Motiva SOAP First Public Release (Ono please read this too)

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
psor
1st Place Winner

Motiva SOAP First Public Release (Ono please read this too)

Post by psor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:26 am

I found this a few days ago on the Maxwell Render forum and found it to be very interesting.

Since fryrender has SWAP and till today no other unbiased renderer I know of has this kinda feature
I thought you guys would be interested too. And now a direct question to you, Ono.

Is a feature like SWAP on your todo list? :mrgreen:
Jan wrote: Image

Motiva SOAP is a free realtime postproduction tool witch allows not only change colours of the entities but their influence in the whole scene.

Probably the best way to understand what's Motiva SOAP is look at this video.

Vimeo video (features): http://www.vimeo.com/5613002
Mirror in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLg3D_bi ... annel_page

Why free?
Motiva SOAP is free and ever will be, Motiva SOAP was designed with educationalpurposes, our intention is sell a full tutorial of how it’s made this app step by step, line byline. Covering topics as ‘why is so important the linear conversions?’, ‘the maths behindthe colors’, ‘what’s the way you must focus a realtime app’ , basic shader development...
Until we have a publisher for it we can’t guarantee if it will be released as open source for every one or only for the people that purchase the tutorial.

Requirements
- DirectX 9.0.C June '08 or newer
- Microsoft Framework 3.5 (handled by the installer)
- C++ Runtime Libraries (handled by the installer)
- Pixel Shader 3.0 capable card

You can freely test it from our downloads page: http://www.motivacg.com/descargas_en.php

Tutorial for creating scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqo4xjqbOQ

Regards

The problem with SOAP right now is, it's Windows only. :roll:

Thanks for reading. ;o))

edit: I know it's close to off topic, but I wasn't to sure where to put it, sorry about that. :P ;)

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

Stromberg

Re: Motiva SOAP First Public Release (Ono please read this too)

Post by Stromberg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

I have already mentioned this ;)
But it's hiden away in a fryrender swap related topic, cool program... but for me i didnt always work right, and you will have too render you scenes one more time for each object you want to change and the renders need to be realy clean :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't really like the SWAP thing because it's a dirty approximation.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:03 pm

@Stromberg

Yupp I read about this on the Maxwell forum as well. I'm honest I would like to know
if Nik has some ideas about to implement something like this into Indigo. This would
be a killer. And I take an educated guess if I say that more people would consider to
buy Indigo if they are able to swap materials.

For me it's even more impressive then light-layers. 8) :wink:

edit: Aaaahhh, Ono beat me to it. Ok, so no swap for us then. :evil: :P :D ;)

take care
psor

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08 pm

OnoSendai wrote:I don't really like the SWAP thing because it's a dirty approximation.
I think it would be utterly cool if on the material editor

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 pm

psor wrote:@Stromberg

Yupp I read about this on the Maxwell forum as well. I'm honest I would like to know
if Nik has some ideas about to implement something like this into Indigo. This would
be a killer. And I take an educated guess if I say that more people would consider to
buy Indigo if they are able to swap materials.

For me it's even more impressive then light-layers. 8) :wink:

edit: Aaaahhh, Ono beat me to it. Ok, so no swap for us then. :evil: :P :D ;)

take care
psor
The difference with light layers is that light layer blending is not an approximation due to the linearity of light (different emitters don't interfere, but merely add).
However, changing a scene material can have a non-linear effect on the final image.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:15 pm

pixie wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:I don't really like the SWAP thing because it's a dirty approximation.
I think it would be utterly cool if on the material editor
Ohhhh noooo! Don't do that! I couldn't take this restriction. On the material editor yes,
but on scenes no ... no, no, no! :( :( :( :twisted: :mrgreen: :wink:
OnoSendai wrote: The difference with light layers is that light layer blending is not an approximation due to the linearity of light (different emitters don't interfere, but merely add).
However, changing a scene material can have a non-linear effect on the final image.
From my uneducated guess, I would say it's possible, but probably to much data would
need to be saved into an .igi. Cause If I know the ball is red, causes red color bleeding on
wall x then you could save that and change that too and also with reflection, no? Probably
I have no clue and so excuse my ignorance. I'm just an artist who likes the idea. ;o)))

edit: As far as I do remember with SWAP you have to render about three times
to be able to change the materials or what not. I'm not sure tho.

