Indigo on Ubuntu

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
doublez

Indigo on Ubuntu

Post by doublez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 am

This has probably been asked before but the search didn't come up with good results so I'll ask anyways.

I have an extra laptop sitting around not being use that I want to use to render scenes. It's running ubuntu so I guess I'll have to use wine to use indigo. I don't know anything about using wine though so I need some help. How do I install wine and and indigo? Then how can I use the blendigo exporter on xp to export the indigo scene, then copy the file over to the laptop and render it?

Thanks

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:16 am

installing wine is as simple as

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install wine
I've written out instructions before on how to share files with windows (look for the thread "Mixing windows/linux render slaves" - or something similar), even if you don't use it in network rendering mode, it should give you some pointers on how to at least get the files across and how to get indigo running.

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am

Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

doublez

Post by doublez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:06 am

dougal2 I found that thread and read through it but didn't find much of what I was looking for.

joegiampaoli That link was exactly what I wanted, I think. I'll try it out later and post my results.
[/b]

doublez

Post by doublez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:31 pm

joegiampaoli Your guide worked great, the only problem I had was with the .blender folder. I had to "show hidden files (ctrl + h)" to see it. I haven't tried making a launcher yet, but I'll try it later. Do you want me to post in your thread?

[edit] I also had a problem rendering large scenes. I wouldn't say my scene is large only 155,000 verts and about the same amount of faces, but it worked fine in console mode and it's probably faster in console mode?

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:13 am

sure the console is faster. Any kind of GUI makes things slower ;)

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:55 am

Yes, big scenes crash in GUI always.
You don't have to post there, just cast a poll vote that's all.

I'm glad you have it working.

[EDIT]: Ok you know, I maybe do need you to post there after all, I need you to explain to me if you did every step in the guide and you had that .blender folder already from the begining. This is what confuses some users. I think I'll have to do some mods to the guide.

Thx
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:42 am

.blender is a hidden folder.
It's called ".XYZ", because this way, it can be hidden by Blender, too. (The Ghost symbol hides all files and folders, which begin with a ".")
So, simply add, that it needs to be unhidden, before you can do the guide...
(I personally reveal all hidden folders. Why should I want, that I don't see them?)

8 posts • Page 1 of 1