Blendigo 3.8.25.0

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Blendigo 3.8.25.0

Post by Headroom » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 am

I've set up a proper test scene and, YES, is works IF you definite the emission with Power and Gain.
I an also verify what fused has already stated above. Bendigo does in fact modify the base emission of the material directly.

This does NOT work if you enable Emission scale and define a Value for say Lumen. In that case the emission properties of the material are ignored and the Emission scale parameters take precedence.
As opposed to base emission, which is a material property, Emission scale is an object property.

As such when you change the light layer gain it still gets exported properly but has no effect, because as said before the Emission scale parameters simply take precedence.

This also applies to IES profiles. Those also define Object properties and just as Emission scale get exported to objects.igs

This, again, has to do with the way Blendigo implements light layer gain.
What I really would like know is how this is supposed to work. A simple .igs test file that shows how this should look like when implemented and exported properly would really be helpful.

How does this work in Cindigo, which seems to be the most advanced Indigo exporter ?
Last edited by Headroom on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:57 am

Headroom wrote:I've set up a proper test scene and:

What I really would like know is how this is supposed to work. A simple .igs test file that shows how this should look like when implemented and exported properly would really be helpful.

How does this work in Cindigo, which seems to be the most advanced Indigo exporter ?
Are you also of the opinion that the values from the light layers from Blendigo should simply get assigned to the light layers in Indigo? Just want to make sure we're on the same team here. :)

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:12 am

In general, yes, I but it depends how Indigo itself and other exporters implement this.
As I said above seeing how this would look like correctly in a .igs file would really be helpful.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:34 am

So I thought I am going to be smart and install SkIndigo and see how Light Layer Gain in implemented in SkIndigo just to see it is not implemented.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:38 am

here's how the light layers should look in the xml (if you open any igs and adjust the light layers and then save a copy of the scene out of Indigo, this is how it gets written):

Code: Select all

<layer_setting>
			<name>default</name>
			<enabled>true</enabled>
			<layer_scale>
				<xyz>
					<xyz>1 1 1</xyz>
					<gain>1</gain>
				</xyz>
			</layer_scale>
		</layer_setting>
edit:

then, of course, the materials have to be assigned to the appropriate layers. each material has a <layer> element that refers to the layer index (<layer> 0 </layer>, for the default layer, for example, and then 1, 2, and so on)

not sure if this helps - I have dabbled in the Blendigo code from time to time, but it tends to be a struggle for me.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks for that. Saving a copy of the Scene from Indigo did not occur I got a little impatient this morning waiting for a a reply on this thread so I chatted online with Ono and he conveyed the same info.

Yes, modifying the Python code is a struggle for me as well because I am also new to Python. I can program some intermediate C/C++, more or less C with classes to program embedded micro controllers but that's about it. It seems to me a really beautifully thought out programming language with very readable code.

I've experimented with the code a little over the last week or so and slowly but surely I am gaining better understanding.
Also nice to see that once the .xml file is structured this way the light layer gain value from the .xml also shows up in the Indigo UI.

Now the trick is to get Blendigo to export it this way. I think I'll chew on that for a good while ;-)

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:31 pm

I needed to raise the Large Mutation Probability to possibly clear up the caustics in a test render a little better.
This was not adjustable through the Blendigo interface, so I've added it. As it's a parameter only used for Metropolis Light Transport it only shows up when MLT is activated in Blendigo.
Slowly but surely (but slowly!) I get the hang of the simpler things in Bendigo's Python code.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 10.30.49 PM.png

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Excellent! I'd love to have that as well. Care to share the code?

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 am

Oscar J wrote:Excellent! I'd love to have that as well. Care to share the code?
Sure, however, I'll see how far I get this weekend as I have two more things I want to change before I share it.
Unless, of course you need it right now ;-)
  • 1. I want to add an Emission Scale sub-panel when External is selected in the Materials panel.
    2. I really want to get the light layers fixed.
#1 seems doable this weekend.
#2 can easily be more difficult as I am anticipating.

In general I have to say that what Doug Hammond has created with the extensions_framework is absolutely incredible and makes adding some of the things almost easy. Some documentation on Bitbucket helped me in getting a better understanding:
https://bitbucket.org/doughammond/blend ... Properties

Not sure this has been explained before but some other settings in Blendigo have hard limits and soft limits.
For example Supersamples:
  • The soft limit affect how high/low you can set the value with the slider and arrow through the Blender panel and I've set this to 6.
  • The hard limit is 10. This allows yo to edit the value by entering the desired value with the keyboard between 6 and 10
I've now added a little Advanced Render Settings check box that enables not only the Large Mutation Probability but all of the settings I've been able to find in the Indigo Technical Reference. the two last value are only applicable when the render setting includes MLT. For example if you select Path(CPU) for Rendering Mode these values will not be available for editing.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 9.03.17 AM.png
Last edited by Headroom on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:40 pm

OK. I now have aded an Emission Scale sub-panel to the External Material type.
Naturally that only applies when an external material is actually a light source.

The only drawback I've not been able to get around it that the Material Name must be the same as the File name. Maybe I'll find a way around that but for now I'll leave that alone.

This was definitely more complicated than I had anticipated but a good learning experience nonetheless.
Now I'll try to fix the light layer gain and hopefully don't break anything in the process.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 9.29.26 PM.png

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Awesome work Headroom, kudos!

Since you are on it: The 3 parameters of the Mitchell-Netraveli Filter aren't named all "downsize" but Ring, Blur & Radius...
Maybe you can adjust them quickly while you are browsing the code again ;)

keep it up!
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:47 am

Headroom wrote:The only drawback I've not been able to get around it that the Material Name must be the same as the File name. Maybe I'll find a way around that but for now I'll leave that alone.
It's a bit complex since you need to parse the actual material name from the file for checking and code for responses depending on the findings.
obsolete asset

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:49 am

this is good stuff!
while you're in there with the emission properties, Blendigo also needs a backface-emit check box.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:37 am

It already has a backface-emit checkbox. :)

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:27 am

ha, weird - it was not there before. I just reinstalled Blendigo and it showed up

75 posts