{ASK} Render Farm

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Blazedremedy

{ASK} Render Farm

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 am

I need to know if 4 computers: 1 with a quad core and 3 with dual cores is enough to have a good reliable render farm or if there is a company that will render a Skindigo/Indigo scene for a cost? Or is 4 Computers good?
I ask this because my boss asked me to look in to render farming company's that could have a scene rendered from indigo/skindigo for us fast without any trouble. We can do renders but my boss isn't sure if the time we can get a scene done is going to be efficient enough. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:59 am

Maybe this will help (this was taken from the blendigo wiki, HERE) :
Blendigo Wiki wrote:While Indigo can be used on practically every desktop or laptop rendering with this method is very calculation intensive.

Producing a reasonably noise free render of a simple scene at 800x600px with a 1gb,3gz Pentium might take say 12-24 hrs depending on the materials.

Ideally you should invest in a recent quad core machine or set up a small network (see section below) for rendering more than experimental work. A quad at 3.66ghz will be > 10x faster than a single 3ghz Pentium.

More complex scenes and/or of a large size can take a long time to render even so. A useful indication of the degree of image refinement or clarity obtained is the number of iterations/pixel done. Typically you would not be happy with say 1000 mut/pixel (the Indigo UI displays the figure in progress) although you could ‘cheat’ a little at this level by using a noise reduction program like Neat Image, Noise Ninja or Noiseware to remove the more obvious pixel dust at the cost of some detail.

More likely people will call a render finished at 3000 mut/pixel. You could go on rendering for as long as you wanted but somewhere is a balance between getting the job done and the difference being not really discernable. Purists would probably finally give in at 6000 mut/pixel and addicts should be stopped at 12000 for their own good.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 am

Borgleader wrote:
Blendigo Wiki wrote:addicts should be stopped at 12000 for their own good.
:lol: :lol:

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:33 am

It very much depends at what resolution you want to render. Let us know and I can give you an idea...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:53 pm

There is ATM no commercial service such this one... this depends on the kind of scene and the deadline you have to observe.

On most scenes the 4 computers you have should be just fine !
obsolete asset

5 posts • Page 1 of 1