[problem] Blender crashes when I try to install Blendigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
everwind
Indigo 100

[problem] Blender crashes when I try to install Blendigo

Post by everwind » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:33 am

Hi !

I've got a weird problem : with blender 2.60a when I try to install Blendigo (manual installation or with blender), Blender just ... crashes and then refuses to strat again (I need to uninstall and re-install so that it can work again, but of course without Blendigo).

My computer is under windows 7 64 bits and this thing happens with both 32 and 64 bits versions of Blender 2.60a and any version of Blendigo (well ... at least with 3.0 and 3.2).

There is no problem with blender 2.57 + Blendigo 3.0 but well I'd like to use 2.60a :(

ps : 2.60 acts exactly like 2.60a, no difference

Thanks if you have any idea of the reason why such a thing happens :D

everwind
Indigo 100

Re: [problem] Blender crashes when I try to install Blendigo

Post by everwind » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 am

No idea ?

Right now I have to use linux to export scenes and then come back to windows to render them, so of course it's not impossible but not the best ^^. I tried to check if it could be better with python installed but it changes nothing (whatever version of python I try). With 2.59 and 2.58 I get a python error in console when trying to activate blendigo (and blendigo does not activate, but at least it does not crash)

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:30 am

Sorry for not replying sooner;

This is a bit strange to say the least. I really can't say why it would crash blender that badly.

Do you have any versions of python installed? It shouldn't make any difference since Blender uses its own distribution - and I myself have 6 different python versions installed here on my development machine :?

everwind
Indigo 100

Post by everwind » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 am

No problem ;)

I had also about 6-7 versions of python installed (32 and 64 bits ^^) installed and I uninstalled them all and it changes nothing :/.

I can activate and desactivate any addon but when I try with blendigo .... BAM. I have no idea why Blender then refuses to strat again.

One strange point : if I have differents Blender folders (ex : different 2.60 version, one official and others from repository or anything like that), they ALL crash when I try to install Blendigo in ONE. So I suppose there is something wrong in my local files ? but I see nothing related with addons in my AppData folder

everwind
Indigo 100

Post by everwind » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 am

I kept looking for the problem. I think it's related with local data

Let's give an example :

I have C:/blender26 from official .exe file
I have C/blenderdev from svn or official .zip file

If I try to install or activate blendigo with ANY of these, BOTH version crash and refuse to start. If I use "uninstall" of the official .exe version (and I choose to delete all data including addons), the other version accepts to launch without modification (but well I still can't activate blendigo).

As it does not depend of any file of these folders (there is no connection between the 2 folders but problem happens in BOTH or NONE), it can depend only of local file that blender would use, or problem with windows register. In local file I find nothing related with blender except a file named "bookmark" which content is "[Bookmarks]
[Recent]
C:\
"

What could me cause of problem : maybe the user ? My name is mikaël and so my localApp folder uses special character 'ë' so maybe there's something wrong with that ? Or in Windows register ?

There is no other user in my windows so I can't check if it works with a usual name, but anyway I won't change my name just for blendigo hahahaha

Hope it will help you !

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:43 am

Blender does store data in your user account in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation

As you say, the non-latin character in your name might be the culprit; it might be worth a quick chat with the blender devs on irc://irc.freenode.net/#blendercoders

everwind
Indigo 100

Post by everwind » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 am

In this folder I have only C:\Users\mikaël\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.57\config
with one file : bookmarks.txt which content is "
[Bookmarks]
[Recent]
C:\
"

Am I supposed to have anything else around ?

I'm gonna ask blender developers ok ^^

7 posts • Page 1 of 1