What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Stinkie
Indigo 100

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by Stinkie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Trust me, you'll find that the Studio is very, very unstable. I once had + 60 crashes in a single day instancing Maxwell-ready Dosch trees around.

For the record, I am using an 8 core Mac Pro with 16 gb of RAM - not exactly a low end machine. Or at least not to my standards. NL may have a different take on this - they tend to. :)

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 am

Stinkie wrote:Trust me, you'll find that the Studio is very, very unstable. I once had + 60 crashes in a single day instancing Maxwell-ready Dosch trees around.

For the record, I am using an 8 core Mac Pro with 16 gb of RAM - not exactly a low end machine. Or at least not to my standards. NL may have a different take on this - they tend to. :)
Well that studio is unstable is true, but you realy dont have to use it. :P
Since you can export from you 3d app and render it straight from there.

benn

Post by benn » Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 am

delic wrote:
carbon wrote:Glare Technologies and Ranch Computing consolidation? :P
benn wrote:no
I think if RANCH does not support indigo commercial, I wont buy indigo, if there is no x64 farm alternative.

Blender/indigo/ranch is what makes it useable for professional work, or else it's useless for me ...
Ranch will support indigo commercial of course. We will probably make the upload process easier too - a button to upload straight to ranch.

jteh715g1

Post by jteh715g1 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi everyone.
I am very new to Indigo and even rendering in general. I think that this program is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is I did until I read this forum and found out it is going commercial. I am very happy for the creators of this renderer that they have come so far and have been able to create a product that will be beneficial to them financially, especially in this bad economy. However, I am not even out of High School yet and would have no way to pay for the commercial version of the program (my weekly allowance is not going to cover it) and would love to keep up to date with the new software (even though I don't know how to use the newest version yet). I mean this in no way against the creators that their hard work should go unrewarded, I just don't know if this whole "family" thing will still be a "family" if it goes commercial and I know that everyone here is as close knit as we can be over the internet. I am just getting the hang of Indigo and would hate to change plus the computers our school gives us are not the best quality and I don't know if it would be able to handle other programs that might be of bigger size and more complex. I guess I will have to wait for the official report to see all the details and I will wait it out and see what happens.

Best wishes on the outcome.

Jteh

P.S. -Would it be possible to put the cost in US dollars also, if not ill use the converters off some website on google. Thank you.

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 pm

jteh,

Cant you get a job?

joxer

Post by joxer » Sat May 02, 2009 5:59 am

I want to ask, when commercial version of indigo will be out, will it be still possible use current version (1.09 and older) for commercial projects or not?
thanks

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Sat May 02, 2009 6:15 am

joxer, the license agreement on these verstions quite clearly states that they are free to use for any purpose. There's no way for the developer to retroactively change this as he's bound to these terms.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 am

SATtva_ wrote:joxer, the license agreement on these verstions quite clearly states that they are free to use for any purpose. There's no way for the developer to retroactively change this as he's bound to these terms.
But we cant use them for commercial purposes right? Or is that only for Indigo 2.0 and forward?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am

> Or is that only for Indigo 2.0 and forward?

Yes, it is. Here's what I have in the license.txt file for 1.1.18:

"You may use Indigo for commercial use, with the following restriction:

"You may not install or use Indigo on a render-farm, where the use of, or access to, the render farm (and/or software installed on the renderfarm computers, and/or other services) is sold to any third party, without an explicit written agreement for such usage with Nicholas Chapman (nickamy@paradise.net.nz)."

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sat May 02, 2009 9:09 am

Ok cool :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

jteh715g1

Post by jteh715g1 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:56 am

remus wrote:jteh,

Cant you get a job?
I am applying now for summer jobs but I have not been hired yet so I don't know how much I would make. I just turned 16 so I not going to be making anything decent.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sun May 03, 2009 3:40 am

jteh715g1 wrote:

Cant you get a job?
I am applying now for summer jobs but I have not been hired yet so I don't know how much I would make. I just turned 16 so I not going to be making anything decent.
Perhaps you could do a deal with your parents/guardians for a bday present or Christmas present? Maybe an interest free loan from them? just ideas :P

I only say this as right now a lifetime license is one hell of a deal! Just tell them it's important because there are a limited number of these licenses available and therefore time is of the essence and it means pay once and you have a tool available to you for it's lifetime at no further cost :)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Frt

Post by Frt » Sun May 03, 2009 4:11 am

WytRaven wrote:
jteh715g1 wrote:

Cant you get a job?
Perhaps you could do a deal with your parents/guardians for a bday present or Christmas present? Maybe an interest free loan from them? just ideas :P

I only say this as right now a lifetime license is one hell of a deal! Just tell them it's important because there are a limited number of these licenses available and therefore time is of the essence and it means pay once and you have a tool available to you for it's lifetime at no further cost :)

Totally agree :D

What can be better as the present, than a damn good renderer lifetime license? :mrgreen:

Alex

jteh715g1

Post by jteh715g1 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks guys. It is true, that would be a very good present. I'll ask them and see what kind of response I can get from them. I would want to get into the field of engineering when I get older and even though this isn't about engineering, I can make it look good. Thanks for the advice.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

jteh715g1 wrote:Thanks guys. It is true, that would be a very good present. I'll ask them and see what kind of response I can get from them. I would want to get into the field of engineering when I get older and even though this isn't about engineering, I can make it look good. Thanks for the advice.
More then you think it is! Generaly you use auto cad or one of the other CAD suits when designing anything - client / boss needs to see how progress is going - export , set up scene, redner, present!
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

154 posts