Carmine Substance Editor v1.15 (Indigo Material Editor)

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Wedge

Carmine Substance Editor v1.15 (Indigo Material Editor)

Post by Wedge » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Carmine version 1.15 is here. Feel free to help me test and solve any bugs. :)

Short story is that this is written on Windows XP with Visual Basic. .NET Framework 2.0 may be needed to run this program.

Program Purpose: Carmine does not do the job all for you, since materials are defined in the mesh, you will have to set up your scene with placeholding materials (textures included so that UV coords export) and then set up the mats in Carmine with identical names. All Carmine will do is allow you to set up a material from scratch and export to a file where you can include or replace the mats from your main scenefile. At least placeholding mats would work in Blender, not sure about other 3D packages.

Thanks for testing/using the program and finding bugs. Thanks also for suggesting improvements to the program.

Special thanks also to the bug finders: CTZn, Pinko5

Edit: Version 1.15 has been released! Those of you that have followed the progress since first release, I am sure we can agree this program has come a long way. :) To everyone that hasn't tried it yet, now is the time! :cool:

Officially Retired: As of Feb 20 2008 I have retired. Carmine version 1.00 is my last work. See thread here for more information:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3673
Attachments
Carmine115.zip
Carmine v1.15 (material editor for Indigo version 111)
(39.83 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
carm.jpg
GUI of Carmine version 1.10
carm.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Last edited by Wedge on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

filippo

Post by filippo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:26 am

sorry, I don't understand as it works
filippo

can you help me?
2x Xeon quad core ghz 2.66(8 core)+4g ram+quadro fx
2 x Xeon Quad 5540 (16 core)+16GB ram+ Nvidia GTX 295 1800mb

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:49 am

tnx Wedge I try it as soon as possible
Pinko.;)

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 am

Thank you Wedge!! It works, at least for simple mats.. will try it tomorrow again!! ciao!

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:52 am

This seems like it will be awesome! I have downloaded and it seems to run fine - just have no idea hot to use it. Not to sound ungratefull, but maybe some instructions/documentation would be in order?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 am

Excellent, that's a very welcome helper for materials !

I'm just feeling like there is a magic button missing... may be just me ;) Huh no got it:
  • - Select Material: Set
    - Give the material a name
    - Then in Current Materials click Add
    - Then File: Save igs
* Crash when Clearing material item from Current Materials
* Can not deselect items and easily create next material

Working good so far, nice one !

Cheers
obsolete asset

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:35 am

CTZn, thanks for the bug report. Looks like I forgot to update my clear function with the updated value ranges. I'll fix that one asap.

I'll also try to update the readme with some directions. Too often as a developer I think the program is easy to use. I can see it being quite confusing.

I would not advise a novice to use it until they understand the materials of Indigo. Also helpful to know how to use the include feature of Indigo as Carmine saves material files for that purpose. You should be able to <include> it into your scene file at the bottom of the other materials and I think Indigo will accept them without the need to remove the originals.

Updated: New version posted.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

paulo_gomes

Post by paulo_gomes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks Wedge! but i can't make it work under wine :(

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 am

I'll also try to update the readme with some directions. Too often as a developer I think the program is easy to use. I can see it being quite confusing.
Nice thought from a coder. You want the people to be able to use your soft anyway !

That said, my first impression was: "wow, what a mess !" :D
obsolete asset

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:39 am

COOL! 8D Thanks Wedge!

Imma check this out this evening. Gave it a quick open and the window seems to be slightly smaller than what it is trying to display ... seems to cut of part of the texture box at the bottom.

*edit*
I think what might be useful is on the mouse over hint have the acceptable values range show on certain properties ... like when i mouse over cauchy b have, instead of showing "enter the cauchy b" how bout show an acceptable range? i dont know what this should be so it would be helpful to me and perhaps any other new user of indigo or your editor.

dunno, just a suggestion! thanks again for your efforts!!

also, is there supposed to be a way to swicth between materials that are saved in the current materials list? i cant figure it out. i presume "view current material" should do something but i cant figure it. ok thanks.

:D

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey, I have some time here to ask a few questions about some posts here. And thanks for all of the feedback! :)

Filippo: Do the new directions help you understand some of the program?

CTZn: Not sure what you mean by deselecting a material in the list box. There should be no reason to do that, unless I do not understand what you mean.

Phrost: Do the added directions help you understand the program better?

Paulo: I do not know much about Linux. But a question may help me. Are you having trouble running the installer? If so I might be able to provide the EXE instead of an installer since this program is quite simple. Maybe this will work? Does Linux allow you to run programs that may require .NET version 2 or any other versions?

cpfresh: This program is designed in a 1024x768 fixed size window. Are you using large fonts or running in a smaller screen resolution than +1024x768? Any information may be able to help me. Tooltips with ranges are a good idea, the range boxes right now are only limited somewhat. The problem is I do not know the actual ranges for all of the values at this time. If people know the ranges and want to help me clamp them to valid areas, that could work. (leaving room for people to test unreal values too, maybe? [for testing purposes]) As for viewing other saved materials, yes you can, just check the readme on that, it will explain.

Noticed some typo in the Readme. I'll fix these in the next release.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 am

Wedge
Sorry, I am still lost. I am of the opinion that I am just a tad more savy than the average user, so I am guessing that quite a few other ppl wont "get it" as well. Maybe I am just misunderstanding the purpose of this program?

Maybe a clear practical usage doc would be the ticket - with a few screenshots.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:34 pm

CTZn: Not sure what you mean by deselecting a material in the list box. There should be no reason to do that, unless I do not understand what you mean.
Nevermind, I just should have pressed the Change button. I did not because I understood that would overide listed items.

I'm testing Carmine further and am about to create an <include> with all proposed materials, for testing purposes. I had difficulties with the Specular Medium, I could link it but then couldn't add it to list, maybe linking is enough for Carmine, will see.

Will definitly be usefull as it is standalone, thanks !

* BUG Specular medium do not recognize linked medium, can not add Speculer Medium (provided that I'm not missing some special point)
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:15 pm

For you Phr0stByte, a little video wich is not a tutorial but rather me messing with Carmine. I could stream it down using VLC and I recommend that method. BTW it has no sound.

Wedge, you will notice a bug after phong export, when I try to create a blend the bump line activates and prevents writing to file. That was live ;)
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 pm

CTZn
Thanks for your efforts on that, CTZn. Very helpful.

44 posts