Suggestion for indigo free vs indigo commerical

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
neo0.

Suggestion for indigo free vs indigo commerical

Post by neo0. » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Just an idea..

The difference would be that indigo commercial can :
-Render multiple instances (you could do multiple renders on the same system)
-Multi threaded rendering
-Remove Watermark

This would be instead of the resolution restriction..

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: Suggestion for indigo free vs indigo commerical

Post by WytRaven » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:06 pm

So in other words you want full use of the program's primary function (which is to create images) at no cost? But want the rest of us to pay so we can render faster while those testing the demo get one thing planted firmly in their heads; Indigo is to slow for any real use? Wake up ne0... :roll:
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 pm

WytRaven wrote:So in other words you want full use of the program's primary function (which is to create images) at no cost? But want the rest of us to pay so we can render faster while those testing the demo get one thing planted firmly in their heads; Indigo is to slow for any real use? Wake up ne0... :roll:
Hard to say it any better.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:59 pm

WytRaven wrote:So in other words you want full use of the program's primary function (which is to create images) at no cost? But want the rest of us to pay so we can render faster while those testing the demo get one thing planted firmly in their heads; Indigo is to slow for any real use? Wake up ne0... :roll:
You can already create images at no cost, buddy. There is a free version. The only thing is that they are limited to 1000x700 which is less than 50% of an average monitor. What do you mean, too slow for real use? From what I have seen many people's renders already take over a dozen hours. There has to be some difference between the free version and the full version, to give those who can pay some incentive to do so. If you ever tried using the free version of indigo, you would know that it's current limits are much worse than being slow.

Cheesestraws

Post by Cheesestraws » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:18 pm

I have always wondered, if you are not going to be rendering for commercial reasons, why the resolution limit would be a problem. It is still large enough for anything below HDTV resolutions, so that is the majority of broadcasting.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:28 pm

I would say that having either watermark or slowness would make it... in either case having a full indigo would present value, and would keep those who use it as an hobbie and have no income as attractive as the main open source competitor... These user could still learn while have their master pieces done, although not a speed that would allow them to go commercial, but with time and expertize gained they could even start making some money here and then, and buy the complete package to get that extra speed that allows them a comfortable pace to keep costumers happy.

In the end, having two modes demonstrating the full spectrum of indigo capabilities can only IMO be a good thing. If people aren't about to make money from a product and are short in money it's rather hard having them buy it in the first place, but if they can learn more and more and keeping their stuff as intended there will be a time where a major bump on speed can be perceived as real value to those, in the meanwhile they can trough their own posted doubts, works... present value to Indigo. Another plus would be that all could be using the latest and greatest build, without disparities between indigo users.

jim_archviz

Post by jim_archviz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm

There is no "free version" of Indigo. There is an "evaluation version", which let you try out all of Indigo's features but does not really let you produce 'useful' results for obvious reasons.

I think that keeping refering to the evaluation version a the "free version" is what confuses people and creates false expectations.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Stinkie wrote:I cannot believe this issue - "me don't like the limitations of the eval" - keeps popping up.

There is a free version that lets you render at as high a resolution as your computer can handle. In fact, there's more than one. Considering those were good enough only a few months ago, I'd say they're still okay right now.

Any of those 'older' versions will allow you to produce stunning images at no cost at all - what's there to complain about? Let me answer that for ya: b*gger all.
Which IMO brings impedance, it would be a plus to leave past in the dust and care only with present, having all the user base working in the same platform is a big plus.
Now, as for the money issue ... Ain't nothing wrong with saving up. I remember - listen up, kids, grandad's gonna tell you a story - I once ate rice con nada for weeks just so I'd be able to buy a dictionary (yes ... I am a nerd)] that cost half of what I made a month.

Priorities, effort - I'm sure you'll be able to distill the moral from the above.
You were a nerd and then convert your work into money so that you were able to buy a dictionary, let me tell you another story, it's not as if these users don't present anything valuable in exchange for the ability of generating 'free images', they present their time, their experience, their art so that newbies don't feel frightened so they might feel entangled to indigo, in a fresh app like Indigo that can be quite valuable. Indigo needs momentum, and although not every new user will buy a license it will expand it's recognition and user base, yet some of those will, and more easily if presented with more compelling reasons for them to buy.

In the end I think Indigo will be on the edge if it can compete with either Open Source and Commercial solutions out there.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Now, as for the money issue ... Ain't nothing wrong with saving up. I remember - listen up, kids, grandad's gonna tell you a story - I once ate rice con nada for weeks just so I'd be able to buy a dictionary (yes ... I am a nerd)] that cost half of what I made a month.

Priorities, effort - I'm sure you'll be able to distill the moral from the above.
You must engage money to make money. Ono works five years on this project for nothing, time = money, Ono engage time, Ono engage money :roll:

If you can't buy full release I'm sorry for you. But believe that other free renderers aren't as efficient as last free indigo...

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Jambert wrote:But believe that other free renderers aren't as efficient as last free indigo...
Yep! Fry, for example, got watermarks all over the whole friggin image, not just in the bottom right corner.
I don't know if they have any size or speed restrictions in, though.
I personally am fine with the 1.1.18 or even "older" build and if I need some of the 2.0 power I'm just gonna ask Arne till I have my own license :)
And yes, I AM planing on buying a license even though I won't be making any money with it.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:31 am

I did buy a license even though i'm not making any money with it. :lol:
samlavoie.xyz

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:26 am

Godzilla wrote:I did buy a license even though i'm not making any money with it. :lol:
Ditto.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:07 am

Resolution is a huge thing. It really brings out all the details and subtle parts of lighting that make a render look so realistic.

My monitor is 1680x1050. This is 16:10 aspect ration while 1000x700 doesn't really go under any standard aspect ratio. The first problem here is that the difference in aspect ratio will give you a different fov then what you are seeing in your modelling app (In skinidigo, there is a "render what you see" feature.) The second (and probabaly more serious) issue with this is that 1680x1050 gives you 1.7 million pixels. 1000x700 only gives you 700,000. That's just 41% of my screen real estate. Many people have bigger displays. 1600x1200, etc. Think about all the detail you are sacrificing.

Maybe instead of limiting you to one core, the free version can limit you to 2 cores? If you worked in a professional gfx agency, and you wanted your client to get whatever it is as fast as possible, you could get the commercial version to render with as many cores as you wanted :)

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:14 am

Valid points... but all speak in favour of buying the full version.
If you want that many details and whatnot bleh, just buy it.
If you don't... don't cry out in public neither please :roll:
They (Glare) already did us a huge favour by upping the max res to 0.7mpx and only inserting ONE watermark, not ones all over the image.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 am

PureSpider wrote:Valid points... but all speak in favour of buying the full version.
If you want that many details and whatnot bleh, just buy it.
If you don't... don't cry out in public neither please :roll:
They (Glare) already did us a huge favour by upping the max res to 0.7mpx and only inserting ONE watermark, not ones all over the image.
I know what you're talking about. The free version of the Maya renderer (Ugh) spolotches watermakes all over your render. The difference is that, up until a few months ago, Indigo was a free renderer, so it needs a viable free version.

A limitation of 7 megapixels is long ways from the original free version. Limiting the cores would be a good way to give people incentive to buy the full version, but still leave people with a decent free version.

Unfortunately, I can't afford the full version. Im a poor college student. I work at a game store.

56 posts