Indigo 0.7F exporter here! Features added/Comments welcome!

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Sorry, i changed how the burn parameter works :)
see the new docs.
Basically, burn value should be > 1 now.
Default is 3.

zuegs

Post by zuegs » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:55 pm

Wedge wrote:I'd prefer to be in a team.
Hi Wedge,
It's quiet difficult to work in a team if you code your own version :wink:
u3dreal worked on last version of the exporter so if you like to work in a team you should pm u3dreal and ask him that you like to help him in his code :roll: :wink:
But I think/hope we will get his and yours verison together soon and so have a bit less chaos here :D

qinjuehang

Post by qinjuehang » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm sorry, but I've always used linear tone mapping to preserve the actual lighting in the scene, can you please add the feature back?

cooler_inc
2nd Place Winner

Post by cooler_inc » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi, Wedge!

Thnx for the script it works fine. I had an error because I ran your script thru File->Export->Indigo***
But the right method is: Text Editor->Open File->Alt-P
:D

soxofaan

version control

Post by soxofaan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi all,

Wouldn't it be better to use some sort of version control for the development instead of copy-pasting each ones code in these forum threads? I am also considering working on the blender2indigo exporter, but I am afraid that it would clutter/divide the current blender2indigo community more. Currently it is unclear for most users where the latest/best version of the blender2indigo script is. You have scripts scattered around in these forumthreads and at http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... o_exporter. I wouldn't know which one to use.

If we would use a distributed version control system like for example bazaar (see http://bazaar-vcs.org/Bzr , python based, for win, linux and mac), each volonteer can work on its own version but features/changes can more easily be shared and merged in one "official version".
Another possibility is subversion ( http://subversion.tigris.org/ ), but that would need a central server and more management I think.

I understand working with version control needs some learning, but I think you can't be a good programmer without knowing it. Working in a team is even impossible without it.

just my 2c

regards

zuegs

Post by zuegs » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:03 pm

hi soxofaan, i agree with you !!! A VCS would be great becaues currently there's a big chaos here... we can already put latest v0.62 and v0.63 exporter to "BlenderDev/Indigo_exporter"... then hope we can get a common v0.7 exporter at least when v0.7 will be released official.
Does this Bazaar need a web-server?

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Greetings!

Zuegs = I want teamwork more than anything. I have mentioned it in about every post I have made so far.

Qinjuehang = Linear is back in, enjoy.

CoolerInc = glad to hear it all went well

Soxofaan = I thought copy/paste might be easier since I can toss it in any second and post an edit. It is easier to update the code, since I write something new very often.

I want to say again, I am not looking to divide us in any way shape or form. I am deeply sorry if it looks that way. I am merely wanting to explore 07 and explore it now. Not tomorrow not next week or next month but right now. So I wrote this, and since I am glad and thankful indigo is freely available as well as blender and the scripts that have been written in the past I felt good to 'give something back.' I am doing this as a hobby, a way to spend my time when I have it. Some day, no doubt I'll get tired of creating computer graphics and move on. But no matter what happens at least I will feel good knowing I gave back a little to the community. That makes my day better.

At any rate I uploaded a new version with linear tonemapping back in, the burn default was updated thanks to Nick posting information, blackbody equation was added again from zuegs (hopefully I did it right), I tried to reset the other options back to usual, gave burn value some more headroom, cleaned up my code mess....etc.

Also thanks Nick for the news on burn and I am looking at that documentation. Thanks too for indigo and giving me the opportunity to use it.

Sorry again with the exporter confusion, but it has been inactive for quite awhile. I guess we just aren't used to it going from inactive to major-active. I don't think any harm has been done and I just didn't feel like waiting to post my code. I am ready anytime to merge this together. I will continue to code but don't take it the wrong way, it does not mean I'm going solo.

