Interior white walls and light rebounds

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
Lal-O
2nd Place Winner
3D Software: SketchUp

Interior white walls and light rebounds

Post by Lal-O » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 am

Hi Guys

Well , as title says .... What do i need to do to get white interior walls and homogenous illumination in my interior spaces? (Just like in the examples below taken from the indigo's gallery :wink: ).

I've tried with the camera settings, light layers ,wall openings and Hdri lightings, but not luck. If the light in the exterior is strong my interior gets darker and get some overxposed (exterior) areas. I know that this effct is correct due indigo is physically accurate , so... it is possible (physically speaking)to achieve those resuls without any tricks,like adding lights and so on ?

I used to be a Vray user (but i got tired of flat and unrealistic images) and i remember there was an option to increase the light rebounds...with this option it was possible to have homogenous lighting, does indigo has an option like that?

Thanks in advance :D
Attachments
What i get.jpg
What i want.jpg
Last edited by Lal-O on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesquirell

Re: Interior white walls and light rebounds

Post by thesquirell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 am

I remember this old trick when taking interior photographs: you make one overexposed (long film exposure), and then another one, underexposed(short film exposure). Then you layer them together in Photoshop, to achieve that homogenous illumination. Did you try using different response functions? Usually with a good hdri map and agfapan-apx-025CD resposne function I'm able to achieve this, but then again, most of the time, I simply apply that old trick.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm thinking same thing as our friend the squirrel: vray is not phisically correct, so you can use tricks to achieve what you want. Indigo is physically correct, so you can't cheat. If a room is dark, it's dark and there's nothing you can do with your compact camera to make it look big and extra well-lit.

BUT

if you're a professional photographer you can have reflecting panels, white umbrellas and everything, and you will be able to place them correctly to achieve what you desire. You can also take several shots and combine them in photoshop the get the correct balance between interior and exterior.

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Most probably it's been lighten from behind-right, it's visible on left cabinet. If you make interior photographs you also light them with smart placed umbrellas.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 am

What about some simple curves/levels?
Attachments
What%20i%20get2.jpg

burnin

Post by burnin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:52 am

Oscar J wrote:What about some simple curves/levels?
Would advise same, since you got HDR image at hand all you need to do is tonne mapping it to your heart's desire (properly). :wink:

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:32 am

Cool !!!

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll give a try to everyone's advice given to see which one works best.
The right way would be to do it like in real life ( adding lights, objects etc etc) But it would be a lot of extra work ( which wont make me happy :lol: ) .

Thx again guys :!:

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 am

Whoever posted the best solution earns a crate of bear! :D Good luck with your scenes, and work, architecturally the posted image you are currently working on promises a lot, really like it. Godspeed!

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 am

thesquirell wrote:Whoever posted the best solution earns a crate of bear! :D Good luck with your scenes, and work, architecturally the posted image you are currently working on promises a lot, really like it. Godspeed!
:lol:
Thanks mate !!!

Nikolaj Knudsen

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 am

Start by turning up the power on all your interior lights they will light up your room indirectly. I always use Indigo as a sort of light simulation when doing a project. If some areas are to dark it always means you're not generus with the lamps. Another thing is the use of build-in spots in the ceiling. In my opinion a bad decision - they give you a harsh light on people an furniture with unnatural shadows (you're better of with side-light). Use them in hallways, bathrooms or where the light can wash down a wall. In open space use pendels with some amount af light upwards as well as down.

Cheers Nik

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 am

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Start by turning up the power on all your interior lights they will light up your room indirectly. I always use Indigo as a sort of light simulation when doing a project. If some areas are to dark it always means you're not generus with the lamps. Another thing is the use of build-in spots in the ceiling. In my opinion a bad decision - they give you a harsh light on people an furniture with unnatural shadows (you're better of with side-light). Use them in hallways, bathrooms or where the light can wash down a wall. In open space use pendels with some amount af light upwards as well as down.

Cheers Nik
Thx for the tips Nikolaj , for sure i'll give them a try in my next interior projects. :D

11 posts • Page 1 of 1