Experiments..

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
OnoSendai
Developer

Re: Experiments..

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:18 am

Also, here are some tests of rendering voxel data:
Attachments
fbm perturbed sphere.png
loop5.png

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Very nice stuff Ono!

The speedup for volumetric rendering is great for sure, but 2h on that cloud are still quite.... long :/
(keeping in mind that your hardware is more potent then my...)
But I know that these sss stuff doesn't come for free...

Regarding the usage of voxel data I'm interested if you enable loading of external files or igs based code?
polygonmanufaktur.de

lycium

Post by lycium » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Nick was rendering that on his laptop, not the office desktop PC. Also, it's still early code... the important thing is that he wrote a scalable system :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Gah! Amazing. What file formats does/will it support? I can give you a list of useful ones if you're looking for ideas!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Zom-B wrote:Very nice stuff Ono!

The speedup for volumetric rendering is great for sure, but 2h on that cloud are still quite.... long :/
(keeping in mind that your hardware is more potent then my...)
But I know that these sss stuff doesn't come for free...

Regarding the usage of voxel data I'm interested if you enable loading of external files or igs based code?
Hi Zom-B,
As Thomas said, this is all rendered on a laptop. That said, unbiased rendering of stuff like dense clouds will always be a little slow, just because there can be so much scattering without absorption.

The voxel data is loaded from an external file.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:12 pm

StompinTom wrote:Gah! Amazing. What file formats does/will it support? I can give you a list of useful ones if you're looking for ideas!
Hi Tom,
Currently I'm using what I think is the blender voxel format, which is very simple -
It has a small header with the width, height, depth, and num frames, then the data follows.
It's not the greatest format, as it lacks a magic number, is not extensible etc..
I don't see why I shouldn't be able to support multiple voxel formats however, in a similar way to how multiple image formats can be read for textures.

Please do pass on the list, all ideas are welcome!

Also if anyone has nice volumetric/voxel data to render (especially nice smoke data), then please send it over (by email/dropbox etc..)!

lycium

Post by lycium » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Feature req: emission sampling from volumes :)

I'll certainly want to make some volume data to render soon!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 am

Awesome Ono !

It's great that Indigo is can resolve voxels, between cubes and sphere primitives it would have been a mess anyways. Splendid !

Now, you can still specify volumetric shaders for scattering and absorbtion ? Kudos !
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 am

CTZn wrote:Awesome Ono !

It's great that Indigo is can resolve voxels, between cubes and sphere primitives it would have been a mess anyways. Splendid !

Now, you can still specify volumetric shaders for scattering and absorbtion ? Kudos !
Yes, you will be able to use shaders, or voxel data, or combine the two in a shader.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:25 am

Voxels to define parameters ? oh of course. Outstanding !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Zom-B wrote: What kind of dataset(s) will be supported? Interesting to see if some compatibility to density datasets generated by some existing Apps will be given.
We'll probably make our own volumetric format, and then publish the specs.
Bump :)
obsolete asset

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:40 am

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:Gah! Amazing. What file formats does/will it support? I can give you a list of useful ones if you're looking for ideas!
Hi Tom,
Currently I'm using what I think is the blender voxel format, which is very simple -
It has a small header with the width, height, depth, and num frames, then the data follows.
It's not the greatest format, as it lacks a magic number, is not extensible etc..
I don't see why I shouldn't be able to support multiple voxel formats however, in a similar way to how multiple image formats can be read for textures.

Please do pass on the list, all ideas are welcome!

Also if anyone has nice volumetric/voxel data to render (especially nice smoke data), then please send it over (by email/dropbox etc..)!
File formats that I think are pretty typical for point clouds are .pts, .pod (PointTools), .xyz, .vrml. I'll keep a lookout for more. PTS especially seems to be around, and I think it can hold color data as well... Would be great to see it rendered in Indigo!

Ilay
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Ilay » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 am

OnoSendai wrote:Also, here are some tests of rendering voxel data:
Hello
Incredible!!!
Looking at loop5 sample:
If we will have point3d coordinates(for example c4d's hair guide), and printf(by python) to isl shader(constructor, thanks to Yves)... will get volumetric hair?
I'm sorry for my bad English

Helenni

Post by Helenni » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Interesting clouds, nice!

fbrunell

Post by fbrunell » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:36 pm

OnoSendai wrote:A new cloud render!
I've implemented some fancy new techniques that are helping to speed up volumetric rendering (for non-uniform densities). This particular cloud is actually using voxel data (200x200x200 grid).
Hello Ono,

I've been searching like hell in the blogs to find out how you did that cloud. I'm trying to create a small cloud sitting on the floor (don't ask, it's for a network diagram) and I couldn't find any material nor any information on the scene setup (object, etc.). Is it possilbe to reproduce through Blender?

Have you ever been able to document that scene/material?

250 posts