Exit Portals Question

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Exit Portals Question

Post by pixie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 am

I've been trying to use some Exit Portals to see if I can cut in times yet to no avail. I put them as it should, with normals corrected, z axis inwards still I have less samples then without, something I wasn't expecting. Anyone knows why? I though that anytime they would make the render go faster.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:48 am

if you change between BiDir and no BiDir, it doesn't really count the same.
BiDir will always have a lower sampling count, although the image overally already has less noise.
I guess, same happens, when using Exit Portals.
Just make sure, they're as small and as simple as possible. If you simply make a big cube around the scene, it wont be faster at all. Just cover all the openings with the simplest meshes, you're able to (usually a single quad, as most openings have that shape) and as shape matching as you can.
Also put it as close to the wall as possible. Slight intersecting shouldn't harm, in this case ;)

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 am

I attach a scene akin to that giving the problem, and which the 'problem' still remains.

Whenever I do Exit Portals I do like this, close the last further hole where light might come in, otherwise I don't do it at all(if for example something interesting is outside the window).

The ratio is:
with: 3436
without: 9582
Attachments
ExitPortal.rar
Files
(35.31 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Don't look at the sample count. Just observe if noise cleans faster with exit portals than without them.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:49 pm

The thing is, without exit portals there's almost no noise, with them it start almost from black... I'll have to check further in time though so I can better check it

5 posts • Page 1 of 1