Indigo Material Challenge Thread

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:38 am

The problem with image-based textures UV'd onto a mesh is that it is not transportable in the least. It only looks good on the mesh you set it up for.

It's not like you can build a material library out of such things; each and every time you use it (much less anyone else), you have to properly unwrap your object. And the bump map height will always be just as tied to the mesh as the texture. Making libraries of materials out of UV textures? No. The only step it would save you is caching the path to the texture and bump images. And that's only assuming you don't move anything. :D

Perhaps a "challenge" to see who can post a link to the highest quality, highest resolution, most usable, most royalty-free, etc. online texture image repositories is a better idea.

matsta

Post by matsta » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 pm

haha a link challenge :D lol

cuold b fun :P

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm

Well, that's kind of why I've started posting free tileable textures here. So has Wytraven. From there, you can easily work out a material (or a number of materials) with just a few steps.

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:20 am

Yea, like you and me and probably half the people here, we all have Gigs of the stuff. The problem is, at least for me, I got them from whereever I could. I'm not sure of their copyright status. If you don't remember the fiasco Kator Legaz went through with the Blender Mesh Repository last year, it really bummed the entire blendering community out, the guy had to take everything offline and only put back his own creations while trying to track down ownership of the thousands of others. I don't want that to happen to anyone, ever.

There's no way for me to tell that just because I grabbed image sets off of some website, that some schmuck didn't bittorrent pirated commercial textures, blank the comments, and rename them. We have to put up only self-created textures, or ones where ownership and copyright status are known. Which is why I'm for posting links instead. I don't want nik's inbox to ever get a cease & desist from some lawyer due to something I posted. Let the other guy who's hosting them have that "pleasure".

BbB

Post by BbB » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:45 am

No problem at my end. Only posting textures I created myself from photos I took myself. In fact, this is pretty much all I'm using (plus the really pro textures I bought from Arroway) as I find very little of the stuff that's just lying around is useable at the end of the day.

filippo

Post by filippo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:38 am

there is not the test scene to test the matrial?
filippo
sorry for my poor language
2x Xeon quad core ghz 2.66(8 core)+4g ram+quadro fx
2 x Xeon Quad 5540 (16 core)+16GB ram+ Nvidia GTX 295 1800mb

21 posts