EDIT: relevant info moved to front to avoid confusion
Last edited by Wedge on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

Jananton

Re: version control

Post by Jananton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:08 am

soxofaan wrote:I am also considering working on the blender2indigo exporter, but I am afraid that it would clutter/divide the current blender2indigo community more. Currently it is unclear for most users where the latest/best version of the blender2indigo script is. You have scripts scattered around in these forumthreads and at http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... o_exporter. I wouldn't know which one to use.
Hmm, wouldn't the latest stable one with the highest number be the one to choose... :wink:

Ok just kidding, you're right of course. I visited the link to BlenderDev/Indigo_exporter and guess what, it's empty...

In respect of copying and pasting code, it seems that's something of this thread mainly. The other two, about exporters for version 0.6, have links to downloadable zip or rar archives in their first post.

In fact, u3dreal asked me to see if I could get his launcher (62beta1) from within blender to work for every location a user would have had blender and indigo installed and also do some maintenance and cleaning up, so he could give his complete attention to the devellopment for version 07. And that's what I did... 8)

So, without beiing presumptious, I would say version 63beta3 is the only current exporter for indigo 6.0, at least on this board...

Since there isn't a dedicated server available at the moment afaik for CVS or whatever, making sure the link in the first post of a thread about an exporter is always directed to the latest version is our best bet ihmo. It's quite allright to post a message later in such a thread that there is an update available, as long as one makes sure that the link in the first post points to that latest version. This mainly as a service to firsttime visitors who download it, and then, after reading on, notice there's a newer one, and a newer one, and, oh well you probably get the picture... :D

I know, the suggestions you make are of course a much better way to channel the creative streams of many in this respect, but for the moment, we have an expression in dutch that says, you've got to row your boat with the oars you've got, and that's what we're doing... 8)

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

zuegs

Post by zuegs » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 am

Wedge wrote:Zuegs = I want teamwork more than anything. I have mentioned it in about every post I have made so far.
... I am merely wanting to explore 07 and explore it now. Not tomorrow not next week or next month but right now.
That's just the team problem... working in a team is sometimes a bit slower :wink: but is richer in ideas 8)
Wedge wrote:I don't think any harm has been done and I just didn't feel like waiting to post my code. I am ready anytime to merge this together. I will continue to code but don't take it the wrong way, it does not mean I'm going solo.
No, no harm, there's no problem and it is most wanted that peoples push this development forward... it's just a bit confusing for "non-coding" peoples to see all this different releases (threads) :lol:

But it's not a problem, at least for me, continue to code and we will fusion as soon u3dreal is ready with his v0.7t1 exporter.

Toms

Post by Toms » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:51 am

Hi ppl, does the indigo07 allow to use/export particles? or it will be in further future? :o

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:11 am

@Toms: don't think so. Blender particles are another story from geometry.

@Wedge: Thanks for setting default burn value to 3, I kept forgettiing to change it.
White balance is set to D75; Wasn't "E" a better option? Or because of the burn changes D75 is better?

And...bidir is still not working.

Thanks for all your great work.
regards,
Alvaro
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:29 am

Hi wedge,

I just begin to render my first scene with your exporter.
It is not perfect, but it is a really good help! :wink:
Personnaly I like competition, but I also think it will be be better to work together in the future.
It seems we have a lot of python freeks here (he he) :lol:
I also suggest that you continue coding now, because this will help the future version!
For now I propose that you comment your developpment and your choices about the exporter.
In my opinion this will help to merge the projects in the future.

@all:
I have no idea what subversion or cvs is, can someone post a good link.
When I start playing with the exporter, I had a look on the wikipedia, but I did not understand anything (sorry) :oops:

Again, thanks a lot for this job!

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:57 am

CVS=concurrent version systems.
SVN=subversion

both are version control systems. In other words, a way to upload/download patches and corrections to a central server that contains the source of a program :wink: (of course excuse my lack of technical terms, but it is how I understand it). This way the community can participate both uploading corrections and downloading the program to compile and beta-test it.

CVS is older. Seems like SVN has taken over but I don't know the tech advantages of one over the other :wink: For instance; blender; you can download the CVS source and compile it yourself with corrections done on a daily (even hourly) basis.

Or check out Yafray's instructioons on how to get the latest CVS source here:(check the "anonymous cvs access part):
http://www.yafray.org/index.php?s=2
It's done in a terminal or shell window with those commands and options.

