Carmine Substance Editor v1.15 (Indigo Material Editor)

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:36 am

I performed a bug hunt and here is another update to fix a few bugs. Enjoy! :)
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 pm

I do not mean to keep posting in a row but I do not want these updates to go unnoticed. (it has been a few days since my last post)

Added a remove material button to Carmine this time. Enjoy! :)
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

Azrael Crusader

Post by Azrael Crusader » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 am

Hy guys,

I'm not quite sure if this question occurs before, but is it possible to include a pause function for the indigo renderer? I mean the renderer takes a long long time and sometimes there is something urgent to do...

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am

you're quite wrong in this thread.

you can't pause indigo, but you can change the priority of the indigo process, by right clicking on it in the task manager.

you can work better after that.

Also you can stop and resume. search the forums :)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:10 pm

A bug with the installer has been brought to my attention by Pinko5. (Thanks Pinko)

This program no longer uses an installer. To make sure that WindowsXP (or any other OS that can run this program) does not block the EXE from unzipping, (like it did on my computer) a .REMOVE extension has been added to the file. You will need to remove this in order to run Carmine. The notes for this are included in the readme. Enjoy! :)

Azrael Crusader

Post by Azrael Crusader » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Woops... No alcohol yesterday, but still the wrong thead... :lol: No idea how I came in this thread...

Thanks for your answer, fused.

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 am

Tnx Wedge the 0.9 version works fine for me...no error!!!
Luca. ;)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 pm

That is good to know Pinko!

Maintenance release 0.91 posted. Enjoy! :)

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm

woowwwww tnx
Luca. ;)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Release v1.00 has landed! I am very pleased with the result. :) Enjoy!

Officially Retired: As of Feb 20 2008 I have retired. Carmine version 1.00 is my last work. See thread here for more information:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3673

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri May 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I am not back from "retirement" but I have done some more work to Carmine and I wanted to share it. :D Enjoy!

Just realized I forgot to reset the tab order after reworking the GUI. So keep that in mind. :oops:

History:

*reworked GUI to 950x700 pixels
*updated GUI graphics
*added 4 file browsers
*removed color blend feature
*added edit feature that allows user to change material settings (except name and type)
*removed redundant color buttons (now open color panel by clicking on swatch)
*removed "remove material" feature because it was possible to remove components of a blend or specular material which will cause errors
*updated phong material with specular reflectivity spectrum
*added oren nayar material
*restructured code to be more efficient and less redundant

Edit: Updated again:
*reworked GUI and reset tab order
*reworked texture exponent boxes to be similar to gamma boxes
*added <include> code to saved file for easy cut paste

A word about the include code. Include stuff is a feature of Indigo that allows you to include a file from an external source. So when you save your material file, it will save the include tags at the top and from there you can cut and paste that information to your main scene file where materials would normally be placed. As long as you do not change the path of that material file....it will load into Indigo when you load your main scene file.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Updated to support Indigo 111 displacement map. Enjoy! :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks wedge, a lot of crits following, I hope you won't mind ;O) acknowledged your "retirement", and thanks anyway !

I have some difficulties using Carmine plently; what is the "no internal medium name selected" error ? I have created a basic medium, it's selected, and when I switch the drop down list to "specular medium" only the name field is editable, and that's not enough for Carmine. I can't seem to sort it out, but if I misread the doc then nevermind.

Also I'm finding the naming convention confusing:

Specular (like glossy transp) is not a medium by itself (and should be transparent or opaque, but as I said I'm not sure I did right. I tried I swear !).

"view" works as one would expect "edit" to, "edit" would be more like "apply" ("apply" the "edit", and not "edit" the "view", see ?), "create" or "add".... can fit both, okay.

I believe one have to conform to some extent to naming conventions, in order to make the first contact easier to the user.

I was not completly successfull running Carmine this time, I hope that was just me...

cheers !
obsolete asset

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Hello CTZn, I always value your feedback. Here are some answers to your questions:

"no internal medium name selected" error is caused when you try to add a specular or glossy transparent material to the list. Since these materials refer to mediums, you will need to first create your mediums. When you need to add a specular/glossy transparent material, you need to link the medium by selecting it from list and link it with "M" button. (see tooltip)

About naming specular and glossy transparent as a material in the list. This is done because specular and glossy are considered a material even though they have no use until you link a medium to it. Allowing it to be added to list separate the medium means you have more flexibility and can have more specular/glossy transparent materials refer to same medium with different settings. (instead of being created as one joint material with the medium)

You are right about "edit" button should be named "Apply" it certainly makes more sense. When I wrote it all I was thinking was that the purpose of this feature was to edit a material and so it became the button name. If I make another version update I will try and change it to "Apply."

Thanks again for your feedback. :)

Edit: Oh, I thought you did not know how to add a specular material. I see now this is a bug. Thanks, I will fix this soon.

Edit 2: Bug fixed, and buttons renamed. Thanks CTZn :)

44 posts