Led lamp optical simulation

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
davide445

Led lamp optical simulation

Post by davide445 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Interested to know if Indigo as unbiased renderer is able to accurately simulate a led lamp and a front optic effect.
Need to meet with a local company producing specialized outdoor led lamps and that's why I'm interested on the topic.

davide445

Re: Led lamp optical simulation

Post by davide445 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:43 am

Looking at this
Appear is definitely possible

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am

Hey davide,
in general, many things can be simulated with Indigo. Could you be more specific? With pictures, examples, models, specs? What exactly do you want to achieve? Depending on the complexity of the simulation and the desired output, things could be simulated or perhaps faked. Simulating lights and producing product visualizations could be two very different things...

davide445

Post by davide445 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 pm

You are right the question was I'll posted.
My idea is to find more topics to speak with the company marketing and R&D department, thinking about innovating methodology and tools.

I was wondering if Indigo can be used for the ray tracing tasks done with this kind illumination design software
https://www.synopsys.com/optical-soluti ... tools.html
I didn't know them just searched for the keyword.

What I didn't understand is if this kind of simulator does produce more accurate results vs Indigo, so that hey are in fact in two different classes (simulation vs just visualization) or there are superimposition.
I can actually design a lighting equipment using Indigo to verify in a reliable way the final effect in term of light distribution? And what about light intensity, can I also obtain that from Indigo?

If Indigo can be applicable will be interesting to evaluate the benefits in using it considering the great speed and accuracy, but this is valid also for the GPU based PT model? Or to be comparatively accurate I need to rely on the CPU only MLT?

Also wondering if there are any tricky point about materials and light specs that can't be correctly modeled with Indigo (i.e. vector refractive index).

davide445

Post by davide445 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:05 am

Reading the forum I did find there are others asking for this kind of things
https://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vi ... 28#p140728
https://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vi ... =5&t=13688
Appear after all Indigo is not ready for that even if does have probably all the opportunities to.

burnin

Post by burnin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

you might want to take a look at this:
Porsche Panamera Executive - Official Trailer ~45s in (@ Indigo Render News)
& car Tail lamp lit up rendering (@ LuxRender forums)

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Interesting topic!

Specialized simulation tools usually are aimed at specific industries and are usually aimed as specific industries.
As an individual with a strong interest but lacking the sort of industrial strength financial backing I decided to use Indigo to help design my lighting "fixtures">

The images below are from my blog ( https://trippylighting.com ) that sees to few entries these days.

The two images that can be seen here were raw. Nothing was calibrated in that workflow, the rendering came straight out of Indigo and the Photo was taken with an iPhone.
I did take special provisions to make sure to capture the details of the actual LED emitters but I did not use such things as tabulated spectra etc.

So I believe, depending on what your really after this can be done with Indigo. Much depends on how accurately you are able to define the inputs.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Cool stuff!

This is where better / more apparent color management tools would really come in handy. We have the ability to export linear / raw EXRs - which is fantastic - but would be great to preview this within Indigo and export images in specific color spaces and formats (and add LUTs :) )

Knowing that, one would be able to do render -> photo comparisons or compositing much smoother and more accurately.

http://shootdatapost.com/blog/2014/5/16 ... 10-minutes

davide445

Post by davide445 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 am

Apologize for not giving any feedback, I'm dividing my time among many different project and none of them so far involve the usage of rendering tools.
Im in the feasibility study of a construction management support tool that might be, but to be seen also how the things are going to be.
The meetings with the company was at the end not producing any results.
Indeed a really beautiful work @Headroom!

9 posts • Page 1 of 1