What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
benn

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by benn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:17 am

@meelis we will run an introductory price of 295€ for a lifetime licence to Indigo (free upgrades for life) for some months, then full price will be 595€.

@purespider we decided on a bottom-right watermark, because many people render with the indigo watermark on anyway. It's kind of just giving respect to indigo, just like people add a piece of text saying 'modelled in blender by purespider'.

@stromberg it'll be a cool watermark - it won't prevent you from making nice art with it. if you need to sell your renders then you can get a licence ja?

@pixie an infobar would be okay - but it would be far too easy for illegitimate users to use a tilt lens and multiple renders to create a large image. maybe not a huge problem - but everyone who doesn't pay a fair price for the licence is taking away from everyone in the community.

The way I like too look at it is - so far, everyone, plugins authors, nick and me - have been working for the love of computer graphics and the indigo community. Now - those who can afford (including many many architects and designers who dont have time to post on the indigo forums ;)) will be paying for great features to be added to Indigo - that those of us who want a free renderer can continue using.

@stinkie thank you. Our goal is to be larger than maxwell and get unbiased rendering out of the niche it is in - and replace many other type of renders. Lofty goals - but hopefully everyone can come along with us.

@stromberg - we understand some professionals start with little capital - but if 295€ is too much you may not be charging enough for your renders. You are a good artist!

@beyer Nick will kill me if we destroy the community - so I hope we can strike the balance correctly.

@handsomedave no nick is just working on sse, threading and physics stuff - just like normal. i'm actually sitting next to my girlfriend in bed, no chains required

@xrok1 i do worry the photo looks a bit like that - but i'm really just a happy funny guy

@radiance yes of course. you've been a huge help to the indigo community.

@bigfan we are talking with exporter writers at the moment (we have a very interesting google group) to work out how to get everyone paid, and you're right about the gallery - I've been working on the code to reinstate all the authorship so that people can remove their images if they don't feel happy about Indigo starting to charge money when before all the development was done for free.

Thanks for your messages guys - I need to get a proper announcement done ja? ;D

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:22 am

benn wrote:@bigfan we are talking with exporter writers at the moment
I've not heard anything directly from you, despite you highlighting my name on the docs/MtI page and linking to my forum profile.

benn

Post by benn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:25 am

Heya Doug, You've just been invited to the group. We had ctzn in for mti.

Ben

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 am

Well it sounds better now :)
And the price is not all that bad either, just hope i have enough money at the start, since i am a student and dont make any money doing 3D, my money does not grow on trees :wink:

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 am

benn,
I'm having trouble accepting that email and signing in to the group. I sent a membership request from my gmail account.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:42 am

Good news, Doug. I would be naked on Earth if I was loosing my fairness.
obsolete asset

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:44 am

@benn

sorry doesnt fly here.. in fact I am sorry but this deal sucks big time.

I think many people will think the same..

personally I think you have made a total abortion of this from the beginning

and you still havent had the spine to answer my questions..

young guys on the big make..jez..

please remove all of my posts from any forums past and present and the motorbike pic in the gallery

you dont have my permission to use the previous Blendigo wiki or a derivative of it either.

thanks
Big Fan

edit: BTW I dont think a statement that 'All rights remain property of the original author.' is the same as the author granting you the right as of now to display their work in your gallery.
you might want to have another little think about that one..

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:08 am

in what way does this deal suck? Youve had unlimited free use of a commercial quality renderer for years.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm

@pixie an infobar would be okay - but it would be far too easy for illegitimate users to use a tilt lens and multiple renders to create a large image. maybe not a huge problem - but everyone who doesn't pay a fair price for the licence is taking away from everyone in the community.
There's no way to base a professional activity around such kind of workarounds, it's bad to the productivity, it might work for a while until they buy the real deal. The only thing is that in this way you alienate those using Indigo as hobby and those who might be doing Indigos PR otherwise trough their own creative work.

@radiance
500000 are peanuts when compared with what Cristiano Ronaldo gets each year. The age alone means nothing, the lines of code means nothing if you got everything the way it should, if you get to know what the world want, what the world need and presenting the good to exchange.

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 pm

what the hell does a soccer player have to do with anything. Just because pro athletes are extremely over paid means nothing.

I haven't been a member of this community for that long but I can understand why some people are upset.

With the current US Dollar exchange rate there is no way I will be purchasing indigo and will likely stop using it.

It says on the Glare website the Ben has been involved with several startups around the world, where are those companies now?

I hope Nick knows what he's doing I have seen many people with great ideas taken advantage of or just led in the wrong direction by people who said and maybe even believed that they knew what they were doing.

