scatman

can't use Indigo Material database materials

Post by scatman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 am

Hello, all.
My setup: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
blender 2.61 64bit
IndigoRenderer x64 3.0.14
blendigo-2.5-3.2.3.1

No mater which I use, (.igm/.pigm/.jpg) I can't get Indigo to render materials from the Indigo Material Database. Indigo either crashes completely (when using .pigm's), or I get cryptic error messages like-->"Error while building scene: Error while loading phong material 'glossy_wood': Failed to load texture 'C:\render\..\blendeRender\materials\Indigo Materials\IGM's\PACKED_0_Dark-walnuteuropean.jpg': Could not find file 'C:\render\..\blendeRender\materials\Indigo Materials\IGM's\PACKED_0_Dark-walnuteuropean.jpg"--(when using .igm's).

Am I the only one experiencing these errors? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
scatman

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: can't use Indigo Material database materials

Post by Headroom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:48 pm

I am not sure this is going to fix the issue but you need to use the latest Indigo build 3.2.5 to work with the Blendigo version you posted. 3.0.14 is quite old.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm

That's right, I believe that the Donwloads page is due an update now that pretty much all exporters require 3.2+.

It is possible that some materials have broken references, insisting would not help in this case.

After a quick check up indeed, it appears that the glossy wood from Pibuz has a broken archive. Pibuz is not in cause but he may update the file on the server.

edit: nevermind the below if you were referring to operations done with blendigo, I did that from Indigo:

I could download and use the Dark Walnut European from within Indigo 3.2.5 with no errors (by using the Online Material Database form of Indigo). No manual operations on the downloaded files were required.

Please try again after updating Indigo to the version recommended for your exporter and eventually describe the method you are using.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 am

CTZn wrote:That's right, I believe that the Donwloads page is due an update now that pretty much all exporters require 3.2+.
done :)

scatman

Re: still no dice...

Post by scatman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 am

my setup now:
blender 2.61 64bit
blendigo-2.5-3.2.3.1
indigo 3.2.5 64bit

Indigo now crashes at startup when using the following .IGM material files:
ElmWood.igm
glossy_wood.igm
parquet.igm

When using the .PIGM files I get the following type of error:
Error: Scene parsing error: Error while binding material 'Material.001' to geometry 'Plane': No such material defined 'Material.001'
--sometimes--
then other times (with Elm_Wood.pigm for example) indigo just crashes at startup.

I'm just trying to get a nice wood grain texture for a floor. I wish Indigo would just use .jpg's for texture maps, but, hey, I don't know everything.

Thanks,
scatman

scatman

Post by scatman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:10 am

No more responses?... :(

I hope this issue gets fixed soon...guess I'll have to learn how to use Cycles in the mean time.

scatman

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:17 am

Hi, I just fixed some materials in the MatDB.
Maybe your problem is fixed now.

Headroom
Indigo 100

can't use Indigo Material database materials

Post by Headroom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:06 am

You could also learn how to set up a material in Blender yourself so you don't have to rely on external materials. As long as you can unpack the pigm
File you have all the information you need to create the material. The igm files are in XML format and are fairly easy to read and information in them is clear enough to replicate the setting using the Blender interface. There is nothing wrong with learning Cycles of course ;-)
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

scatman

Post by scatman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks for the reply, Headroom. I might have to try your suggestion using the Cycles renderer for the caustics.
**********************************************************************************************************

OnoSendai, I tried again, but the same results occurred: the error message below with the .IGM's and immediate crashes with the .PIGM's.
A problem occurred with the scene:
Error while building scene: Error while loading phong material 'glossy_wood': Failed to load texture 'C:\render\..\blendeRender\materials\Indigo Materials\IGM's\PACKED_0_Dark-walnuteuropean.jpg': Could not find file 'C:\render\..\blendeRender\materials\Indigo Materials\IGM's\PACKED_0_Dark-walnuteuropean.jpg'.
Indigo version: Indigo Renderer v3.2.3, Windows 64-bit build.
Exporter: Blendigo 3.2.3.1
Platform: 7 6.1.7601 SP1 Multiprocessor Free - Windows scatman-PC 7 6.1.7601 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel - Python 3.2 (r32:88445, Mar 2 2011, 16:59:21) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
Author: scatman
Description:
Date created: 2012-01-29 13:27:48 GMT
Please contact support@indigorenderer.com if you have any questions.

still trying,
scatman

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 am

Hi Scatman,
Are you importing the material into Blendigo?

