Experiments..

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Soup

Re: Experiments..

Post by Soup » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 am

awesome!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:02 am

StompinTom wrote:Other engines have a Ozone setting in their model too, but I never really figure out what it does... I'm assuming the Indigo sky model doesn't use such a thing?
It's used in the transmittance calculations for direct sunlight in the usual Indigo sky model, but is not user-tweakable.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 am

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:Other engines have a Ozone setting in their model too, but I never really figure out what it does... I'm assuming the Indigo sky model doesn't use such a thing?
It's used in the transmittance calculations for direct sunlight in the usual Indigo sky model, but is not user-tweakable.
Cool! Hope to see more purdy sunrise and sunset pictures soon :D

In the earlier Maxwell sky models and in the Indigo sky model, sunsets tended to look too yellow or even greenish sometimes... Is this an issue with the sky model or is it just the way it works?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 am

Really loving the planet. Does that mean that we can expect some planet tutorials? :) Was that just done the same way as the sunset was done? Can you assign an "atmophere" material?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 pm

neo0. wrote:Really loving the planet. Does that mean that we can expect some planet tutorials? :) Was that just done the same way as the sunset was done? Can you assign an "atmophere" material?
Yup, the same scene, just the camera is about 20,000 km further away from the Earth :)

I'll definitely write up a tutorial on how to set up the scene.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 pm

StompinTom wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:
Cool! Hope to see more purdy sunrise and sunset pictures soon :D

In the earlier Maxwell sky models and in the Indigo sky model, sunsets tended to look too yellow or even greenish sometimes... Is this an issue with the sky model or is it just the way it works?
Probly an issue with the sky model used, it tends to freak out in corner cases.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
neo0. wrote:Really loving the planet. Does that mean that we can expect some planet tutorials? :) Was that just done the same way as the sunset was done? Can you assign an "atmophere" material?
Yup, the same scene, just the camera is about 20,000 km further away from the Earth :)

Now I can finally do my space scene the right way instead of having to photoshop a 2D pic onto it!

Something else that I think would be kind of cool is if indigo could also render stars.If you render your scene at night, you could get a starry sky to go along with your clouds (and maybe even an aurora borealis!)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 pm

neo0. wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:

Now I can finally do my space scene the right way instead of having to photoshop a 2D pic onto it!

Something else that I think would be kind of cool is if indigo could also render stars.If you render your scene at night, you could get a starry sky to go along with your clouds (and maybe even an aurora borealis!)
That's what HDRIs and background plates are for...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:39 pm

True, but unless im mistaken those aren't physically correct, with respect to their real world equivalents.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:50 am

I suppose so, but then again, having a polygon skin made up of triangles that roughly approximate a sphere to simulate a planet isn't physically correct either.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 am

Soup wrote:awesome!
Ditto !

Would turbidity of the atmosphere be parametric ? Oh wow, the thread would come full circle :D

I'm also guessing that the planet maps are up to the user (albedo, elevation etc).
obsolete asset

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:05 pm

StompinTom wrote:I suppose so, but then again, having a polygon skin made up of triangles that roughly approximate a sphere to simulate a planet isn't physically correct either.
Im guessing it's a better approximation however.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm

OnoSendai wrote:A new test render :)

That looks awesome.. :shock:
samlavoie.xyz

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:43 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:if each particle was treated as a spherical volume, with a user defined radius (so basically a 3d halo) with the option of modifying the density of the smoke with a sort of procedural texture, like you used in the clouds?

naturally, i have no idea of how to do that.
It would be relatively simple to read in a list of particles, and 'splat' them into a volume map, using some kind of 3d filter for each particle (e.g. gaussian, step function, etc..)
Then the volume map could be used for rendering.
Alternatively the particles could be stored in their own data structure, which might be better for sparser sets, but that would be a bit trickier to code.
I would like to keep the topic alive, all interesting points. I am not sure I am understanding the last sentence however... I plaid for an own Indigo format provided that it would be flexible enough.

In terms of flexibility it would be great if Winter was able to lookup per particle custom parametersn including positions. At a later time, specifying a shading domain from a curve would be great. Is this all practicable ?

Here's how I am naively imagining a candidate format :)

for n points:

- points count (optional)
- one mandatory set of positions: 3n values, just as tabulated data.
- other optional sets for keyframes.
- optional custom parameters, each as a table of n values, or Xn values where X is an integer, so floats, UV and colors could be passed at once.

A simple cloud of 4 points:

- cloud
- - pointsSet[0]{x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 x3 y3 z3 x4 y4 z4}

for 4 points (with two keyframes and one constant pp parameter):

- cloud
- - pointsSet[1]{x5 y5 z5 x6 y6 z6 x7 y7 z7 x8 y8 z8}
- - myCustomHeatParam[0][c1 c2 c3 c4]

for 4 points (with two keyframes, one animated and one constant parameter):

preferred ?

- cloud
- - myCustomHeatParam[0]{c1 c2 c3 c4}
- - myCustomHeatParam[1]{c5 c6 c7 c8}
- - myCustomColor[0]{r1 g1 b1 r2 g2 b2 r3 g3 b3 r4 g4 b4}

or

- cloud
- - myCustomHeatParam[0]{c1 c2 c3 c4}
- - myCustomHeatParam[1]{c5 c6 c7 c8}
- - myCustomColorR[0]{r1 r2 r3 r4}
- - myCustomColorG[0]{g1 g2 g3 g4}
- - myCustomColorB[0]{b1 b2 b3 b4}

Lots of things to interpolate, but dynamic unbiased smoke, woah !

edit: it might be interesting for performances concerns to bypass Winter and assign these values directly to the medium of choice ?

Volume emission would become a must also, as in "glowing gas".
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 am

A new cloud render!
I've implemented some fancy new techniques that are helping to speed up volumetric rendering (for non-uniform densities). This particular cloud is actually using voxel data (200x200x200 grid).
Attachments
cloud3.png

250 posts