Artifacts with rendered glass

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
sk2k

Artifacts with rendered glass

Post by sk2k » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi,

i exported a scene from blender with blendigo. The glass ist subdivided and smoothed. The glass looks ok but not the shadows/caustics. I marked the areas where it looks odd.

Anyone knows what's maybe wrong here?

MfG
sk2k
Attachments
ice_glass.jpg
ice_glass.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:44 pm

share your blender file please

sk2k

Post by sk2k » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:55 am

Hi,

i attached the scene file. Maybe it's my fault somewhere because i never used Blender and Indigo extensively before.

MfG
sk2k
Attachments
testneu3.zip
(252.82 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 am

looks like smoothing errors....

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:13 am

ok... I think, I can see it...
the surface isn't perfectly round... I think....
it ripples.
extremely slightly, but it does.

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:22 am

Hmm, I see face banding in the lower left circle you drew - are the faces set solid? If that's the case I have no idea what's going wrong. If it is a smoothing error, let me tell you, me and glass and autosmoothing have had a tough time with Indigo. I highly suggest using the EdgeSplit modifier. (thanks to Big Fan) There are smoothing errors that pop up after I think 25 degrees, so try it set to 25.

There's a thread I started last week like What IS it with me and glass? just below this one, see if following that gives you any insights.

One more thing, Indigo is more physically tied than blender. So if you're working with default blender primitives, you might end up with a glass that's 10 meters tall and 3 meters in diameter - this might account for the optic lens caustics; the walls would be a foot thick in Indigo space. (if this is the case, you can scale the models down, or use the world scale value in Blendigo to export it smaller.)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:00 am

I checked the scene, h.t. ;)
It's a well-smoothed glass with smoothing turned on, no need for edge-splitting and auto-smoothing turned off.
But I can see in the "Solid" shader, that the rounding isn't perfect... it's slightly waved...
and then, besides that, I dunno, if it's supposed to be, or not, but it's slightly squared - kinda looks like a glass, that was made by extrude+scale the default cube and subdividing it a few times (subdiv wont give perfect round stuff, but an extremely smoothed square-like shape ;))
- if it was done, that way, it doesn't explain the slightly wavy pattern, though...

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:41 am

Hmmm it does look like smoothing errors, but if you see the glass where the reflection is there is no facets there, maybe something that light amplifies as it goes through the glass and shows it on the ground surface, maybe very subdivided facets that the naked eye can't see :shock:
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

sk2k

Post by sk2k » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:01 am

@heavy
Thanks, i will read your thread and try the edge split modifier.

@kram
You are correct. It's a extruded, scaled, subdivide ordinary cube. :)

Btw. some days ago i imported a glass (.obj format, modelled in MoI) into Blender and the resulting glass in Indigo was worser then the glass i modelled now. I tried smoothing, sudividing, etc. nothing helped. The faces were clearly visible on the glass.

MfG
sk2k

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 am

very strange....
So, you actually can't see the bug in my image (would need to render it for several hours longer xD)

sk2k

Post by sk2k » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:44 am

Ok, i think i give up. :(

Autosmoothing, edge split, etc. nothing fixed the problem.

MfG
sk2k

Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:20 pm

I don't know, I opened the scene, you have some geometry errors on the glass lip, duplicated verts and overlapping faces, and MAN the density there is insanely high, but even razoring the top of the glass off and making it only one quad across, it still has the same end result.

If you turn off bidir and lower the glass gain, it will probably look fine, sans those beautiful bidir caustics...

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:57 am

hum... I didn't notice any of these problems O.o
But I had to change the liquid's material

13 posts • Page 1 of 1