Blendigo for v0.9

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
SURFiNG

Post by SURFiNG » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:24 am

why did you removed the link?
I've tried it with my scenes and now i officially use it, even my last scene (i'll post it tonight) was made with your exporter.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:12 am

Well there are several reasons :roll:
1. its a WIP ie things are not finished and some I think are broken.
2.I just put it up temporarily so people could give feedback about the gamma part so I could alter the Blendigo most people use if they wanted it ...which apparently they didnt...
3.I am still hazy about some of ono's documentation and his examples arent up to date to check against so that inhibits development
4.I dont really want people picking up something that probably isnt ready and then wanting things fixed or altered or getting frustrated cos their renders didnt turn out properly
5.It doesnt include some of the things wedge and smartden have incorporated lately in their scripts or has some variations or additions which are not covered by any tutorials so I dont want to confuse people
6.I am not really sure what smartden has done cos he doesnt keep the history up and the code is diverging from mine and wedges approach is different again...I think even another person made another script which is internally different as well as UI being different - there can be too many scripts out there and too few maintainers
7.It really only came into being especially to assist with Solidworks use (although it can be used as per usual) and is part of a studio .blend package I have made - also a WIP :)
8.I am in fact the only user of this script for Soldiworks purposes here and soon it will be made redundant for others coming to Indigo by an exporter that works directly out of SW with the SW API -which should help people who dont warm to Blenders UI or want to learn another program
9. the UI is the old style which people didnt like cos it took up too much space and also they didnt like it listed under 'renderers' lin the scripts -ie it wasnt main stream
10.I can only work on it sporadically and it does take time cos I am not a very good coder - I learn as I go.
11. I recently removed it from availability in the SW thread I made because of all these reasons and I dont intent to put it back here although I will continue to potter with it for my own amusement

so in sumary it is not appropriate for general use :D

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 am

For whatever reason, occasionally Indigo pukes with a pathing error; it seems that it's Blender's fault and not Blendigo, it will change texture paths from full names like /home/heavily/3D/textures/blahblah.png to a relative path, ../../../textures/blahblah.png.

I don't know if you can fix this quirk in Blendigo.

While annoying, the quick solution is to make sure that ./blender and ./indigo.exe reside at the same nesting level (ie /home/heavily/3D/blender/blender-SVN/ & /home/heavily/3D/indigo/indigo_v09_test7/) so that the relative pathing works out the same. Alternatively just cuss and hand-edit the .igs file.

(I assume this is behavior exists in windows too?)

SURFiNG

Post by SURFiNG » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:31 am

could please Smart or BigFan put again that "GAMMA changer value" on blendigo??? Im really starting to be mad with all those math conversions

oogsnoepje

Post by oogsnoepje » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:47 am

Heavily Tessellated wrote:(I assume this is behavior exists in windows too?)
Nope.

But I assume it shouldn't be hard to expand the paths?

delic

Post by delic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 am

I came across an annoying issue in blendigo .

When there is too much materials in the blender scene, as the list of the materials reaches the top and bottom of the screen, it's impossible to select a material that is hidden from the blend material select button!

I had to rename the materials to select them for making a blend mat.

If the list of materials could be scrolled, or continued on a second column, it would be great !

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:14 am

@delic
the menu wraps horizontally at 20 items
I am not sure why it is an issue for you :roll:
I have a blend with 160 or so materials and it functions ok - mind you I have dual monitor width
I guess if you have a single monitor you will see 100 ok
perhaps you could try lifting the bottom of the script window so that the menu cascades down rather than up? or perhaps make shorter names? :wink:

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 pm

BTW I have noticed version 4 contains these errors:

line 1673 re: cache trees - should be %(IndigoBoolean(CacheTree.val))) at the end not %....
line 2334 re: f stop - f32 should be 320 not 92

