Indigo 0.7F exporter here! Features added/Comments welcome!

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
223 posts
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 am

jurasek wrote:How to control bump value in texture if there is no <gain></gain> tag anymore?

greetz,
jur
Check the updated Indigo manual: http://www.indigorenderer.com/montecarl ... Manual.pdf

It tells to use Bump this way:

Code: Select all

<bump_map>
   <uv_set>bump</uv_set>
   <path>bump_map.jpg</path>
   <b>0.0001</b>
   <exponent>1.0</exponent>
</bump_map>
But for me uv_set => bump doesn't work... try albedo instead...
polygonmanufaktur.de

jurasek

Post by jurasek » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:37 am

ZomB wrote: Check the updated Indigo manual: http://www.indigorenderer.com/montecarl ... Manual.pdf
:oops:
I'm so lazy...tnx ZomB for reply.

greetz,
jur

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Refreshed the gui and added new buttons to help keep you out of the xml files a little bit more.

Still looking for a better way to write the materials...I am making some progress.

Code is at front like always. :)

DaveC: Sorry I missed your question about some absorbtion. I am very confused about the exact workings, it is best to let the exporter send out the code and then compare it with Nick's examples. Then change to the different tags if you need to. Right now, until the materials are reworked again, things are messy.
Last edited by Wedge on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:55 pm

whoa Wedge! This one for T2 is looking spiffy! Good job. Even if I'm still not able to tweak the materials as in 0.6 you can tell it's going in the right direction.
The only thing I've felt a bit weird (not from your exporter but from t2 itself) is that it takes too long Computing bloom, but I guess it's while it creates the tree_cache or something.

nice job! Let's see what happens with materials! :)
Regards,
Alvaro
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm

I noticed that also. It appears to be caused by the new super_sample_factor setting in the inifile. If you disable it by setting it to "1" the bloom should work faster.

Nick has said this value renders the image interally as a bigger size then scales it down to the original size to reduce jagged edges.

It makes sense that when this feature is used that everything is computed a bit slower. I suppose you could always disable bloom instead.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

If I remember correctly a page I read few time ago, radius has an important impact on bloom calculation. Blooming causes some recursives calculations, so the bigger the radius the more data to compare, modify, compare again and so on... if the implementation is the same here... something like blooming
can be computationally very heavy - every pixel has the potential to influence every other pixel,
i.e. on a PAL picture there is the potential for 171,992,678,400 (172 billions) calls to determine the relevant [blooming] effect

DaveC

sss tests

Post by DaveC » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:55 am

I finally got it right. Exports with SSS working. The first one is normal glass, the third one is SSS exported with no editing. The second and fourth ones, I edited the amount of scattering inside the XML to one and ten respectively.

It WORKS :D
The hardest part of BEING yourself is FINDING yourself in the first place...
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:39 pm

Glad to see you have it working DaveC! :)

Well, the new update has been posted. For all the features, news, directions you know where to get it! :) (first page)

Here's the quickie info:

*fixed tonemapping scale, pre post and linear for 6 decimal place accuracy and 9 chars max
*Henyey Greenstein support
*blend material support
*removed some render settings following Nick's sticky guideline post

Update: directions moved to front to avoid confusion
Last edited by Wedge on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tungee

Post by tungee » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:51 am

Big thanx Wedge!
Nice to see you have also fun with this! :wink:
Music has the right to children!

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 am

From page 1 of this thread:
From Zuegs: @Mute:
ensure every objects scale is equal for all 3 directions X,Y,Z - all uneqal scaling should be applied to the mesh (not the object) - use Ctrl-A to apply objects asymmetric transformations to the underlying mesh in your case
hope it help, regards, zuegs
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:55 am

Hi wedge,
first thanks for posting so fast your exporter.
But I can't get blend material to work, I tried to follow your instructions but everything's not clear.
I want to get a nice grass material as seen on radiance's render here.

So here is my setup in blender :

.a uv-mapped grass, named a.
.a uv-mapped alpha-map for the grass, named b
.and the blend material, named herbe.blend.a.b
And translucency=1 ,ambient=1 on that last material.

Then I get this error message when I launch indigo : "could not find element 'path' in element 'blend_map'"

What do I make wrong ?
I tried to put translucency=1 on the "b" material, but I get the same error.
I had a look at the xml file, and both "a" and "b" materials are defined twice, once as a <phong_material>, and once as a <null_material>. As far as I understood, only the "b" material should be a <null_material> ?
And moreover, the <blend_path> is empty in the blend material (herbe.blend.a.b).

So I don't know if it is a bug or if I make something wrong.
I wanted to point this because I REALLY need to be able to use blend materials directly from blender.

Thanks very much for any help !

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:55 am

Code: Select all

<material>
  <name>a</name> 
 <specular>
  <transparent>true</transparent> 
  <internal_medium_name>medium1</internal_medium_name> 
  </specular>
  </material>

<material>
  <name>b</name> 
 <glossy_transparent>
  <exponent>2320.000</exponent> 
  <internal_medium_name>med</internal_medium_name> 
  </glossy_transparent>
  </material>

<material>
  <name>TestMaterial.med</name> 
  <blend>
  <a_name>a</a_name> 
  <b_name>b</b_name> 
  <blend_factor>0.5</blend_factor> 
  <blend_map>
  <uv_set>uv</uv_set> 
---> <path>marble.jpg</path> <----
  <exponent>2.3</exponent> 
  </blend_map>
  </blend>
  </material>
drBouvierLeduc: Your alpha-map name (and path, if its not in the indigo folder) belongs in the pointed to tag, above.

Note that your A material and B material will look different than mine. B material will simply have <nullmaterial> defined, A should be diffuse (or phong), rgb of 1 1 1, and uv-mapped texture of the grass picture.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:16 am

thanks zsouthboy,
After hand-editing the xml, I finally got it to work.
Now I have to figure out how to make it work directly from within blender.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:09 am

hmmm, having to apply unequal scaling to the mesh seems like trouble.
I totally agree with this, all the scenes I builded before v0.7 don't work anymore, and it's a real pain to look for wich objects aren't equally scaled.
I don't know if this problem is hard to fix, but from a user point of view, this is a real limitation.

Anyway, I'm going to repeat myself : but thanks again for posting that exporter so fast !

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:25 am

I completely agree about the unequal scaling.. I tried my snowman scene in 7t2, and spent forever trying to find every single mesh that I had duplicated and applying the scale (blender complained when i simply selected all, then CTRL A)

I even looked around the net for scripts that might find meshes like that, to no avail.

Now when building scenes, I only duplicate meshes, rather than duplicate linked (CTRL D vs. ALT D).

Ugh.

223 posts