edit: And for example they do not support to swap transparent materials.

edit: Ok, I quickly downloaded the manual and took a look. It's for sure not unbiased
as they render out the final picture, a mask for the material that will change and a GI map,
then comp it all together. Non the less, it's a nice feature. ;o)

take care
psor

SaphireS
Indigo 100

Re: Motiva SOAP First Public Release (Ono please read this t

Post by SaphireS » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Seems like Thea Render got their hands on it:
(I'm talking about SOAP's big brother, COLIMO !)

http://www.blendernation.com/2011/09/08 ... r-editing/
Colimo is a tool for making real-time changes to final renders from Thea render, using a Blender-Thea-Colimo pipeline. It sports some really impressive feature, such as the ability to change colours and textures of objects, and have not only the objects themselves update in real time, but any GI reflections, glossy reflections and refractions update too.
Your ad here!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:39 pm

This is REALLy cool indeed!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:07 am

Very cool and certainly helpful in determining design options. Regardles if it is a biased approximation or not. There is really no reason to use this only as the last step in a workflow. It can be an intermediary step in really finetuning a design and then as a last step you decide to make a final, real unbiased render to see how it really works out.

In my last position (as of Monday) I worked in Development an Prototyping and having tools on hand that allow you to quickly generate and evaluate differnt variants of a design really is essential. For the engineering work I do a tool like SolidWorks with the Luxology render engine provides me with that but I totally see how this can be very useful for architecture and consumer product development!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Seconded! Would love to see something like this! Everything that indigo boasts for a free version is already pretty impressive, but imagine having this too!

Regardless of whether it is biased or the results still look very photo realistic. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if the biased result is such a good approximation that that it is impossible to tell at a glance whether it it biased or unbiased. Afterall, tuning your renders in photoshop is hardly unbiased.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:45 am

neo0. wrote:In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if the biased result is such a good approximation that that it is impossible to tell at a glance whether it it biased or unbiased. Afterall, tuning your renders in photoshop is hardly unbiased.
I have to say I am glad that Indigo's philosophy is not based on your opinion.
Indigo is unbiased, wants to be unbiased and always will be unbiased.
If you're not fine with that, switch your renderer and stop demanding biased features.

After all, Photoshop is not Indigo and it doesn't matter for Indigo's unbiasedness what you do with its output.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:14 am

I was talking about what SOAP does. I don't even know if the terms "biased" and "unbiased" apply to what it does, since it's not shooting rays at a scene.. But the fact of the matter is that it doesn't negatively impact the realism. Photoshop is just like SOAP in a way. All it does it takes the unbiased result from indigo and tweaks it. If anything it's a much less accurate, since soap undoubtedly has access to much more of the render date (being part of the renderer) and all and presumably isn't just adjusting the brightness of a jpeg.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

neo0. wrote:I was talking about what SOAP does. I don't even know if the terms "biased" and "unbiased" apply to what it does, since it's not shooting rays at a scene.
This is a good point, I'd say.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm

PureSpider wrote:
neo0. wrote:In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if the biased result is such a good approximation that that it is impossible to tell at a glance whether it it biased or unbiased. Afterall, tuning your renders in photoshop is hardly unbiased.
I have to say I am glad that Indigo's philosophy is not based on your opinion.
Indigo is unbiased, wants to be unbiased and always will be unbiased.
If you're not fine with that, switch your renderer and stop demanding biased features.

After all, Photoshop is not Indigo and it doesn't matter for Indigo's unbiasedness what you do with its output.
Well, perhaps indigo doesn't have to be a Photoshop either, but it should articulate with it nonethelss, Motiva SOAP, now Colimo could be used with indigo renders if a special pass couldbe made, a bit like the "background alpha" despite not being unbiased, just a special pass.

17 posts