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 pm

Big Fan wrote:BTW I have noticed version 4 contains these errors:

line 1673 re: cache trees - should be %(IndigoBoolean(CacheTree.val))) at the end not %....
line 2334 re: f stop - f32 should be 320 not 92
Thanks. Corrected. I will upload it soon

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 pm

I have been working on my variant again and added a few things:
ray nudge compensation for worldscale
more accurate aperture formula and a dof estimator
handling of includes
minor changes to UI + autothreads option
alternative absorption and sss data entry as mm or m^-1 with gamma 1
minor changes to conversion
incorporation of most of smartdens latest additions re: console, animations etc and a few bug fixes like the above
changes to preview set and wrapper
removed default.igs button and sky gain

Is there someone who would like to test it for me? :roll:
I guess if the additions work ok and they are wanted by folks smartden could borrow them or do similar stuff for the official blendigo.. 8)

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 pm

delic wrote:When there is too much materials in the blender scene, as the list of the materials reaches the top and bottom of the screen, it's impossible to select a material that is hidden from the blend material select button!
This happens to me with blended material list (normal material list is ok), and I second you, it's quite annoying.
Would be nice if both list worked the same way (horizontal wrap after xx items)

SURFiNG

Post by SURFiNG » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm

bigfan can i try it ?

btw, what's ray nudge compensation for worldscale ?

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:49 pm

SmartDen you receive my PM ???
Pinko.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:10 am

@doc
I have been looking for info about wrapping but I cant find any
I would have thought this was an option but it seems to be coded inside blender :?
I dont have an explanation for blended mats not wrapping at 20 though
There is a distinction in that this one is a 'pup menu' as opposed to a 'menu' so I suppose that its different somehow..
I guess that could be changed :roll:
Last edited by Big Fan on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:11 am

@surfing
ok thanks I'll put it up here shortly for a short time :)

ok its here :wink:
please any one else remember this isnt for general use
if you want something from it ask smartden to add it to the official blendigo

BTW the ray nudge is not something to mess with usually (leave it at 0.1mm)
when you use the worldscale on a scene the raynudge needs to scale as well so you dont get odd artifacts in the render - the script will do this for you in the background now

BTW2 to use the depth of field estimator
select your object and use the get focus distance from the 'selected' (or use at 'cursor'...) buttons -then hit the DOF button - the estimate will be shown in the blender console - change your fstop value and hit dof again for another estimate
if you update the worldscale be sure to redo the get focus before you do dof again
there are 2 equations used one for middle range and one for close ups
I got these from wikipedia and they should be 'accurate'
The foreground and background estimates of the mid range are just 1/3 and 2/3 approximations - good enough I think - too complicated otherwise :wink:
I made the transition point between equations at 8 x the focal length - about the min focus for a real lens...
ono's auto focus picks the closest point to the camera in a scene so isnt that useful when you want to be specific - if you use it you are probably best to use a largish fstop for this reason esp for close ups :roll:

BTW3 for abs/sss values you can enter the data ono provides in the manual directly if you select 'use real data' + coef option - if reqd use the 10^3 button
so for milk - 2.875 for R abs and 13.115 +the (x10^3) for R sss....etc (gamma of 1 is used)
conversely (and inversely) you can select 'mm' and enter an actual scattering distance - and make it x10^3 (metres) if you wish
the colour shown is generally what you get

PS the picture is of 4 x 200mm cubes at 1m intervals - using the world scale to reduce them to 2mm the distance becomes 10mm - requiring about f32 to see it clearly. lens is 35mm.
most probably I should have posted a pic of a less reduced world focused on the blue second cube to show that the blur on the red first and yellow 4th cube are about the same (1/3 2/3 rule of thumb)...
the smaller you go the more you need to increase the depth - I believe this is how actual photography works
if you go really small you only get a blur even at max fstop
I wouldnt bother less than 1/100 th :wink:
Anyway please tell me if this set up works satisfactorily 8)

EDIT ok test over thanks for trying..
Last edited by Big Fan on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

297 posts