Blendigo (for Blender 2.58) 3.0.10.1

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
Jambert
Indigo 100

Re: Blendigo (for Blender 2.58) 3.0.10.1

Post by Jambert » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Doug,
Using another scene as Background doesn't work. I use a second scene with light/studio/camera but get an error:
Scene must contain at least one light source.
thx

ROUBAL
Indigo 100

Post by ROUBAL » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

I think that a scene must contain either a sun lamp or emitting meshes. If you have point lamps or spot lamps in your setup, these lamps are probably not seen by indigo...

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

ROUBAL wrote:I think that a scene must contain either a sun lamp or emitting meshes. If you have point lamps or spot lamps in your setup, these lamps are probably not seen by indigo...
I use mesh light and background none

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 am

1- It is a bug, when added new scene, the new one has background settings panel. But if I add a new scene again, tis one doesn't have background panel. It is possible to use first or second scene as background and it works... yes, but not realy a solution.

2- I havea problem with some mesh export. This mesh comes from 2.49 scene and has no smooth. It looks like normal orientation but no, I check all normals and recalculate. I try edge split too and doesn't work. I think it's it come from exporter.

thx
Attachments
test.Scene.jpg
test.blend.zip
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 177 times

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 am

Nah. Edgesplit won't naturally help you as your edges are all rounded with nice fillets. However, the Mesh is triangulated which will give you nasty artifacts if smoothing is enabled.

Just mark all ("A" in edit moide) and then convert tris to quads (ALT-J in edit mode). Then, if you smooth it not only does it look smooth in Blender's view port but also in Indigo.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 am

Hey Jambert,

I had similar problems with imported meshes from Solid Works. As Headroom pointed out, triangles are the problems here. Most triangles are displayed correctly in Indigo, but there are problems especially with very long and "sharp" triangles like in your scene. If not all triangles are convertable to quads, just knifecut them: Select the relevant edges (just select everything in your case), hold down "K" and drag the knife with left mouse button, so you cut your tris in half.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

It's a solidworks export, I work for long time now from solidworks to blender but. It's the first time I can't solve it. It works perfecty with blendigo1.18 and indigo 1.18 ;). I can't try blendigo 3.0 to indigo 1.18 and now I feel it isn't an exporter problem, looks like autosmooth applied by indigo 3.0 or something like that. Convert tri to quad can generate little change on model, I don't think it's the good way to solve it.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Would you mind sharing the model?
I'm at work right now, but I could take a look at it tonight. As I said, I'm having the same issues with solidworks imports but most of the time they are solvable.

solarray
1st Place Winner

Post by solarray » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey doug,

I know you don't have so much time at the moment, but it would be nice if you could fix the external material issue first. I think this feature is very important because it is a way to go if other material exporter things aren't working!

Best regards

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 pm

The Solidworks STL exporter makes quite a mess out of a model. I use SolidWorks at work and have contemplated about a Modo license and have looked at its ability to import SolidWorks models.
It appears to me that is also uses the STL export function as the imported mesh in Modo looks exactly the same as if you'd export/import an STL into Blender.

What they recommend in Tutorials is to set the triangulation in Solidworks as high as you can (into the red area!) in order to avoid these artifacts. While it makes a very dense high poly mesh this works fairly well. However, in Blender don't ever use "remove doubles" on such a dense mesh before carefully checking the threshold for it and perhaps reducing it to a tiny amount. Otherwise you'll end up with just another messy mesh.

Edit:

I would be tempted to use SW a lot less if Blender had even a hint of a decent method for beveling/chamfering or even filleting. Looking a Modo's abilities in that department are simply stunning!!!

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 am

Polinalkrimizei wrote:Would you mind sharing the model?
I'm at work right now, but I could take a look at it tonight. As I said, I'm having the same issues with solidworks imports but most of the time they are solvable.
I share a .zip on a previous post ;)
solarray wrote: What they recommend in Tutorials is to set the triangulation in Solidworks as high as you can (into the red area!) in order to avoid these artifacts. While it makes a very dense high poly mesh this works fairly well. However, in Blender don't ever use "remove doubles" on such a dense mesh before carefully checking the threshold for it and perhaps reducing it to a tiny amount. Otherwise you'll end up with just another messy mesh.
I work with .wrl not stl but I think it's the same.
- It can be a solution for now but as it work on indigo 1.1.18, it-s an indigo issue. It is quite strange to find a solution in solidworks for an indigo's bug, no?
- Set the triangulation in solidworks as high as you can will highly increase exporting time
Polinalkrimizei wrote:Would you mind sharing the model?
I ask to indigo team directly because I have no answer on forum and they are working on it, it isn't an blendigo issue.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 am

Hi Jambert, sorry, I didn't have my glasses on when reading your first post about the attachment :oops:

Really seems to be an indigo-thing, I tried some older models (from solidworks) and some of them suddenly do show artifacts. I am not sure I a much higher triangulation in solidworks will solve the problem, as the triangles will get much thinner, but not necessarily shorter - but I don't have a copy at home to try this out.

But smoothing and edge-split are always a good idea! Edge Split is essential for all solidworks imports that are even slightly beveled.

I had to do three knife cuts to make it look okay, not very pleasant but it works!
Attachments
test smooth.jpg

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:23 am

...had to make one cut in the back. Not the most logic/useful workflow...
Attachments
test smooth b ack.jpg

Alain

Post by Alain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 am

Blendigo seems not to work for me as well.
Bildschirminhalt erfassen-1.jpg
Blender 2.58.1
Indigo RT 3.0.14 64 Bit
Win 7 64 Bit

What do I do wrong ?

Kind regards
Alain
Last edited by Alain on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alain

Re: Blendigo (for Blender 2.5x) 3.0.10.1

Post by Alain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 am

StompinTom wrote: Particles work fine with Blendigo! This quick example has 2-3 particle systems that distribute 8-10 different foliage models using DupliGroups.
Can you explain me that methode in detail ?

Kind regards
Alain

99 posts