terrain + atmospheric scattering test

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Deus wrote:Ill use this :)
theres someone we havent seen for a while!

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:32 am

Yesindeed :D
What does Indigoworld do? :)

Deus

Post by Deus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I have been too busy with work. I will get back to it when I have some spare cycles. The lack of a preview utility for indigo scenes is really what kills the project because it takes so much time to test out procedural algorithms that targets indigos format natively. :)

Robotbeat

Post by Robotbeat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:54 pm

This is so awesome. I love the physically accurate (well, close!) aspect of raytracing (or whatever this "unbiased" stuff is called). Ever since I heard about the concept, I've thought that procedurally generated objects are what dreams are made of... It's so much more elegant to just basically tell the computer to model things physically and have it spit out a nice picture than to try to fake it! Heh, but processing power isn't free. And using an unbiased raytracer makes it even worse than something like pov-ray (although more realistic and harder to distinguish from a photograph... it used to be you could tell the real and the virtual apart by simply looking to see if there was any graininess).

Anyways, great job with procedural generation and the accurate atmospheric effects! Terragen 2 needs more competition!

Robotbeat

Post by Robotbeat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:16 pm

I guess what I was trying to say was that the more procedural stuff, the better! I'm a beginner. I've used pov-ray on and off for the last ten years (I haven't done anything grandiose), but I must say that the coolest thing about this sort of stuff is the near limitless levels of complexity possible with procedural textures. The more, the better! Someday, the computer power will be a million times faster (in twenty or thirty years, according to Moore's law... *sigh*), which will make smoothly interacting with these scenes possible. Procedural generation will sort of future-proof the worlds we create today.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Well, stay tuned, because there will be a lot more procedural stuff coming to Indigo soon (see the shader thread).

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:54 pm

Ever since I heard about the concept, I've thought that procedurally generated objects are what dreams are made of... It's so much more elegant to just basically tell the computer to model things physically and have it spit out a nice picture than to try to fake it!
My brother...

Ono, fancy releasing clouds ?
obsolete asset

22 posts