CVS:
http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/
Subversion:
http://subversion.tigris.org/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

soxofaan

Re: version control

Post by soxofaan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 am

some reactions
Jananton wrote:Hmm, wouldn't the latest stable one with the highest number be the one to choose... :wink:
How do you know which version are stable? Who declares them stable? How do you manage version numbers if there are different "forks"?
Jananton wrote:Ok just kidding, you're right of course. I visited the link to BlenderDev/Indigo_exporter and guess what, it's empty...
Indeed, the parser of this forum appended the end-of-line-point to the url, it's http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... o_exporter full stop
Jananton wrote:Since there isn't a dedicated server available at the moment afaik for CVS or whatever...
I would opt for a distributed version control system, so you don't need a central server, every one can host its own version in its own way. For bazaar ( http://bazaar-vcs.org/ ) for example you only need some webspace (e.g. http, ftp) to post a directory tree with your code, without the need of running some serverside stuff (beside a web- or ftpserver of course)
zuegs wrote:
Wedge wrote:Zuegs = I want teamwork more than anything. I have mentioned it in about every post I have made so far.
... I am merely wanting to explore 07 and explore it now. Not tomorrow not next week or next month but right now.
That's just the team problem... working in a team is sometimes a bit slower :wink: but is richer in ideas 8)
That's were version control is for: facilitate cooperation an merging different versions. So you don't lose time by working on the same thing.
zuegs wrote:No, no harm, there's no problem and it is most wanted that peoples push this development forward... it's just a bit confusing for "non-coding" peoples to see all this different releases (threads) :lol:
But it's not a problem, at least for me, continue to code and we will fusion as soon u3dreal is ready with his v0.7t1 exporter.
Maybe I should clear some things up: the version control is for developers of code. For the users you should offer some simple "click here to download" webpage like the blender wiki ( http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... o_exporter )
Jananton wrote:Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,
Greetings from nightly Gent (that's in Belgium)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:22 pm

Greetings!

Believe it or not I'm actually really picky when it comes to computer software and stuff. I don't have access to webspace to post my stuff, and I'm too lazy to participate in the blender wiki. To give you an example, I haven't even participated in any other forums over the last year or so I am too lazy to create a name and have to log in...Because each forum requires a new registration. Yes, I am silly like this...

I'm not familiar with the workings of a CVS system. I know somewhat its purpose, but not much else.

I'm open for options. Maybe if it is too complicated (for me, since I'm lazy) I can still communicate my changes/opinions/fixes/whatever through this forum by sending my fixes to the devs running a CVS system if it goes in that direction.

I also don't know a thing about 90% of linux since I currently don't have any interest in setting aside the time it would take to learn the linux operating system. So if something needs to be added to the exporter for linux, while I could maybe understand the code enough to place it into the exporter, I can't test it. This is also blindly thinking, since so far it seems only one global OS exporter seems to have been posted so far on the wiki. Although now that I think of it, doesn't U3dreal have a linux version?

Afecelis = I remember there was a post here somewhere where someone (sorry forgot who) did some tests and posted the results of the white balance values and how they changed the color. It is really a personal taste setting and likely to change on a per-scene basis but I have no problem putting it at E again.

Update: Thanks a ton Zuegs! I read about your findings with instancing, about dupliating with ALT D or duplicate linked feature of blender. I have seen this feature before but I have yet to use it. I will admit that even while I can work with blender quite easily now it has so many features I feel that I'll never have time to understand/use them all! Thanks again for the findings, I just tested it with about 15 uvspheres at 100x100rows and it worked perfect. The data neatly lined up in the xml file. Just awesome! I will cut my losses right now as far as researching instancing.

In fact, it's about time I try to convert my beach house scene to work with the 07 features. This scene almost ate up all 2gb of my ram since I had tried to get a smooth beach/ocean to render but had subsurr'd it too many times, now I'll try normal smoothing, and as far as instancing will work great I have reused tons of stuff in this scene.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

223 posts