I think Nick would have been better off keeping Indigo free to the community (the full indigo not some crippled clone) and charging for SDK/Integration/Full Technical Support.

In the end I don't really think it matters what I or quite likely anyone else in this forum thinks, though I hope I am wrong. My guess is that the website changes were just the beginning of events that will destroy the Indigo Community that many of us have come to enjoy.

EDIT: While I did mean most what I said in this post looking back some of it would have been better left unsaid. I wish Nick and Ben the best of luck and may purchase a license upon release.

Oh yeah, don't post to public forums when you're having a bad day. :wink:
Last edited by handsomedave on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:39 pm

handsomedave wrote:what the hell does a soccer player have to do with anything. Just because pro athletes are extremely over paid means nothing.
It's not as if they were overpaid, it's the market there is they happen just to lay around to collect it... there's no guarantee that Indigo will ever reach that amount or even what problems that may arise in the between... it's rather easy to talk of a forsaken future with fantasy numbers to bake up your claim, the reality is that Nick will have just what his work's worth, not a single penny more not a single penny less, wether it is a few hundreds or a few thousand euros..

It's the economy stupid!

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:34 pm

benn wrote:we will run an introductory price of 295€ for a lifetime licence to Indigo (free upgrades for life) for some months, then full price will be 595€.
Sounds good.
benn wrote:@stinkie thank you. Our goal is to be larger than maxwell and get unbiased rendering out of the niche it is in - and replace many other type of renders. Lofty goals - but hopefully everyone can come along with us.
Three things to keep in mind to make this happen: workflow, workflow, and workflow. Take a long hard look at Whaat's SkIndigo.

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I would not buy Indigo if it weren't considerably easier to use than, say, Maxwell. Ease of use = efficiency = good.

You boys gonna post a feature list any day soon?

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:21 pm

@big fan:

it think the reason noone answered your questions is because youre still... big fan.

and if you really want your profile and all messages deleted, i think it can be arranged. id be happy to do that ;) :P

@Radiance:

yes, i remember ono saying that rather often a few years ago, but youll have to see what indigo has become. i dont think nick himself thought that he would keep working on it for so long or that it would ever get this famous.

@all the other lux guys (including Radiance):

i dont get why you are that mad. its supposed to be a good thing for you? it will surely flood your forum with new users....

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:57 pm

To those bitching:

Why this is a great deal. Ono has put a lot of work into this product which up until now you have enjoyed for free (maybe some of you bothered to donate but I doubt it). That was a good deal. Ono has decided that the SDK concept wasn't putting food on his table and realises, with the assistance of one Ben Nolan, "I have a product that is worth being paid for" and so puts up a price. The price is high, but not high compared to other commercial offerings in the same business space. Ono offers you, the previous free loader, a half price LIFETIME LICENSE, yes pay once and then it's back to being free again as far as you are concerned. He does this out of respect and thanks for the existing contributing members of the indigo family.

What part of the above seems wrong to you people? Great person gets paid for years of work and you get the ultimate software pricing deal. Everybody wins.

So get that credit card out and warm it up and don't forget to smile as you hit the order button 'cause you just scored a hell of a deal.

Otherwise bugger off to Lux-land and take Radiance and his henchman with you. I for one am sick to death of hearing about what Ono owes you. Ono owes YOU nothing, you owe Ono plenty.

The above statement is entirely my opinion and cannot be taken as the opinion of Glare Technologies or their affiliates. Haha couldn't resist :D

I sincerely hope that no one, other than Radiance and Big Fan, take offence to the way in which this post is worded. My only hope is to be a catalyst for attitude adjustment as that is all that is required.

*waits for Ben's PM asking me to refrain from aggressive posting on forums...again* ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:38 pm

ehm.. Hi.. :]

I feel happy that Nicholas finally will get some real money for his work
..that doesn't mean I'm all for Indigo going commercial, but I do think it's fair for Nick..
Though, I was hoping for a solution where the base engine still would be free

Don't think many thought Indigo would get this big 3 years ago ^^
There's a lot of people who helped out during those three (++) years
Together with ThatDude33, Me and him started the Maya to Indigo exporter
Worked quite a lot with it.. Not saying I demand any money for it, even though I maybe should =P

Hope everyone who helped out get what they deserve when Indigo go commercial ;]

We still will have the already free versions of Indigo to play with, and they kinda work really well already, right?

Bleh, this became much text XD
Sorry ^^

PS: For some reason I think v0.3 to v0.6 is more fun to use actually X]
Last edited by arneoog on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

154 posts