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:45 am

I had no problem opening the http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/555 directly with Indigo 3.2.5 through the "Online Material Database".

Once downloaded it presents you with 2-3 options. Selecting "Edit in current Indigo" will start rendering that material applied to the material preview scene.

As I may have already mentioned, this will perhaps not solve this particular problem, please use the latest available builds for Indigo 3.2.5 and for Blendigo 3.2.5.0. The error messages you are receiving indicate that you are not using the latest.

I have no problems on my iMac to render external materials directly from the material database through Indigo or Blender/Blendigo. I attempted this with the Dark European Walnut.

What I was referring to with the IGM/PIGM files has noting to do with the Cycles renderer. Sorry for the confusion. As you already know Indigo material files with the .pigm file extension are simple zipped files that contain all the necessary descriptions for a material. In case of the Dark European Walnut from the matdb it's a .jpg with the actual walnut texture and an .igm file. The .igm file contains an Indigo specific description of the material in XML format. You can open it in any text editor. You'll find all parameters necessary to describe the material. You should be able to set up a material in Blender/Blendigo using equivalent settings .
I've done this several times.

scatman

Post by scatman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 pm

I must be doing something very wrong.

When I install blender I put the file named "blender-2.61-release-windows64" in the following location:
C:\blendeRender\Blender Versions\2.57+\blender-2.61-windows64.

I notice that there is another blender folder in a different location that I don't specify:
C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation
In this particular blender folder there are the folders: scripts\addons\indigo

So, stupid question #1: which folder do I extract blendigo into? the scripts\addons\indigo folder that I specified above (at the top of this post)--or--in the scripts\addons\indigo that Windows 7 specifies in the "Users" folder??

confused,
scatman

dag

Post by dag » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Extract blendigo to C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

dag wrote:Extract blendigo to C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons
This. But if you use the "Install Addon" button inside Blender's addon panel, it'll do it for you :)

scatman

Post by scatman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:32 am

Runnin' down a dream...

OK, now I know that I can look in blender's user preferences to tell which version of Blendigo that I'm using.
The setup: Blender 2.61 64bit, Indigo 3.2.5 64bit, and blendigo 3.2.5.0.

First things first: blendigo 3.2.5.0 (according to it's installer) is built for blender 2.62, but blender 2.62 hasn't been released yet. So...when you install blendigo 3.2.5.0, it's placed in in the following location by default:
C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons\2.62\scripts\addons
With blendigo 3.2.5.0 installed here ONLY, you have a "Missing script file" error in the blender user preferences pane and thus Indigo won't open at all. So, I copy the "Indigo" folder from the blendigo 3.2.5.0 installer that presently is in C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons\2.62\scripts\addons--and paste it into C:\blendeRender\Blender VERS\blender2.61 64bit\2.61\scripts\addons.
-Next I restart blender and check the user preferences. Now there's no "Missing script file" errors and I verify that blendigo 3.2.5.0 is checked.
-Next I set Indigo as the renderer, and try using several different .IGM files (including ElmWood.igm, glossy_wood.igm, and Dark-walnuteuropean.igm) as the external material. Each time Indigo crashes at startup.

Finally, I tried the following:
-put the "Indigo" folder from the 3.2.5.0 blendigo installer in the following location:
C:\Users\scatman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons
and delete this "Indigo" folder from: C:\blendeRender\Blender VERS\blender2.61 64bit\2.61\scripts\addons
--at this point there are no "Missing script file" messages in blender's user preferences and I verify that blendigo3.2.5.0 is the checked addon--->but again, indigo crashes at startup when the .IGM's are selected as the external material.

flabergasted,
scatman

22 posts