Standard light with physical sky issue

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
mrmoose

Standard light with physical sky issue

Post by mrmoose » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:07 am

Is it possible to use standard light with physical sky? I have done hundreds of try out with no success.

Thanks for any reply

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 am

Hey! Do you mean, is it possible to use emitters while having a sunlight system enabled? If so: yes, it is possible! But you will have to set your emitters' characteristics VERY VERY high, like extreme power, or extreme efficacy. I've tested this issue myself when playing with home made emitters; now that i think about that, would be interesting the behaviour of IES lights..
Hope I helped!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 am

Hey mrmoose...

You'll have to edit your light strength settings (gain for blackbody for eaxample) under the 0.001 limit of C4D manually in the igs...
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 am

ZomB wrote:Hey mrmoose...

You'll have to edit your light strength settings (gain for blackbody for eaxample) under the 0.001 limit of C4D manually in the igs...
Aren't you saying the contrary than pibuz, ZomB ? I don't know C4D but generally speaking gain should be amplified to a huge amount, not reduced...

I'm surprised you are asking, mrmoose, since you are around here for a while now :)
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 am

Afaik using BlackBody light together with SunSky the meshlight are so much brighter that tonemapping turns the sky black... isn't it??!

So lowering the gain of the bright Black Body should help!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 am

...or the other way round: the emitter itself turns black due to not enough power/gain

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

Afaik using BlackBody light together with SunSky the meshlight are so much brighter that tonemapping turns the sky black... isn't it??!
Indeed, you can see this happening if you set the meshlights gain to crazy values from the beginning, otherwise that's the contrary, black meshlights :D I guess that's what mrmoose is experiencing, am I right mrmoose ? Were you finally successfull ?

Now, maybe the C4D exporter uses inverse of gain in the UI (lower values = stronger lights). But that would not make much sense, I don't believe that's the case honestly.
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 am

regarding env maps one has to lower the lamps or the other way around in env map...

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:26 pm

however is a very nightmare use the sunlight with artificial light...
and i dont know why this problem is already present in Indigo... :(
Luca. ;)

mrmoose

Post by mrmoose » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 pm

ZomB wrote:Hey mrmoose...
I'm surprised you are asking, mrmoose, since you are around here for a while now :)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ok, thanks for your reply.
I use Cindigo to export from Cinema to Indigo. My mistake was unit measure (i forgot it :oops: ). In Cinema i use cm but Indigo works in m and i don't fix the Global Scale Multiplier parameter. So the scene was too big for the emitters.

Now i fix it, setting the GSM parameter to 0.01 (so 1 in Cinema = 0.01 in Indigo) but emitters are still black. I have to increase Gain or Efficacy Scale parameters to see them 8)

Only IES lights are not visible... I think that gain parameter don't work with IES, right? :(

mrmoose :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:22 pm

mrmoose wrote:Only IES lights are not visible... I think that gain parameter don't work with IES, right? :(

Now YOU got me, I have tested IES once and I can't remember what parammeter is tweakable or not, between gain and temperature :mrgreen: Certainly there is an issue if one can't tweak their relative power.

I don't know if the harder part comes from Indigo itself or the tonemapping method used when it comes to setting meshlights + sun... I would recommend not to use reinhard for this, here comes a method I remember now:

turn the lights off, use sun only.

Set the tonemapping (tm) to camera or linear (the film sensibility will be constant then, you want that in order to have some place marker in light intensity "space"). I stick with linear since it's easy to set (1 param). Set tm so sun light looks ok.

Mute the sun, don't touch the tm, and now find the right gain/efficacy value for meshlights. When you are done they will have an energy value close to sun.

Turn the sunsky on, divide tm value /2 or nearby and done !

Setting this all correctly is not hell, it's a few-steps process ;)

Now for envmap I can't help, maybe the same process applies. I hope that helped !
obsolete asset

mrmoose

Post by mrmoose » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm

CTZn wrote:Now YOU got me, I have tested IES once and I can't remember what parammeter is tweakable or not, between gain and temperature :mrgreen: Certainly there is an issue if one can't tweak their relative power.

I don't know if the harder part comes from Indigo itself or the tonemapping method used when it comes to setting meshlights + sun... I would recommend not to use reinhard for this, here comes a method I remember now:

turn the lights off, use sun only.

Set the tonemapping (tm) to camera or linear (the film sensibility will be constant then, you want that in order to have some place marker in light intensity "space"). I stick with linear since it's easy to set (1 param). Set tm so sun light looks ok.

Mute the sun, don't touch the tm, and now find the right gain/efficacy value for meshlights. When you are done they will have an energy value close to sun.

Turn the sunsky on, divide tm value /2 or nearby and done !

Setting this all correctly is not hell, it's a few-steps process ;)

Now for envmap I can't help, maybe the same process applies. I hope that helped !
Thanks CTZn, i'll try your method for sure!!! ;)

Woodie

Post by Woodie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:46 am

I tried that. So far my lamps are 2400W. IT is rendering so I will see results when back at home. 1200 was not enough.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:52 am

IES don't work directly.. you need to manually edit them. (Using any simple text-editor should work fine, just change all the digits and or multiply the all the values by the same constant and save it as "_numberofIES_*_your_constant_.ies" or what ever you decide^^

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 am

Any success following that ?
obsolete asset

15 posts • Page 1 of 1