again

matsta

Post by matsta » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:53 am

wow that looks rocking tom! how far u with your renderer?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi All.
There's no way in Indigo currently to make a really good fire image.

The best way to do it would be to model it realistically, as a varying-density volume emitter. I've messed around with this a little bit, volume emission isn't too hard, there are some issues with importance sampling volume emitters that I haven't worked out yet tho.
One of the big stumbling blocks is how to describe the density. Uniform grid values, perlin noise, fluid simulation are all options.

By the way, I don't think flame emission can be described using a blackbody emitter curve. There are other effects involved. There's also way to much blue light considering the average flame temperature.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Heavily Tessellated wrote:lol ignore him, he trolls the threads for anything he can find to complain about. translucent emitters work just fine, and besides you'll want to see your fire, what's the point of invisible fire anyway? :)

What kind of fire scene did you have in mind?
Please be polite, HT.
As it happens, Suvakas is correct. Emitters in Indigo aren't materials (this is a limitation of Indigo). Hence they cannot be blended with other materials, and they can't be translucent etc..

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:44 pm

you mean particles, right?
YAY :D
I thought, that theme died, as you didn't say anything like that, for quite some time :)

12 posts • Page 1 of 1