Indigo vs. Maxwell

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
PowStudios

Indigo vs. Maxwell

Post by PowStudios » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 am

Hello,

how does Indigo compare to Maxwell? Anyone has experiences with that?

Pow
MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB + i7-920, 6 GB
My MacBook 'whines': http://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+whine
If anyone has a solution that works pls message!

benn

Re: Indigo vs. Maxwell

Post by benn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:24 am

I don't do much 3d rendering so take my opinion with a grain of salt - but imho Indigo is more consistent that Maxwell, we have better support for motion blur (moving emitters), similar or better firefly reduction and the speed of Indigo is equal to or better than Maxwell. Also with Indigo you get two node licences included with the renderer, which is very useful if you want to build a cheap render farm (a basic quad core AMD cpu with 4gb of ram is a fantastic render slave).

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:33 am

benn wrote: similar or better firefly reduction and the speed of Indigo is equal to or better than Maxwell.
Don't think this is true, but all your other points seem valid. Though Indigo's results are slightly more realistic in appearance (In my opinion). So, Slightly longer render times = slightly more realistic renders.
samlavoie.xyz

dcm

Post by dcm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 am

@godz +1

Indigo have better tonemaping imo. Maxwell renders are kinda "dull".
Both renderers are powerful and depends on artist, which prefer what he can do with engine. Every renderer have some + and - and depends on artist how this could be spreaded.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

dcm wrote:Both renderers are powerful and depends on artist, which prefer what he can do with engine.
Thats true for every render engine. Artists produce nice renderings, not engines (also with povray).

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

I can't see any difference in quality between maxwell renders and Indigo renders. Indigo however is simpler and it's free. I would also say that Maxwell has a more artist friendly UI.

dcm

Post by dcm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Better GUI design, better website and that "shiny" things about maxwell makes luxury feeling but its only visual side. Its like photography. You can buy camera for 12 000$ but depends, who is behind lens.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 am

neo0. wrote:I would also say that Maxwell has a more neo0. friendly UI.
Stop talking about "artist friendliness" please; thank you.
dcm wrote:Its like photography. You can buy camera for 12 000$ but depends, who is behind lens.
Word!

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 am

Stop talking about "artist friendliness" please; thank you.
People are best stopped by argumenting...

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:24 am

I'm not talking about agriculture (for example) neither, thats why I asked him to stop...

PowStudios

Post by PowStudios » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 am

Hi,

thanks a lot for your comments. I did ask because there is no easy way to try Maxwell. From LuxRender to Indigo is just a small step (*). I like Indigo very much. I might do some work on my models and setup. My goal is to render pictures that are indistinguishable from photographs.

The material library at maxwell is impressive. Some more picturesque examples, how the different Indigo parameter influence each other would be gracht. Like, how is a supersample==3 picture compared to a ss==2 and under which circumstances. Some additional information on light setup and performance would be cool, too.

Vray I don't like, because it's too 'CG' looking.

CU,
Pow

(*) for man, but a giant ..
MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB + i7-920, 6 GB
My MacBook 'whines': http://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+whine
If anyone has a solution that works pls message!

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 am

PowStudios wrote:Vray I don't like, because it's too 'CG' looking.
This is not true. As i said, its like photography and feeling. Look here http://www.thirdseventh.com/
Do you think, vray looks cgish? And take while and look on his cgish movies :wink:

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:44 am

dcm wrote:better website

One of the most important things for an upcoming software product to have :)

Maxwell's website is pretty horrible, it has massive amounts of information on it and is very informative, but the way it is presented is just... ugly.. in my opinion.

Fryrender, on the other hand, has a beautiful, well designed, and uncluttered website. To be honest I think you guys at Glare should follow their example and invest in a professional website design service to redesign Indigo's website. It looks alright now (certainly better than Maxwell's, in my opinion), but doesn't really hold a candle to (Indigo's competitor) Fryrender. Remember: The look of a corporate website usually makes the first (and most important) impression on a customer. Better looking site = more confidence & trust instilled in the potential customer = the higher the chance is that they are going to try/use/buy Indigo.

Just my two cents. :)
samlavoie.xyz

dcm

Post by dcm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 am

Godzilla wrote:
dcm wrote:better website

One of the most important things for an upcoming software product to have :)

Maxwell's website is pretty horrible, it has massive amounts of information on it and is very informative, but the way it is presented is just... ugly.. in my opinion.

Fryrender, on the other hand, has a beautiful, well designed, and uncluttered website. To be honest I think you guys at Glare should follow their example and invest in a professional website design service to redesign Indigo's website. It looks alright now (certainly better than Maxwell's, in my opinion), but doesn't really hold a candle to (Indigo's competitor) Fryrender. Remember: The look of a corporate website usually makes the first (and most important) impression on a customer. Better looking site = more confidence & trust instilled in the potential customer = the higher the chance is that they are going to try/use/buy Indigo.

Just my two cents. :)

+5

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

Godzilla wrote:To be honest I think you guys at Glare should follow their example and invest in a professional website design service to redesign Indigo's website. It looks alright now (certainly better than Maxwell's, in my opinion), but doesn't really hold a candle to (Indigo's competitor) Fryrender. Remember: The look of a corporate website usually makes the first (and most important) impression on a customer. Better looking site = more confidence & trust instilled in the potential customer = the higher the chance is that they are going to try/use/buy Indigo.
:)

33 posts