Indigo, gelato, skindigo, sugestions...

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
DacaD

Indigo, gelato, skindigo, sugestions...

Post by DacaD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 am

this question result of my other topic i started yesterday. I don´t really understand how it works but gelato from nvidia is a software to acelarate render graphics using the nvidia graphics card but the plug ins are just for maya or 3DS max. this from what i understand, if someone use it can explain this to me better?whats the benefits and so on?I also use 3DS max and this could come handy:)

and can this be made for indigo?or making indigo using the graphics card? my friends always softmod the geforce or ati cards to a quadro or fire gl to really acelarate things i was thinking this would be a cool thing to add to indigo (if possible) like making the software using every resource available in the computer for rendering.

oh and one little doubt of mine: whats the use, in skindigo in render settings, of the number of threads? i can´t really understand how it works and whats for with my testings...

Sorry for beeing a newbie in this and boring all with this same questions and doubts...

David

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:27 am

A quick Forum search would really answer 90% of your questions dude!
We discussed this topic over and over... -.-

A Quadro or a softmodded ati/nvidia card ONLY benefits in Viewport Acceleration in 3D Max, Maya, Blender, C4D, bla bla bla...

GPU acceleration in rendering is mostly usable for biased renderengines,
There are some GPU renderers out there and I'm sure the big compannys will add (some) GPU acceleration to their renderers soon...
(A Quadro or softmodded card would speed up things here too!)

For accelerating a unbiased renderengine like Indigo double precision is important and a looooot of RAM, so maybe in the next GPU generation this could be interesting.

ATM some parts of the engine might be GPU accelerated, like tonemapping or the new Shader calculation Ono is working on (maybe even more parts I don't know about!!), but porting the whole Engine to GPU acceleration is afaik atm not possible!
polygonmanufaktur.de

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:29 am

As another FYI, softmodding your card doesn't really do much like it used to in the GF4 days (where you would see HUGE speedups inpro apps) - you're just comprimising a little of your gaming performance for no gain, nowadays.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 am

ZomB wrote: For accelerating a unbiased renderengine like Indigo double precision is important and a looooot of RAM, so maybe in the next GPU generation this could be interesting.
I just ordered 4Gb of RAM for my PC (to replace the very slow 2Gb i have now), will it speed up/shorten my rendering time?

DacaD

Post by DacaD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 am

thanks fo the replies guys. and i´m sorry for not searching better in the foruns for answers for my questions...yeap i´m a newbie...lol
anyway thanks, and sorry for the trouble

David

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:37 am

Borgleader wrote:
ZomB wrote: For accelerating a unbiased renderengine like Indigo double precision is important and a looooot of RAM, so maybe in the next GPU generation this could be interesting.
I just ordered 4Gb of RAM for my PC (to replace the very slow 2Gb i have now), will it speed up/shorten my rendering time?
Nope. Unless you're paging to disk a ton.

It will, however, allow you to (with a 64-bit renderer): render high resolutions, bigger meshes, more textures, etc.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:38 am

zsouthboy wrote:
Nope. Unless you're paging to disk a ton.

It will, however, allow you to (with a 64-bit renderer): render high resolutions, bigger meshes, more textures, etc.
Oh well unfortunately im pretty sure im using 32 bit

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:14 am

gelato from nvidia is a software to acelarate render graphics using the nvidia graphics card
Nope, it is a software designed to render on a nVidia board, not the same.
We discussed this topic over and over... -.-
Don't tell me :roll:
obsolete asset

8 posts • Page 1 of 1