indigo scale

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
eman7613

indigo scale

Post by eman7613 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:30 pm

Wasnt sure whether to put this here or in bugs & requests but allwell.

I think it would be a rather good idea, to create a scene that demonstraits all the features suported in indego's current release & make a script to stop it at 100, or 200 mutations per pixle. it would have a set resolution and everything and be distributed to everyone to runder. When it finishes, you post up ur procesor (type and version) & the time it took to render. Using a little math you can turn that into a scaled sytem that would have a numver of uses.

people could look and see, well if i have the cpu & i want to upgrade how much gain would i get from the one as uposed too... that one.

Using benchmarks of other sites &calculating teh averg % difference of calculation intensive benchmarks we could estimate and temorarily fill in the gap of missing CPUs

people new to indigo & are curious as to how long a render will take can get a gernal idea (provided was save middle, low, and high end renderd images from teh scale.)

we would have an acurate means by which we could benchnmarck & measure the exact average performance gains over a previous version.

with a little applet writing we could make an online "calculator" for a network rendering. This way you could see the differnce in various set ups for a render farm (or whether or not running 3 old computers for a single image or 1 new one would be faster. ie: there is a deal in the paper for a workstaion at $1000, and your freind is selling his 3 old dells for $200 each).

this wouldent take more then a week to get startedonce the intial modeling is done & enough cpus are benched. And considering indigo has a good number of active members, we should be able to get a fairl large number of cpus benched
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:43 pm

I've played with the auto-stopping of indigo for animation purposes. The best I came up with was to use java so that it would run on most any OS. The problem is that it only works with pre-0.6 becase the threading in 0.6 and on breaks java's process stopping. I also had problems with indigo being intalled in diffrent places using different path separators. (Not hard, just a bugar to deal with).

I think we should put some of this stuff on a wishlist for 0.6Final, but I am all for it. I've run the povray benchmark on every computer I've owned, I'd love to run an indigo benchmark too.

dogfin -

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:06 pm

im not that good with java, but tming it to stop after say, 1, 2 hours redner time wouldent be teribly dificult and should work regardles right? basicly would be the same benchmark just to a differnt scale. or we could convert it no real differnce ;p

edit: ya, i gota agre on the wishlist, i dont kno how dificult it would be, but a simple built in script in indigo would be perfect (or a version for benchmark purposes that comes with the scene to be benched built in would also work)

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Oh yeah. Its a piece of cake. It just doesn't work for 0.6 and onward. And I'd have to play with it a bit to make sure it worked across operating systems. (I'm in Linux). I could probly have it done from my existing code in just a few hours. Let me know what you think, and lets hear some ideas on what the scene would look like!

dogfin -

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:52 am

http://studentweb.ewu.edu/rply90/IndigoBatch.zip

Here is my program. Others could probly do way better. Download it and unzip it into a directory. It has an .ini file you need to configure.

Requires:
Java 1.5
Indigo Renderer 0.5 (sorry 0.6 people)

indigobatch.ini:
if in linux/unix, set 'wine' to yes.
set your paths, and then how many mutations it should render for.

Now you just need to get a terminal into that dir, and execute the command:
java -jar IndigoBatch.jar c:\files\to\render\

The last bit is the path to the files you want to render, it can be a directory full of them, or you can just put the path of a single file. If at the end of the render, Indigo has spit out a bad .png, it will automaticaly start the render over.

Thats it. I hope that 1) it makes sense to somebody, and 2) actualy works for someone other than myself. I have tested this under Linux and Windows, but I know what I'm doing and may have missed a crucial step.

I'm going out for the weekend, but I may get a chance to check in. Please tell me how its working. Later.

dogfin -

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:44 pm

makes sence, ill try it later, im still working on thininkg up a good scene that will test all the features and not be cumversome and look well, stupid. if anyone wants to help feel free.

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:24 am

wow, script looks neat and easy to conf. I'll give it a try.
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

7 posts • Page 1 of 1