UI feedback

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: UI feedback

Post by Originalplan® » Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am

ErichBoehm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 am
There are are many industrial design firms here in Silicon Valley that would love to use Indigo in their offices.
www.indigorenderer.com :wink:

Show them :) easy fix.

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 am

My idea as far as a "scene" file was to function more like a continuous session. So, say you nailed down the perfect camera setting in Indigo, but then noticed that you had to make a change in say Sketchup (I know, I am biased.) Indigo would recognize that you are still working on the same project and then will give you the option to bring back those previously discovered perfect settings without having to load any files. This scene file would save render progress as well, so hat if you were to switch to a different project and return later, you could pick up where you left off with a single click instead of loading multiple files.

I wonder if the light layers could be somehow linked to the emitter section of the online database or maybe a an online collection of IES lights. Just some food for thought. :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 am

Ne0.
polygonmanufaktur.de

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Having a lot of fun with Indigo. Some more thoughts
1) "Assign material" doesn't seem to work when the render is paused. I could be wrong, but this makes assigning materials kind of hard if you are using software rendering (I am on a MacBook Air that doesn't really work well with Indigo's GPU rendering) as you have to wait a while before you can see what you are assigning your material too.

2) If would be nice if we could select objects in the viewport and click on a material to assign to everything selected. To this end, some sort of option for assigning materials to individual objects or assigning them to every object with the same material would be nice.

3) Positioning HDRs is kind of difficulty for the non-technically inclined. It would be be nice if there was a "position hdr" button that we could hit and then just drag in the viewport to position the HDR. A wireframe mode or something similar would be enabled so we could get a better idea of where things are facing with respect to the environment map.

4) Picking out your material from the scene list can be kind of tedious and overwhelming when there are so many to choose from. Thumbnails would be very helpful here. Little 150x150 thumbnails would be very helpful. The great thing about this is that you could bring in new ways to blend materials. Eg, clicking and dragging on top of another one to blend them. It would be neat if we could create folders too to organize our materials. The online material browser could also be integrated into the scene window somehow, and you could add materials simply by dragging and dropping them. How about maybe cloud material storage so you could access you materials anywhere? Just an idea. :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 am
Ne0.
:lol:

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:01 am

Hah, what gave it away?

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 am

Anyway, the online material browser is a great touch! It helps to be able to visualize things without splitting your attention. A couple things that I think would really help to boost productivity
-Add a back button and categories for browsing.
-Let us adjust the size of the thumbnails with a slider or better yet, give us a "grid" view where the whole window is utilized. The current "list" view leaves lots of unused empty space.
-Give us the ability to download the material to our local database.

Would also love to see a "colorize" option for the text editor.

I think Indigo shows great promise for being a widely used tool in the creative industry. There are many agencies that would love this kind of technology for their marketing team. Indigo just needs a little more focus on it's user experience, and I think it would be poised to make a big splash. Thanks for the great work Glare!

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am

Couple more thoughts after using this
-Would be nice be able to select all objects in the scene by material. That way, if you want to replace every object that has material x assigned to it with "material y", you don't have to manually go through and do this one by one.
-No way to assign a light layer to an HDR.
-No undo or reset buttons for the camera settings.
-When assigning materials, you have to wait for the object to be rendered out in the viewport to the point where you can distinguish things. This slows you down, and it would be nice to be able to select objects and assign materials from the Open GL window.
-Would be nice to have integrated cloud rendering support, but this is just nitpick.
-Selecting materials behind other materials can be hard, especially in a complex scene. Eg. Lights behind a glass cover on a car.
-No way to adjust the luminance of a light source. Yes, there are light layers, and those are a great, but what if I want to bump up a light by exactly 10 units?
-Scrolling through panels with the "two finger" method on the Macbook trackpad often results in accidently changing fields and restarting your render.
-A "PSD" export option that drops each object onto it's own layer would be great.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful that Indigo still is being offered for free, and I think that if even some of these design issues were addressed, I think Indigo has some real promise to be used in the creative industry.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:24 am

ErichBoehm wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am

Don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful that Indigo still is being offered for free
It is?

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 pm

ErichBoehm wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am
-No way to adjust the luminance of a light source. Yes, there are light layers, and those are a great, but what if I want to bump up a light by exactly 10 units?
While not being quite as explicit as it probably should, you have to select the emitter object and the select the amount of luminance you desire.

Zalevskiy
3D Software: Blender

Post by Zalevskiy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 am

+1
I agree with the author of the post, the first item working with materials (replace material option)

especially this problem occurs if objects with the same name are present in the scene
1. invisible to camera Mesh Bezel NEW (Glass material)
2. fill materials watches (inside clock face elements)
3. try found invisible to camera Mesh Bezel_NEW and ... 500 object manual click mouse = waste of time :(

offered this feature (3 years ago)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14134&p=137428#p137428
Attachments
2019-08-11_222313.jpg

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 am

A "delete material" option would be nice as well.

I do design by trade, and coming off Affinity Designer and Adobe's Industry standard products, it just seems like Indigo crashes quite often. I had several crashes when importing materials in a big scene for instance, and now all the dropdowns have become completely unresponsive and has crashed now. Sketchup informed me that there was a"problem with my model," so I can only assume it is related to that.

Maybe this is related

WARNING: Mesh 'component pillow' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#6' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#11' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#10' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#7' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#13' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#12' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Stairs Floating' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Rotary 2 Post Symmetric Auto Lift' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#95' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#93' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
WARNING: Mesh 'component Group#94' had zero triangles/quads, ignoring it.
Processing Environment Map...

But I have no idea.
Attachments
Indigo_Crash.pdf
(173.67 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Autosave feature would be fantastic. Any creative professional or company who has millions resting on a project would be very reluctant to use a tool that has no recovery option.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:16 pm

The thing is, indigo saves the igi and then you can use the resume

ErichBoehm

Post by ErichBoehm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:33 am

It's not that user friendly though. It picks the name for you, and you often have to dig through your computer to find them. You have all sorts of file types too, which can we confusing. What I am asking for would be a feature where instead of outputting multiple files, Indigo continuously overwrites a file which can be opened via the UI as well as well as automatically opened if you experience a crash.

31 posts